Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

LA - advice pls re package expectations, cost of living & severance negotiations

LA - advice pls re package expectations, cost of living & severance negotiations

Old May 18th 2011, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

docholywood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: LA - advice pls re package expectations, cost of living & severance negotiations

Originally Posted by N1cky
I'm also really confused by the visa stuff you have put.
Sorry that's my fault

Will you get health cover for your fiance through your work and just have to pay for it, or will you have to go out and buy her an individual policy? You could be looking up to $1k a month. Do a search on here, lots of discussions recently.
She can be added to my policy but I will have to pay her premium. I don't know as yet what that will be though - but will be sure to find out. Will do a search to find out what a 'reasonable' figure is.

Company Cars are virtually unheard of out here. Just car allowances.
Ok I am being unrealistic - but I really don't want to risk having a finance deal within months of getting there so that's worry.

If you are a salaried employee (which it sounds like you will be) most US companies expect you to work whatever hours are needed for that salary. My hubby and most of his colleagues were working 60+ hour weeks for Feb-Apr, no extra compensation is expected by anyone.
Ok, sounds fair enough I guess, I didn't expect to have it easy for my salary, and am envisaging 60 hour weeks - I do 45 at the minute or more consistently all year so more hours around financial close is fine.

Likewise, company travel won't get any extra compensation.
Yikes they push you hard!

Most people start on 10 days holiday, so 20 days is pretty good.
Cool - I get 30 at the minutes in the UK so it's just ok in comparison! I was willing to 'accept' this as a compromise. lol.

As for negotiating flights to and from and relocation packages, it depends how strong your position is. If you are the only person they want then you might get more, you need to decide if you are willing to possibly jeapordize the job offer by making extra demands. Personally when we came out here it was a job offer that we desperately needed, leaving us little room to negotiate lots of add ons.
I'm in a fairly strong position for a variety of reasons but don't want to be unreasonable as that can make things sour - just what is fair to expect.

We lived in LA for the last 3 years, and how far your money goes really depends on where you live. We lived in The Valley which was fairly expensive, but if you get further out it can be cheaper. Ball park numbers budget around $3k a month for accommodation, $800 for your car, $300 for 2nd car (you aren't going to get good finance unless your company help you out) $650 insurance, gas, electric, water, tv... Gas and Groceries, Entertainment all depends can easily be $1k a month. So yes, definately do-able but you aren't going to be minted.
Hmm I was budgeting about $2.5k for rent and $1k for car(s), and about $750 for utilities and household bills, and $350 car insurance etc so I am wayyy off base there!

Thanks for the guidance Nicky!

Last edited by meauxna; May 18th 2011 at 9:47 pm.
Old May 18th 2011, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: LA - advice pls re package expectations, cost of living & severance negotiations

Originally Posted by Bob
There's a good wiki article on things you should negotiate for in a relocation package...

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compan...on_Packages_US

Answers pretty much most of your questions apart from the salary number.
Thanks for the pointer I'll check that out after I have gone through the posts on this thread! Cheers Bob!
Old May 18th 2011, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I realized when I read your post again that you are the guy, sorry. Your SO would be your "fiancee", then, with two e's (that's what I was going by, lol).

To my knowledge, your fiancee can't get any kind of dependent visa (on the heels of your visa) unless you marry and she is your wife, not your fiancee.

Rene
LOL that's my stupidity I should have realised the spelling.

Looks like we are going to have to do the paperwork to get married and have the ceremony at another time - but that would cause more problems than you could ever know!!!
Old May 18th 2011, 9:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by docholywood
LOL that's my stupidity I should have realised the spelling.

Looks like we are going to have to do the paperwork to get married and have the ceremony at another time - but that would cause more problems than you could ever know!!!
Well, double check with the company lawyers....from what YOU have said, they think it's possible, right?

Rene
Old May 18th 2011, 9:46 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Jeezaly crow, OP's been to the Wilmore school of quoting.
brb

Old May 18th 2011, 9:50 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

E2 was discussed due to my situation of having a fiance (on E2 dependant visa) who needs to work (not from the same company) and it can be arranged because of the investment status of the company. I really don't know the ins and outs as yet, but that is part of the reason I have come on here - to educate myself with practical advice!
If YOU are coming on an E-2 (employee) visa (is that right?), your dependent can also get an E-2. She would need to apply for a work permit (EAD) once she arrives. However, this would only be available for your spouse.

I read your opening post that your GF is getting her own E-2 (employee) visa and will work for the same company as you, just not on as good a relocation package.

Is any of that right? These things will make a big difference to you eventually.
Old May 18th 2011, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

If for sake of argument my take home pay after taxes is about $125k-135k and possibly $10k bonus is this a good take home pay for LA? Literally all I need to know if it is:
I would say that's a decent take-home pay, especially if your fiancee is going to be working as well. Where are you looking to live?
Old May 19th 2011, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

LOL at meauxna! Sorry, I messed it up and wasn't sure how to correct it. Thank you!

@ rene - yeah they said it was possible but didn't go into enough detail just kind said they would 'handle all the details with company lawyers" but I obviously need to understand what is happening so I don't get caught out.

@meauxna - I am the E2 (employee) visa - she was classified as my 'dependant' and would be on an E2 (Dependant) visa, but she has no connections with the company at all.

If an E2 dependant visa does not exist, I could have misinterpreted what was said, or my interviewer might have been mistaken. It seems it takes 90 days to sort out after my E2 visa is arranged if that is any help?

@ Sally - I am researching this at the moment but want to be within walking / leisurely cycling distance from 90210 where the office is located. I don't want a huge commute in the first year whilst I am getting to know the city and will make an informed decision about a preferred location further out. I hear Manhattan Beach is a good area, but have no clue about ease of commute or rental prices for 2 bed 2 bath with parking and preferably a balcony and near parkland.
Old May 19th 2011, 4:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

@meauxna - I am the E2 (employee) visa - she was classified as my 'dependant' and would be on an E2 (Dependant) visa, but she has no connections with the company at all.

If an E2 dependant visa does not exist, I could have misinterpreted what was said, or my interviewer might have been mistaken.
It DOES exist, but you have to be married to get it. Perhaps when you spoke to the interviewer, you said "partner" instead of "fiancee", and he thought you were married?

Rene
Old May 19th 2011, 5:13 pm

If an E2 dependant visa does not exist, I could have misinterpreted what was said, or my interviewer might have been mistaken. It seems it takes 90 days to sort out after my E2 visa is arranged if that is any help?
OK, she is not getting her own 'work visa'. She will be a dependent E-2 and she will be eligible to apply for an EAD/Employment Authorization Document. The EAD may be applied for after arrival, and takes about 90 days to get.
So, you have a combination of good/bad info in your original understanding.

The big issue is that common law spouses/partners etc are not eligible for the dependent visa. Married spouses are.

http://london.usembassy.gov/e.html
Please read the information in the right hand margin.

I'm going to get in trouble with myself. We really prefer that immigration discussions be in their own thread in the immigration forum.
Old May 19th 2011, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
OK, she is not getting her own 'work visa'. She will be a dependent E-2 and she will be eligible to apply for an EAD/Employment Authorization Document. The EAD may be applied for after arrival, and takes about 90 days to get.
So, you have a combination of good/bad info in your original understanding.

The big issue is that common law spouses/partners etc are not eligible for the dependent visa. Married spouses are.

http://london.usembassy.gov/e.html
Please read the information in the right hand margin.

I'm going to get in trouble with myself. We really prefer that immigration discussions be in their own thread in the immigration forum.
Haha, think you need to address the bipolar dissorder M but thank you so much for clearing up my thoughts on the visa situation. I will not discuss it again within this thread and will start another one if I need more advice further down the line. Just have to break it to the family that we may have to get married before her sister's who's is in a few months!! That is the other 'complication' I mentioned let the sisters fight it out methinks.

In terms of other issues about cost of living vs my income etc I would be happy to hear about others experiences and any other discussion regarding package generally.

Infact what about exchange rate fluctuations? What should I consider when it comes to this?

Last edited by docholywood; May 19th 2011 at 5:37 pm.
Old May 19th 2011, 5:34 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

and any other discussion regarding package generally.
Don't know whether you're planning to stay or just do a few years. Your sponsor holds you by the short and curlys until you get a green card. And it's generally your employer who decides whether to sponsor you or not for residence.

If you might want to stay, it's worth putting in the contract that they will sponsor you for a green card after so many years in the job.
Old May 19th 2011, 5:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, think you need to address the bipolar dissorder M but thank you so much for clearing up my thoughts on the visa situation. I will not discuss it again within this thread and will start another one if I need more advice further down the line. Just have to break it to the family that we may have to get married before her sister's who's is in a few months!! That is the other 'complication' I mentioned let the sisters fight it out methinks.

In terms of other issues about cost of living vs my income etc I would be happy to hear about others experiences and any other discussion regarding package generally.
That's where the suggestion of just doing the registry marriage now, to set you up for the visa situation and going a head with the big ceremony at a later date. The family doesn't even have to know the difference.
Old May 19th 2011, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Oh, eloping that sounds like a black and white movie, but probably what we will do if it comes to it!

We are intending on a long term (even permanent) move, giving ourselves at least 24 months before considering coming back with a back stop of 5 years before we decide that becoming a citizen is the way to go. Unless we are 100% certain either way before that time that it is a living hell or eutopia.
Old May 19th 2011, 6:23 pm

Oh, eloping that sounds like a black and white movie, but probably what we will do if it comes to it!
You;ll want to discuss it with your immigration lawyer, when things start to get that far along. Don't get married (if you're not ready) until you've had further confirmation of the immigration decisions of the employer.

You'll want to start looking for some tax preparation assistance as well. If you're going to have a huge vehicle allowance like that, and the other relocation costs, you'll want to make sure that's all handled to your best advantage. The first year US returns are a PITA, especially when you're unfamiliar with the system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.