Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Krispy Kreme Donuts

Krispy Kreme Donuts

Old Aug 18th 2003, 7:41 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Also I have just started grocery shopping at Super Target (pronnouced Tar-chay) It has a Starbucks and in the Cake section they have help-your-self Krispy Kreme cut-up-in-quaters bin, so while the missus is shopping, I'm slurping on the old head ache juice whilst quaffing down free raspberry filled donuts....not a bad idea eh!
Old Aug 18th 2003, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Yosser you might have problems getting the sausage rolls in because they are totally paranoid about foot & mouth being imported.

Hmm the prawn cocktail Walker's crisps, my absolute favourites. They should be ok as I brought some in last time and showed customs and they had no problems with them.

Chocolate eclairs would definitely be out because of the cream, no dairy allowed me thinks.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Have to add that I am a bit partial to having the Starbucks in one hand while I push the trolley at the supermarket. Makes me feel so American.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 7:50 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Making Sausage Rolls

Originally posted by Yosser
Whilst we are on the M&S subject, my mum and brother are
coming over for the birthday in 3 weeks, I have just emailed my list, and on there was a packet of Marks and sparks mini sausage rolls with prawn cocktail crisps........lush!

I don't think the chocolate eclairs will make it and I just hope they can get by customs with the rest
I wouldn't advise anyone to carry over sausage rolls in their luggage. It's a meat product and so if discovered will be confiscated by Customs (who'll probably scoff them anyway).

Making sausage rolls in the US isn't that difficult, as I've discovered. Patrick is still alive after eating some I made recently

NC Penguin
Old Aug 18th 2003, 7:52 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Vicky88
Yosser you might have problems getting the sausage rolls in because they are totally paranoid about foot & mouth being imported.

Hmm the prawn cocktail Walker's crisps, my absolute favourites. They should be ok as I brought some in last time and showed customs and they had no problems with them.

Chocolate eclairs would definitely be out because of the cream, no dairy allowed me thinks.
I don't believe there's any regulations forbidding the import of dairy products. I had loads of Easter eggs on me on my trip from the UK around Eastertime. It was funny to see the egg shapes as I watched them pass through the X-ray machine.

Personally, as much as I love eclairs, I wouldn't attempt to bring them over by plane for fear of crushing them (even as hand luggage).

NC Penguin
Old Aug 18th 2003, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

I assumed there was a problem with the dairy because when the BA flight comes in laden with clotted cream for their afternoon tea, any lefts overs are taken and destroyed. They are not allowed to take it back with them and serve it on the return flight. I always do my civic duty and try and have 2 servings of jam, clotted cream and scones to save that happening.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 8:13 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
I don't believe there's any regulations forbidding the import of dairy products. I had loads of Easter eggs on me on my trip from the UK around Eastertime. It was funny to see the egg shapes as I watched them pass through the X-ray machine.

Personally, as much as I love eclairs, I wouldn't attempt to bring them over by plane for fear of crushing them (even as hand luggage).

NC Penguin
I know for sure the eclairs will not make it, because my mum will eat them before there is even a hint of them getting crushed.

I thought the sasuage rolls might be a problem, but I told mum to stash them in her carry on bag and resist any customs people from looking in her bag, I MUST HAVE THEM THERE SAUSAGE ROLLS. I can't wait, fresh PG tip tea bags, pickled onion monster munch (with sausage rolls if they make it ) and some smarties for afters....its amazing what you miss after a few years.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 8:18 pm
Never right in the head!

Originally posted by Vicky88
I assumed there was a problem with the dairy because when the BA flight comes in laden with clotted cream for their afternoon tea, any lefts overs are taken and destroyed. They are not allowed to take it back with them and serve it on the return flight. I always do my civic duty and try and have 2 servings of jam, clotted cream and scones to save that happening.
Please stop, my mouth is watering....

Sunday afternoon Tea and Scones with fresh strawberry jam and cream...I would do that every weekend with my grandad when I was a wee whipper snapper......ooh bloody eck I'm craving now.

PLEASE NO MORE!
Old Aug 19th 2003, 1:26 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

what is it with crisp flavorings, there is so much more diversity in the UK, here its just salted, lightly salted, barbecue, hickory dickory smoked, and I can't think of anything else.

For the land of plenty, there is very little choice. The same is true of supermarkets, I shop at our nearby Giant, (although I recently discovered the great Harris Teeter), and am constantly amazed by the lack of choice, the food isles are conventional and lined with unimaginative, bland produce. That is unless you are a steak fan, then you can get every cut under the sun!

I think we have a lot to thank our old empire and proximity to Europe for in terms of our access to diverse dishes, ingredients and recipes.

Exceptions are the upscale Wholefoods Market, which can be relied on for some good deli food and fruit and veg, but its not the cheapest joint in town.

I miss Sainsbury's so much, why don't they set up shop here, or even just ship internationally for those of us who can't do without there doughnuts and red label teabags!?
Old Aug 19th 2003, 4:44 pm
Never right in the head!

what is it with crisp flavorings, there is so much more diversity in the UK, here its just salted, lightly salted, barbecue, hickory dickory smoked, and I can't think of anything else.

Yep, have to agree there the crisp flavors suck

All they have is Lay's plain, Lay's crinkle cut, Lay's baked etc, I miss all the golden wonder flavours, monster munch, wot sits etc, and my all time fav's Ketchup and worstershire flavors.

By the way, my lunch today consists of Lay's bar-b-q flavor crisps, Oh what variety!