Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

LA Specific - Looking for decent accommodation

LA Specific - Looking for decent accommodation

Old Jan 4th 2012, 3:10 pm
On The Brink

S_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to all
Default LA Specific - Looking for decent accommodation

Hi all,

I have a really specific query and I'll appreciate advice from all of you

We're nearly set to move to LA, we've had our visa's initially approved and we've started packing up our UK life but we're stumped finding a place to stay.

The company sponsoring us has agreed to pay for 2 months of temporary accommodation and a relo agency. Unfortunately we've discovered that the budget they've set is so low that the agency can't find anything close to the office in Downtown and are suggesting an 'extended stay' place by LAX.

Does this seem reasonable to you? Ideally we'd like something really local (I know, I know- I have to give up my fantasy of walking to work!). We have $2500 a month, no option for increasing the budget and have to stay in a commercial let = no private landlords for us as the relocation agency say they can't guarantee quality. Any advice?

To us, the first few months rental seems really important as it will give us a chance to explore the area and decide where we want to stay long term. Initially we're also only going to have one car so there's the possibility our L2 is going to be trapped in a complex in the middle of nowhere while waiting on their EAD!
(Excuse the madness creeping into this - the pressure of getting this move off the ground is starting to add up )
Old Jan 4th 2012, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LA Specific - Looking for decent accommodation

Originally Posted by S_C_P
Hi all,

I have a really specific query and I'll appreciate advice from all of you

We're nearly set to move to LA, we've had our visa's initially approved and we've started packing up our UK life but we're stumped finding a place to stay.

The company sponsoring us has agreed to pay for 2 months of temporary accommodation and a relo agency. Unfortunately we've discovered that the budget they've set is so low that the agency can't find anything close to the office in Downtown and are suggesting an 'extended stay' place by LAX.

Does this seem reasonable to you? Ideally we'd like something really local (I know, I know- I have to give up my fantasy of walking to work!). We have $2500 a month, no option for increasing the budget and have to stay in a commercial let = no private landlords for us as the relocation agency say they can't guarantee quality. Any advice?

To us, the first few months rental seems really important as it will give us a chance to explore the area and decide where we want to stay long term. Initially we're also only going to have one car so there's the possibility our L2 is going to be trapped in a complex in the middle of nowhere while waiting on their EAD!
(Excuse the madness creeping into this - the pressure of getting this move off the ground is starting to add up )
The only "extended stay" places I've seen by LAX are seedier than I don't know what. You do not want to stay by LAX! Make them find you something further out, don't go east.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Manhattan Beach is nice. You might have to top up the rent but it's still a good deal.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:14 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

How about trying to find somewhere on the Metro train line then you can walk to the station at each end and still not bother with a car?

We stayed in the Oakwood apartments in North Hollywood when we arrived (you can't walk to a Metro from there though). The apartments were fairly large, well equiped and clean. There are quite a few Oakhill complexs around. I would stay away from LAX area, it's not the kind of place you would want to live.

Last edited by N1cky; Jan 4th 2012 at 4:59 pm. Reason: apartment name wrong doh...
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Talking about California then and not Louisiana then

What kind of sized place are you looking for? Chances are, you'll have to either top up the amount offered or find a much smaller place as that budget won't get you much of a house, in much of a nice neighbourhood...and yeah, forget finding anything in walking distance.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Drop the agency? I wouldn't be surprised if they got kick-backs from the commercial lets, hence the reluctance to work in your favor.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:17 pm
On The Brink

S_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to allS_C_P is a name known to all

• Hey N1cky, Did you stay here: http://snipurl.com/21jg7cl
  • Eeek! AmerLisa, seediness is exactly what we were worried about!
  • Thanks Sally R, we'll take a look.
  • Cheers Bob - I need to get my head 'round putting LA, CA right?

And, has anybody heard of/seen/stayed at any of these places before: http://www.furnapt.com/locations/
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:26 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

• Hey N1cky, Did you stay here: http://snipurl.com/21jg7cl
  • Eeek! AmerLisa, seediness is exactly what we were worried about!
  • Thanks Sally R, we'll take a look.
  • Cheers Bob - I need to get my head 'round putting LA, CA right?

And, has anybody heard of/seen/stayed at any of these places before: http://www.furnapt.com/locations/
Yep, that's where we stayed.

Not done the funished apartment thing myself but no people who have, there are some nice places out there if you can drop on one.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Apartments around LA are not cheap. My husband lived here for a year and me for three months. I loved it, Glendale is between Burbank and Pasadena and we had all we could need within walking distance. I really miss LA and was surprised at how much I liked it given I was a country bumpkin - I'd go back in a heartbeat.

I think our apartment was $2200. It was reasonably spacious 2 bed, 2 bath with a loft. I doubt that you'll find somewhere downtown really nice for anywhere near that amount ........... so walking to work hmmmmm you might have to forget about that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHLdmli3_HM
Old Jan 5th 2012, 1:23 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband works most of the time in LA, so he rents an apartment in West Hollywood. It's a very old, very tiny, 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom apt over the top of a carpet shop. He currently pays $1,300 a month for it.

Rene
Old Jan 5th 2012, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

I know a number of people from the UK that have come across to work for my company which is based near LAX. Most have ended up in extended stay apartments in Marina Del Ray, and have spoken pretty favorably of them. One is still there after 5 years which is a really extended stay

Personally I wouldn't stay in downtown LA if you paid me no matter how easy it makes the commute.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 5:16 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

We pay about $1400 for a furnished one-bedroom near Westwood, on the Westside. The shortest lease our apartment complex offers is 3 months. I'm sure corporate-oriented short-stay apartments are in a whole different price league, but I'm surprised the relo company can't come up with anything better than LAX for your budget!

If you're working Downtown, maybe somewhere around Miracle Mile or La Brea would be a good start? It's relatively good for public transport, and it's between Downtown and the Westside.

I wouldn't like to live Downtown, but that's just personal preference. I didn't grow up in California, so I enjoy the Westside charms/cliches of beaches, Beverly Hills, and bungalows.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 12:52 pm
On The Brink

Thanks for all your input guys, I've calmed down a bit now and realise that actually there are loads of perfectly nice places where we can stay. Just because the relocation company are rubbish doesn't mean I should accept their word that there is nothing out there.

Tbh, they scared us as they suggested we simply book a hotel for a few nights when we arrive and find something permanent during our first full day in the city. They said the rental market is moving so quickly that if we saw somewhere we thought we liked then we should take it there and then because places don't stay available for more than a few hours which really made my brain spin!

Anyway - deep breath - there are plenty of other things for me to panic over right now as I think we might be on track to move this month (of course this is still changeable depending on the whim of various agency's!)
Old Jan 5th 2012, 3:13 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Family member has a 2-bedroom apartment above a garage behind a house in Atwater for $1300. Built in 1947. A lot of stuff within walking distance and adjacent to the 180/181 bus which goes from Hollywood Metro Redline station to Pasadena.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Tbh, they scared us as they suggested we simply book a hotel for a few nights when we arrive and find something permanent during our first full day in the city. They said the rental market is moving so quickly that if we saw somewhere we thought we liked then we should take it there and then because places don't stay available for more than a few hours which really made my brain spin!
What a load of rubbish. Ask the company if you can do it yourself.

Moshi mentioned Miracle Mile and I think it was you I recommended Park La Brea to before? I would check this area out because it's nice and a straight run downtown.