Reload this Page >

Kids UK birth cert

Kids UK birth cert

Old Sep 5th 2012, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Okuda will become famous soon enoughOkuda will become famous soon enough
Default Kids UK birth cert

Hi,

Quick question, I've got 2 kids, I'm English, here on a 10 year green card, hubby is American, kids are 3 and 1 and born in the US, so British by decent.
I know I can register their births and get their birth certs via the US embassy in DC, but we are off home for a trip in October and I'm wondering if I can register and get their English birth certs back home whilst we are there if I take all the documentation with me? Just seems a bit simpler. Or does it have to be done thru the embassy as they were born here?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids UK birth cert

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...tering-a-birth

"If your child is born outside the UK and is British, you can register the birth with the nearest consulate or with our consular department in London if you’ve returned to the UK."
Old Sep 5th 2012, 2:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Register the birth in the US, no problem. Can get the certificate in the UK, no problem, but not till the following September.

Can get their UK passport while in the UK though, which is certainly cheaper than in the US. They need a US passport to travel anyway.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Register the birth in the US, no problem. Can get the certificate in the UK, no problem, but not till the following September.

Can get their UK passport while in the UK though, which is certainly cheaper than in the US. They need a US passport to travel anyway.
Actually not until the September of the year following registration. So if you register in Jan 2012, you won't be able to get a cert in the UK until Sept 2013.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob

Oh that's interesting to know regarding their UK passport. (yea we have their American passports to be able to take our holiday back home) .. so just go to the post office like I would to get my English passport and apply that way? Taking the correct documentation of course, my birth cert, hubbys, marriage cert and so on? It's that simple? .. it can't be??? And then I assume I can apply for the consular birth cert at a later date as I've been reading and really it seems registering at the embassy in London really isn't any simpler or easier than doing it via the embassy in DC.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 12:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There isn't a UK embassy in London, but apart from that, yes.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

Sorry, I was being harassed by a 2 year old at the time of typing, I meant the consular in London and the embassy in DC, but yea, thank you for the information, very helpful and hopefully I can save a few pennies by getting the passports this way.