Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Land of opportunity...

Land of opportunity...

Old Jul 26th 2008, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land of opportunity...

Originally Posted by Elvira
20% can add up to quite a lot.

How much is 20% of a heart bypass............. of cancer treatment...... etc...
Lots. Thus, that is one of my frequent criticisms of Medicare. With most private policies I have seen (could be others, I certainly haven't seem them all) it is also 20% - but there is a limit to out of pocket cost per year. I do not believe Medicare has any such limit.

In fairness, it's 20% of a lower amount - as Medicare has lower reimbursement rates than private pay or private insurance. But for something like you mention, I doubt that would matter too much.

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
don't disagree with that at all.....but certainly not all disabled people have to pay a co-pay. Or maybe you're not meaning permanently disabled - which is what I'm thinking.
Lisa, I think you are wrong on this one. Medicare is for those who are permanently disabled - and it most certainly does have a co-pay. For everyone, as far as I know.

Medicaid (for the basically destitute) might not - I don't know.

But Medicare is the govt run medical part of the "disability insurance" that you pay into - and if you end up using it, you will certainly have a deductible.

It's better for hospitalization btw.

Originally Posted by Songbird
My apologies if I took you out of context - I just skimmed your post and responded.
No problem

Last edited by Tracym; Jul 26th 2008 at 9:41 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:08 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
Your situation as stated above is everybodies worse nightmare of the system out there. It's the ultimate test of anyone, in any country but to face the cost of stuff out there on top of the everyday must be beyond daunting.

Offering sympathies somehow seems entirely inadequate. This arguement used to make my blood boil just on principle, it still does to a point, I can only imagine what hearing it is like for you.
Well it's certainly been a 'challenge' - and the old adage 'what doesn't kill us makes us stronger' certainly wasn't coined by someone who had had dealings with the US health care system Yes I (we) are tired of trying to keep those plates spinning BUT spin them we will, for as long as possible I've told him next time I'm marrying for money not love, preferably a texan with a LARGE oil well (j/k)
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's certainly been a 'challenge' - and the old adage 'what doesn't kill us makes us stronger' certainly wasn't coined by someone who had had dealings with the US health care system Yes I (we) are tired of trying to keep those plates spinning BUT spin them we will, for as long as possible I've told him next time I'm marrying for money not love, preferably a texan with a LARGE oil well (j/k)
Take on a second husband - heck, lots of guys take on more wives
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your kind words - unfortunately it is a situation we have to deal with day and day out. That being said we are both fighters and giving up is not an option. Sometimes though the pressure does get a bit much as does reading some of the comments about the 'virtues' of the US health care provision. Our ( and more so his) experience is not one I would wish on my worst enemy.

My apologies if I took you out of context - I just skimmed your post and responded.

I would just like to add that I can fully accept that there are things beyond our reach in this life BUT adequate, equitable and affordable health care SHOULDN'T be one of them. Health care is NOT 'optional', an added luxury, it's a fundamental human right ESPECIALLY in a country with an advanced economy. It's a crucial determinate between who lives and who dies. That such a 'decision' should in any way be based upon economic factors is imo morally reprehensible. Sure we can discuss the pros and cons of different ways of servicing that need BUT we must have as our premise that NEED comes before COST. If we can agree on that then we are at least heading in the right direction.
I don't know who has sung the virtues of American health care - certainly not me. I do know that I have disabled relatives who are permanently disabled and pay nothing for their medical care. By saying my circumstances have been different it doesn't mean I I care less about yours.

Yes there should be a better system, I've never said there shouldn't. We currently have to ante up $2200 deductible per person should we need a doctor or medicine. Its a very frightening prospect.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym

Lisa, I think you are wrong on this one. Medicare is for those who are permanently disabled - and it most certainly does have a co-pay. For everyone, as far as I know.

Medicaid (for the basically destitute) might not - I don't know.

But Medicare is the govt run medical part of the "disability insurance" that you pay into - and if you end up using it, you will certainly have a deductible.

It's better for hospitalization btw.

No problem
Yes I know about Medicare being better. And I must say that a lot of my information is first hand with Medi-cal - so not sure how good or bad Medicaid is.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:28 pm
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know who has sung the virtues of American health care - certainly not me. I do know that I have disabled relatives who are permanently disabled and pay nothing for their medical care. By saying my circumstances have been different it doesn't mean I I care less about yours.

Yes there should be a better system, I've never said there shouldn't. We currently have to ante up $2200 deductible per person should we need a doctor or medicine. Its a very frightening prospect.
Well at least your tax dollars are working for you
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes I know about Medicare being better. And I must say that a lot of my information is first hand with Medi-cal - so not sure how good or bad Medicaid is.
Sorry, I was unclear.

Medicare has a better deductible for hospitalization than it does for outpatient. Outpatient deductible is always 20% as far as I know.

Medi-cal - isn't that just for California?

I think most ppl would have Medicare or Medicaid, as those are national. Medicaid might not have deductibles, but you'd have to be destitute to get it.

Permanently disabled folks on Medicare pay their 20% deductible for outpatient care. Drug plans are complicated, I haven't a clue. But there certainly is a cost. Actually, I believe that there is a cost for the Medicare itself ($80 per month or so) that is subtracted from the disability income that they get as well.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why is this so difficult to comprehend? Those who are in employment, not pregnant and not suffering from a chronic condition, DO pay a co-payment. The rest don't.

This is a simple, non-bureaucratic system. Anything else would require lots of complicated means-testing, which would increase administrative costs.

The government sets a budget for the NHS and adjusts taxes accordingly. This may be an oversimplification, but it sure beats the complicated US system.

Were you aware that over a THIRD of healthcare costs in the US is for administration? I.e. paperpushers, billing, coding, disputing, paying..... blablabla..........
I may be mistaken, but doesn't France have a better health care system? Sorry, just bits and pieces I picked up when I lived in the UK - and certainly through television programs and not first hand. But don't their citizens have to supplement their medical programs out of pocket? Certainly the cash strapped NHS (who send some of their surgical patients over there) might have to take a look at that system..... Increasing taxes and even getting money from council tax might not be enough.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I was unclear.

Medicare has a better deductible for hospitalization than it does for outpatient. Outpatient deductible is always 20% as far as I know.

I think most ppl would have Medicare or Medicaid, as those are national. Medicaid might not have deductibles, but you'd have to be destitute to get it.

Permanently disabled folks on Medicare pay their 20% deductible for outpatient care. Drug plans are complicated, I haven't a clue. But there certainly is a cost. Actually, I believe that there is a cost for the Medicare itself ($80 per month or so) that is subtracted from the disability income that they get as well.
This gets worse, not better
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry, I was unclear.

Yes Medi-cal is just California. A pretty good program that is going steadily downhill like everything else.

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Were you aware that over a THIRD of healthcare costs in the US is for administration? I.e. paperpushers, billing, coding, disputing, paying..... blablabla..........
And what happens when you dump all those people onto the unemployment rolls when you break down their system?!!!
Chaos I tell you!
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kali-forniarrr
Well at least your tax dollars are working for you
I'm not paying 17% vat - but then again, you said you were? For a program you're not allowed to use? Is that correct?
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Making a few more people pay 6 quid here and there aint gonna solve your stated funding issue.
Oh, there isn't a funding issue then? The NHS is forever in the black?
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This gets worse, not better
Yep.

And this is our sterling example of our govt. run health care program. I am a frequent critic.

Retired folks who have paid into the system sufficiently also get social security and Medicare. Same deal. Most of them that can manage it buy private insurance to supplement the Medicare (i.e. pay the deductibles). Drug plans, I don't know at the moment, but I suspect there is still significant cost for many seniors.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

I may be mistaken, but doesn't France have a better health care system? Sorry, just bits and pieces I picked up when I lived in the UK - and certainly through television programs and not first hand. But don't their citizens have to supplement their medical programs out of pocket? Certainly the cash strapped NHS (who send some of their surgical patients over there) might have to take a look at that system..... Increasing taxes and even getting money from council tax might not be enough.
Yes, they do, all in all they pay quite a lot more for their medical provision. The French social security system all round, is not free from financial straits by any stretch of the imagination.

Lots and lots of the population are exepmt from the co-pay element of the system though, and you can bet your bottom dollar that disabled people are included in that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.