Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

knowing that health will be an issue - an honest answer please!

knowing that health will be an issue - an honest answer please!

Old Oct 30th 2009, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: knowing that health will be an issue - an honest answer please!

Originally Posted by toodle
I am the married daughter of a USC with a 3-year old, thinking of submitting the I-130 with my father as the sponsor. I know that there is a considerable wait for this visa
Are you sure you aren't a USC already? Depending on how your father came to be a USC, you may have inherited citizenship, in which case just need to prove it then apply for a passport directly.

Having said that....with your husband's condition, I'd stay in the UK.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 3:12 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
That is generally not possible and, even if it were possible, not a good idea.

If you have two insurance policies from different insurers that both cover you for the same thing (be it healthcare, auto insurance, home insurance or anything else) and you don't have a clear upfront agreement with the insurers about who is going to cover you for what you will have endless trouble getting either insurer to pay out on a claim since, once they find out about the other coverage, each one will want the other to pay everything ...

The only place where this kind of works is if you are eligible for Medicare but also have private insurance - that situation is well understood (but still only one of them will actually pay out).
That is not correct. If you have insurance from your company, and insurance from your husband's company both will pay. Your own insurance will be primary, and it MUST pay first. Husband's company would be secondary insurance, and would pick up and pay what the primary does not. You can also do this with dental insurance. Take out your own dental policy, and your spouses's. I've done both of these in the past. I had major surgery, and I didn't pay one cent out of pocket.

The one problem that could be encountered these days is that some companies won't insure the spouse if they are offered insurance from their own company. This is a relatively new cost-cutting feature, and would need to be checked on.

I am with most others though - I wouldn't come to the US with kidney transplant type problem. What if one of you lost your job? It would be very scary, unless the person was on disability, and had Medicare - which would not be offered in your situation.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
The one problem that could be encountered these days is that some companies won't insure the spouse if they are offered insurance from their own company. This is a relatively new cost-cutting feature, and would need to be checked on.
Was just going to mention this. My OH works for a health insurance auditing firm. He was just telling me last night, that in the state of Indiana, the teacher's health insurance policy will not cover a spouse that can get insurance through their job. I don't know how far reaching this is, but could become problematic in the future.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 6:42 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

I would move to France in that situation. They have 4 times the number of doctors per head of population than the UK has and the food and climate are better.

Life offers us a whole range of options

The first meeting with my doctor in the US was to say 'hello'

He didn't touch me or take blood pressure or anything - just introduced himself and said the UK heath system was 3rd world basically - then he left after 2 minutes

He billed the insurance $160 for that - I have heard of similar encounters being billed at $250

My mother had a succession of ops in the UK including a full hysterectomy at age 93 which was very successful and FREE. The US talks about 'death panels' in the UK but they have no idea how good it is and just invent stories to protect their profits

Yes France - south of Paris
Old Nov 1st 2009, 7:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of days ago I had an interesting conversation with a British doctor. He practised medicine in the US for many years until his wife got sick...they then returned to the UK for NHS treatment.

Says it all really.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 12:25 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exvj

The first meeting with my doctor in the US was to say 'hello'

He didn't touch me or take blood pressure or anything - just introduced himself and said the UK heath system was 3rd world basically - then he left after 2 minutes
I hope you told him he was an arrogant Twit. I've pretty much lost all patience with people in the US trying to tell me how awful the NHS is, people who have never set foot outside the country, some never left the state. I now tell them how wrong they are and if they dare argue I ask when the last time they used it was and how they enjoyed being in UK.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 1:01 am
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I hope you told him he was an arrogant Twit. I've pretty much lost all patience with people in the US trying to tell me how awful the NHS is, people who have never set foot outside the country, some never left the state. I now tell them how wrong they are and if they dare argue I ask when the last time they used it was and how they enjoyed being in UK.
Chuckle - I have a policy of never insulting the chef BEFORE the meal and it's the same with Doctors and their rubber gloves...
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 1:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Chuckle - I have a policy of never insulting the chef BEFORE the meal and it's the same with Doctors and their rubber gloves...
that's why you know practices your insurance covers so you can quickly scarper to the next one
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:42 am
Banned

The NHS isn't the same thing all over the UK and it ranges from dreadful in the inner cities to almost luxurious in well off country areas.

I had the experience of visiting the Leeds General Infirmary and Harrogate hospital in the same afternoon. It was like going from Somalia to Monaco.

Harrogate was every bit as nice as the hospitals I have visited here in the US and of course it's totally free. A lot of people in the UK dont realise they can just drive to a nice hospital out of their area.

I have my fall back plans in place in case I ever get caught out with insufficient cover in the US and I feel so sorry for Americans who don't have that safety net. If I were them I would lose sleep over it.

We feel that everything is rocking along fine as we have great health insurance via her work - if that ended and if that nice Irishman Mr O'bama's health plan didnt materialise, we would scoot off to Europe toot sweet.
For someone thinking about coming to the US with an already expensive condition, then I would say do it if you can find a way to be covered, but don't burn your boats. Even my share investments are made in USD but are in UK and European etc index funds subject to their currency so that we dont get caught out by exchange rates which would prevent us moving there if necessary

Moving out of the UK is a leap out of security and into self sufficiency and a cruel world which has always made money from immigrants and vulnerable people. It can be done successfully but a rapid adjustment is necessary so we can lay contingency plans and don't rely on anyone or anything to protect us if it gets nasty.

Avoiding getting caught out and losing our life savings and our house is a top priority so every immigrant who isn't poor needs to have those eventualities covered in their planning
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, because you always have the option of walking away to find another place to eat or get medical care. There are so many doctors in the US that you would be hard pressed not to find a good one who you get on with (that your insurance covers) so it's not worth putting up with a crap or arrogant one.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 2:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Nah, because you always have the option of walking away to find another place to eat or get medical care. There are so many doctors in the US that you would be hard pressed not to find a good one who you get on with (that your insurance covers) so it's not worth putting up with a crap or arrogant one.
A good point - though I live 140 miles away from civilization so I don't have an inexaustible suppy of quacks round here in this desert. Both the dentists and the doctors claim they are too poor to retire and make out like they are envious that I retired at 54. Crying the poor tale I reckon. I reckon the OP will have their question answered by Mr O's progress to remove pre - existing though he had better make sure he caps annual 'out of pocket' or otherwise the health predators will find a way to bump up co pays and lower annual/illness cover to keep up their income from farming people with health problems