Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

L1-b visa returning to the UK next month

L1-b visa returning to the UK next month

Old Aug 1st 2017, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

captainbligh has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbligh has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbligh has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbligh has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbligh has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbligh has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbligh has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbligh has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbligh has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbligh has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbligh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1-b visa returning to the UK next month

Originally Posted by Jack8602
Enjoy the UK

Cheers.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 10:41 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbligh View Post
Take for example a senior software engineer in the UK for an engineering or software company can slave away 13 hours a day coding/fixing systems etc for £50k per year which is barely enough to make good living even in the North
Tell people living in the North that, I'm sure they'd vehemently disagree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbigh
Brexit is probably 30% of it, the other 70% is the inevitability of the collapse of the UK IT industry
Ah yes Brexit, the go to for blaming for lack of jobs

I know that if i moved back to the UK i'd be able to pick up a contract for £500 a day fairly easily based on the discipline of IT i work in

Saying that the UK IT industry is screwed based upon your specific discipline of IT is stupid. If you're not getting responses from the 100 applications you've said you have sent, then there is something fundamentally wrong with how you're applying, wording your cover letters, resume etc.

It is limited - to majority development / coding etc. You wouldn't go into a end systems management role, that's what i mean by different IT disciplines.

I don't offer resume re-structuring services as part of my job...

Good work detective, but with all due respect - you're talking out of your ass on a subject (which i presume) you know nothing about - IT.

Job search for my specialty in IT in London + 100 mile radius has 573 Jobs listed, 101 of which are on a daily rate contract.

Hence my point earlier, classifying the whole of the IT industry under one bucket doesn't work, i said in my above post that I'd be able to easily pick up a contract based on the discipline of IT i work in

So the other 10% of IT encompasses cloud, infrastructure, networks and all the others

I won't reply anymore because this is a pointless debate based on you viewing software engineering as the whole of IT. Good luck in your search.

Realistic, not non-encouraging.

Enjoy the UK

Do you have nothing positive to say to help another forum member?
Ridicule, lack of knowledge and self-agrandissement. Nice.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 11:19 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainbligh
My questions are:
1) Will I have to apply for a "sailing permit/certificate of compliance?" https://www.irs.gov/publications/p519/ch11.html
Theoretically yes, I got one and it was the most pointless thing I ever did, sat in the federal building for hours to get some pointless piece of paperwork that no-one ever asked to see.

I wouldn't even attempt to bother. They don't enforce it.

2) Will I have to pay back all my US taxes to the IRS before I leave the USA? I do not have any stocks/shares, no business, nothing complicated, just straight up full time employment with one employer.
Theoretically yes, you're supposed to do this on 1040-C but as with the 2063, it's just not enforced and in any event they can come after you via the tax treaty so once again, don't bother.

3) Will HMRC UK know how to tax me properly when I return to the UK?
Explain it to them. In theory they can see your US tax records if you give them your SSN and HMRC was working hard on linking into the IRS system but I'd make sure you explain to them that you weren't tax resident during the past year - I hope you filed a P85 when you left.

4) Will I have to leave the USA on my last day of work?
They clarified this in the new regulations last year - you have 10 days. If your I-94 is valid they have no real way of knowing until the employer notifies them (if they remember to do it) but legally you have 10 days.

What you will need to do is file a dual-status tax return for 2017 which is mentioned in IRS publication 519. I.e. a pro-rated 1040 for the first part of the year and a 1040NR for the second part of the year, after you left.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Sooyp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_

They clarified this in the new regulations last year - you have 10 days. If your I-94 is valid they have no real way of knowing until the employer notifies them (if they remember to do it) but legally you have 10 days.

What you will need to do is file a dual-status tax return for 2017 which is mentioned in IRS publication 519. I.e. a pro-rated 1040 for the first part of the year and a 1040NR for the second part of the year, after you left.
I think OP can apply for a B1/B2 visa to tide him over until everthing is straightened out no? As long as he files before his end date.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 12:17 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sooyp
I think OP can apply for a B1/B2 visa to tide him over until everthing is straightened out no?
No - you can't apply for a visa from within the US.

Ian
Old Aug 4th 2017, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No - you can't apply for a visa from within the US.

Ian
It would be a change of status which I believe is allowed.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

With the skills shortage in software engineering / web development, both in the USA and UK, if you're not having companies biting your hands off for your bum on their seat then you're doing something wrong.

Good luck.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

It would be a change of status which I believe is allowed.
Yes, that's true... but that's not what you wrote.

Ian
Old Aug 4th 2017, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes, that's true... but that's not what you wrote.

Ian
Easy tiger.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 3:26 pm
Account Closed

Easy tiger.
No one here is a mind reader, and all we have to work with is what people write. Immigration is difficult enough for most people without others using incorrect terminology and muddying the waters. If you're going to offer a suggestion, at least try to be correct.

Ian
Old Aug 4th 2017, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

OP, review this article and see if you qualify for a non-immigration status change to a B2 visa category. Refer to the i-539 form to apply. I am not a visa attorney so if any doubt take my advise as a general piece of information and consult an experience attorney.

https://www.uscis.gov/visit-united-s...migrant-status
Old Aug 4th 2017, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
With the skills shortage in software engineering / web development, both in the USA and UK, if you're not having companies biting your hands off for your bum on their seat then you're doing something wrong.

Good luck.
OK, so I figure what I wrote was just opinion and didn't really help.

My tips:
  • Make sure your LinkedIn is up to date and sells you. Be sure to have a photo of yourself on there.
  • Search on LinkedIn for recruiters, Lead engineers / Vice Presidents, HR people and add random folk in your target city / area. Expand your circle so that it looks to other people that you live in that city and when other people see you they will see that you are related to their circle.
  • Upload your CV to job boards / aggregators. Usual CV tips of no more than 2 pages, use bullet points, sell yourself, check for typos, etc.
  • Reach out on your LinkedIn to the people who accepted you and see what's happening. Tech companies generally offer referral bonuses so you'll find people advertising for their employer.
  • Attend tech meetups - typically these are sponsored by an employer who wants to hire.

OP, I lived in South Yorkshire prior to moving to the states.

There are tech jobs. You may need to take a step back in seniority or pay to get your feet on the ground.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 10:03 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
OK, so I figure what I wrote was just opinion and didn't really help.

My tips:
  • Make sure your LinkedIn is up to date and sells you. Be sure to have a photo of yourself on there.
  • Search on LinkedIn for recruiters, Lead engineers / Vice Presidents, HR people and add random folk in your target city / area. Expand your circle so that it looks to other people that you live in that city and when other people see you they will see that you are related to their circle.
  • Upload your CV to job boards / aggregators. Usual CV tips of no more than 2 pages, use bullet points, sell yourself, check for typos, etc.
  • Reach out on your LinkedIn to the people who accepted you and see what's happening. Tech companies generally offer referral bonuses so you'll find people advertising for their employer.
  • Attend tech meetups - typically these are sponsored by an employer who wants to hire.

OP, I lived in South Yorkshire prior to moving to the states.

There are tech jobs. You may need to take a step back in seniority or pay to get your feet on the ground.

I wasn't allowed to give you more karma!