Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

kids and driving

kids and driving

Old Nov 2nd 2004, 11:56 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute
Default kids and driving

ok this has probably been brought up before, but i am now at the stage of one of my children reaching 15 in the next few months and he wants to get his permit. although they need a driver next to them when they drive, also they are only allowed on the roads at certain times. i am still of the opinion that at 15 they are to young to be behind the wheel of a car. what are other peoples thoughts on this.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kids and driving

Depends on the beginner driver and the state of the roads and other drivers. Luckily in our state the kids don't get a learners permit until they are 16. I didn't let our son get his permit until he was 17. I didn't think he was quite ready for the responsibility. He is quite a careful driver now. I expect you will need to lay down some laws of your own as to when your son gets his permit.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 11:28 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
ok this has probably been brought up before, but i am now at the stage of one of my children reaching 15 in the next few months and he wants to get his permit. although they need a driver next to them when they drive, also they are only allowed on the roads at certain times. i am still of the opinion that at 15 they are to young to be behind the wheel of a car. what are other peoples thoughts on this.
Personally I think that 17 is plenty young enough, and I know that in Virginia they are trying to increase the age at which you can first drive from 16 (or is it 16 & 3mths?) to 17.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 12:50 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
Depends on the beginner driver and the state of the roads and other drivers. Luckily in our state the kids don't get a learners permit until they are 16. I didn't let our son get his permit until he was 17. I didn't think he was quite ready for the responsibility. He is quite a careful driver now. I expect you will need to lay down some laws of your own as to when your son gets his permit.
in this state they can get a restricted permit at 14, although the roads are not busy, there seems to be a high number of accidents on the roads here. i don't think my son will be getting his permit at 15.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 1:31 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

in this state they can get a restricted permit at 14, although the roads are not busy, there seems to be a high number of accidents on the roads here. i don't think my son will be getting his permit at 15.
Certainly what works for a rural state such as Wyoming (where many/most 14 year olds have been driving trucks and farm equiptment on a working family farm/ranch) for a few years is vastly different than what is good for other more urban states.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 3:03 pm
staying around

Originally Posted by ironporer
Certainly what works for a rural state such as Wyoming (where many/most 14 year olds have been driving trucks and farm equiptment on a working family farm/ranch) for a few years is vastly different than what is good for other more urban states.
driving on a ranch though is a vastly different to driving on the highway.
out on the roads is no different rural or urban.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 3:09 pm
warksgirl

I think 15 is too young, even if it is under the supervision of an adult.

But then, you can't drink until the age of 21, yet vote and get drafted to war at 18? Where's the logic in that?

Back to driving, it varies in each state. I think (but I'm not sure - my kids aren't that old yet) that minors need a certain amount of logged hours behind the wheel before they can take their test. This makes sense, and perhaps if there were a sufficient amount of logged hours combined with a more difficult test, young drivers would set out being more responsible.

Nevertheless, I still think 15 is young.

Old Nov 3rd 2004, 3:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a little scary, someone so young behind the wheel at 15, not to mention what the insurance must be like.
And what's the need to be driving so young anyway? cost of petrol should be enough to put them off the responsibility...
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 4:03 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

If the learners permit is only used for its intended purpose -- in teaching the person to a good, conscientious driver -- then I think 15 years old is fine. But ONLY if specific parameters are in place.

For instance, your son can only drive with YOU in the car with him -- and has to drive where YOU tell him to. That will enable you to help ensure that he becomes familiar and comfortable driving in a variety of road situations and weather conditions.

The permit should NOT be used so he can drive his friends to McDonald's after school (even if you're in the car with him at the time). It should be used for driving instruction only, period.

I definitely recommend reading this letter from the Dr Gridlock column in the Washington Post -- you could've written the letter yourself, so see what Dr Gridlock has to say!

~ Jenney
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 4:22 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: kids and driving

Originally Posted by warksgirl
I think 15 is too young, even if it is under the supervision of an adult.

But then, you can't drink until the age of 21, yet vote and get drafted to war at 18? Where's the logic in that?

Back to driving, it varies in each state. I think (but I'm not sure - my kids aren't that old yet) that minors need a certain amount of logged hours behind the wheel before they can take their test. This makes sense, and perhaps if there were a sufficient amount of logged hours combined with a more difficult test, young drivers would set out being more responsible.

Nevertheless, I still think 15 is young.

My son was 16 a few days ago and he passed the NJ Driver's Education test yesterday (at his High school). He is absolutely ready to learn to drive - he certainly seems to have a very mature attitude.....his 20 year old sister is a different kettle of fish, I dread the thought of her deciding to learn to drive!

On a private road in England this past Summer I allowed him to change the gears for me whilst I was driving - he picked it up immediately. It's a pity that they're not taught to drive a 'stick shift' over here, you have to arrange this seperately. I think it really comes down to maturity. I bought my first car (an old banger) a few weeks after turning 17 and begged for anyone with a driving licence to accomany me so I could practise driving in it....fortunately I did pass first time!

Nevertheless, his dad and a driving instructor will be going to the DMV to get his driving permit on Friday. It's been a palaver since Sept 11th with all the strict ID checks....had to go to a Social Security office with him to get a letter to say that he's ineligible for a Social Security number and his dad has to take his passport to show the DMV his L1 visa, our son's L2 visa and their I-94 departure cards.

In New Jersey students can have a permit at age 16 and can take the test at 17 but there are still some restrictions on driving hours (eg. not between midnight and 6am unless for religious reasons etc.) They just need to prove that they have had *6* hours of lessons with a State-registered instructor before they can take their test....it will cost $330 for six lessons for my son. It also seems popular for tests to be booked on the student's 17th birthday. (When you think about it though, there is no minimum requirement for a minimum no. of hours of driving practice in the UK, but of course the test is far more difficult and the failure rate much higher).
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

markwplatt is an unknown quantity at this point

dont you think that this depends on the kid. My first got his licence on his 16th birthday and has been driving for 3 years now. It is a remarkable help when the kid can get to school on his own and help with errands etc. he worked for his gas money but we still pay the insurance (3000$). The maturity level of the child is what should help the parents decide.
Our next in line may be waiting longer...
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 5:50 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

I think 15 is way too young. My daughter is 15 now and keeps after me to get her permit. We are moving back to England next year so I keep trying to put her off. Even if they are mature at that age, other drivers on the road are not so and you need lots of practice and maturity to react to circumstances that happen due to other obnoxious drivers.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Here in MI a kid can get the learners permit at 14 and a half personally I think it is way too young regardless of how responsable the kid is.

My husbands neice past her test and got her license this year (she is 16) and has already totalled 2 mini vans.

Ash
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

PBC_1966 will become famous soon enoughPBC_1966 will become famous soon enough

I think it depends very much upon the individual. There are some 15-year-olds who are very much more sensible than some 21-year-olds.

Compare today's driving ages with those in effect a good many years ago and see how they've changed (or not changed):

http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/slaw1949.html

Last edited by PBC_1966; Nov 3rd 2004 at 6:53 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 6:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
My husbands neice past her test and got her license this year (she is 16) and has already totalled 2 mini vans.
Wouldn't want to be paying her premiums...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.