Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Kindergarten Registration Experience.

Wikiposts

Kindergarten Registration Experience.

Old Aug 26th 2013, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindergarten Registration Experience.

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Oh dear.... Who (I'm almost afraid to ask) asked you that?
I'm not sure, someone at the school doing the admin. It may have been for the benefit of the people behind us in line, who were talking Spanish to each other (my neighbour is employed by the school to translate for parents who speak almost no English), and there are a surprising number of children who are five but talk like two-year-olds (a good half of my son's birthday party had really poor talking skills, but he might just have a lot of slow friends)
Old Aug 26th 2013, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
I'm not sure, someone at the school doing the admin. It may have been for the benefit of the people behind us in line, who were talking Spanish to each other (my neighbour is employed by the school to translate for parents who speak almost no English), and there are a surprising number of children who are five but talk like two-year-olds (a good half of my son's birthday party had really poor talking skills, but he might just have a lot of slow friends)
sigh...

Anyway, did you investigate the advanced learner (gifted child, quest, whatever they call it in your district) program?
Old Aug 26th 2013, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Moving in the middle of the school year shouldn't pose a problem as long as entry dates aren't different. For example here in Washington you have to be 5 by August 31st to enter kindergarten. In California, however, you can be 5 by December 1st.
The situation in California changed several years ago, and the kid now must be 5 by an earlier in the year - I think either the end of August or the end of September.

I've not paid attention too closely as our kid has a February birthday.

Details here: http://www.sandi.net/Page/53351
Old Aug 26th 2013, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, did you investigate the advanced learner (gifted child, quest, whatever they call it in your district) program?
Yes, my daughter isn't eligible to apply until midway through 2nd grade (which she is going into this year), and then it starts in 3rd grade. If she gets in then she'll be covered until 5th grade at this school - not sure what happens when she moves up to middle school, apparently the school system is a bit weird here when it comes to the transitions.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, my daughter isn't eligible to apply until midway through 2nd grade (which she is going into this year), and then it starts in 3rd grade. If she gets in then she'll be covered until 5th grade at this school - not sure what happens when she moves up to middle school, apparently the school system is a bit weird here when it comes to the transitions.
What was the assessment process for your daughter please?

Thanks.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
Wow, I didn't know that. My son's daycare will probably start them off on those things before he goes to K. But do they expect that children who don't go to daycare will be taught those things at home, generally?
Even if you don't do day care or preschool check out the Parents day out programs. Also it's very easy to teach your child these basics at home and its also fun! My youngest is three in late Oct but we 'be been working on writing her name for a year, ok it doesn't look like her name yet but she's getting there.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter didn't want to do the program through elementary, but tested and was accepted for the junior high level, which she starts the beginning of September. I have fingers crossed for this program, I've heard good things. It's a shame that it's very far away from us (other end of the city) so transportation won't be fun.

Good luck with your daughter, I hope it will be a good fit for her.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
The situation in California changed several years ago, and the kid now must be 5 by an earlier in the year - I think either the end of August or the end of September.

I've not paid attention too closely as our kid has a February birthday.

Details here: http://www.sandi.net/Page/53351
I'm glad it's changed.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
What was the assessment process for your daughter please?
She hasn't done it yet. I believe it starts around February and I'm not sure what it entails. I can't seem to find the details on their website right now.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 11:14 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

In Ohio they do state testing in reading and Maths in the 3rd grade and those determine the gifted qualified. My son was scored as gifted in math at the end of 3rd grade, so now he is starting 4th grade he should get special math lessons.

They did the same testing in the 2nd grade too so maybe the kids that score high then get gifted qualified earlier?
Old Aug 30th 2013, 7:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
Wow, I didn't know that. My son's daycare will probably start them off on those things before he goes to K. But do they expect that children who don't go to daycare will be taught those things at home, generally?
Here, kids are expected to write their name, know and write the alphabet, read their name, count to 20, know colours, shapes, jump on one leg. Would get tracked if they couldn't do most of it.

Anyway, kid had orientation and meet the teacher. Schedule hadn't been made yet which is annoying as dirty clothes are expected for at class and change of clothes and trainers for the one week PE. Also peanut policy is set by the class as snack is eaten in class as it's so far from the canteen and they only get 10 mins.

Also found the the school bus picks up 3 minutes after school starts and it's a different spot to do off. Walking or driving the kid to school is equally complicated with designated walking exits, drop off and pick up spots and procedures for if you're late, you're going to be really late.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 7:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The school also had a full time shrink as well as a "transitional councillor" to help kids transition from pre to K to grade.

I'm thinking that's a position that could be dropped so we don't have to buy so many school supplies...
Old Aug 30th 2013, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Here, kids are expected to write their name, know and write the alphabet, read their name, count to 20, know colours, shapes, jump on one leg. Would get tracked if they couldn't do most of it.

Anyway, kid had orientation and meet the teacher. Schedule hadn't been made yet which is annoying as dirty clothes are expected for at class and change of clothes and trainers for the one week PE. Also peanut policy is set by the class as snack is eaten in class as it's so far from the canteen and they only get 10 mins.

Also found the the school bus picks up 3 minutes after school starts and it's a different spot to do off. Walking or driving the kid to school is equally complicated with designated walking exits, drop off and pick up spots and

procedures for if you're late, you're going to be really late.
Blimey sounds like a military operation! Is this a public school or private?
Old Aug 30th 2013, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob

Also found the the school bus picks up 3 minutes after school starts and it's a different spot to do off. Walking or driving the kid to school is equally complicated with designated walking exits, drop off and pick up spots and procedures for if you're late, you're going to be really late.
They really need to start making kindergarten a mandatory full day and treat it with the same importance that they treat the other grades!
Old Aug 30th 2013, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
The school also had a full time shrink as well as a "transitional councillor" to help kids transition from pre to K to grade.

I'm thinking that's a position that could be dropped so we don't have to buy so many school supplies...
Wait till you get the letter that says that the school supplies you bring in are only for the first half of school!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.