Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Kids Dentistry

Kids Dentistry

Old Aug 25th 2010, 2:13 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kids Dentistry

I had to take my daughter to the orphodentist last night on a recommendation from her normal dentist.

No surprises but she has the same problems as me, where her lower jaw isn't far enough forward. This really paniced me as I have been in my adult life to try and sort mine out and the only solution was surgery to break my jaw and move it forward.

Anyhow, turns out as she is young they can force her jaw to grow forwards by cementing a hinge like thing to the top and bottom of her teeth to pull her jaw forwards, she would also have braces on her front teeth to pull these back at the same time.

Treatment would last around 14 months with the hinges adjusted every 6 weeks. She would probably need some kind of brace again when all her adult teeth have come through.

Yikes, poor kid. He showed us some photos of another little girl he had been treating, the results were amazing.

Just wondered if anyone else had come across the hinge thing?
Old Aug 25th 2010, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids Dentistry

Oh poor thing. My DD hasn't had the hinge thing, but her orthodontist has done wonders with her jaw. Her lower jaw was REALLY jutting out (like Michelle Obama, but worse) and using bands on her braces he's brought it back to where it should be. The talk of jaw surgery made DD really vigilant with her band wearing.
Wishing your daughter all the best
Old Aug 25th 2010, 2:56 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I had to take my daughter to the orphodentist last night on a recommendation from her normal dentist.

No surprises but she has the same problems as me, where her lower jaw isn't far enough forward. This really paniced me as I have been in my adult life to try and sort mine out and the only solution was surgery to break my jaw and move it forward.

Anyhow, turns out as she is young they can force her jaw to grow forwards by cementing a hinge like thing to the top and bottom of her teeth to pull her jaw forwards, she would also have braces on her front teeth to pull these back at the same time.

Treatment would last around 14 months with the hinges adjusted every 6 weeks. She would probably need some kind of brace again when all her adult teeth have come through.

Yikes, poor kid. He showed us some photos of another little girl he had been treating, the results were amazing.

sorry not tried the hinge thing.. but I would recommend trying it so she does not need surgery later in life my daughter has just gone through the surgery.. it has took her three years from start to finish so surgery is not a quick fix. think she wishes she had worn the brace when she was younger although what you discribe sounds a lot more likely to work than what she had...
Old Aug 25th 2010, 3:07 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Oh poor thing. My DD hasn't had the hinge thing, but her orthodontist has done wonders with her jaw. Her lower jaw was REALLY jutting out (like Michelle Obama, but worse) and using bands on her braces he's brought it back to where it should be. The talk of jaw surgery made DD really vigilant with her band wearing.
Wishing your daughter all the best
Wow thats good, glad to hear that her treatment has worked. Thanks for the good wishes

Originally Posted by candy wy.
sorry not tried the hinge thing.. but I would recommend trying it so she does not need surgery later in life my daughter has just gone through the surgery.. it has took her three years from start to finish so surgery is not a quick fix. think she wishes she had worn the brace when she was younger although what you discribe sounds a lot more likely to work than what she had...
Yes, we will definately be doing the hinge thing. Sorry about your daughter, the surgery thing sounds awful and obviously something we will avoid if at all possible. Poor thing, it sounds like the surgery route has taken longer than the hinge's will
Old Aug 25th 2010, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know abut the hinge thing but they can get great results nowadays.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 5:47 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Try and PM moneypenny20 - her daughter underwent the broken jaw thing a month or two ago and her other daughter will need the same. She may be aware of the other options and their pros and cons.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 6:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't bothered myself, I've a over bite and in the UK was offered a fix, was told it would be a couple grand on the NHS and would take about 3 years, or done privately in a little over a year but about £10K.
It wasn't needed though, but I was told that I might need veneers in the future because of uneven ware on a couple of the teeth, but not bothered me so far so it would only have been cosmetic.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:47 am
Just Joined

dwayne3427 is an unknown quantity at this point

Last month i took my younger brother which is 8 year old to a dentist located at torrance and trust me its really a good dentist, you should take him into the consideration.

<snip>

Last edited by Bob; Sep 30th 2010 at 1:36 pm. Reason: bit spammy for a first post.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

SoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by N1cky

Yes, my younger son will be getting the hinge thing in the next couple of months. Our ortho told us that they used to break the jaw and reset it, before this hinge thing was available. We also saw photos and the results look great!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by SoccerMomby2
Yes, my younger son will be getting the hinge thing in the next couple of months. Our ortho told us that they used to break the jaw and reset it, before this hinge thing was available. We also saw photos and the results look great!
Good luck for your son, keep me posted as to how he gets on.

We are definately going to get this done, just put it back a few weeks due to the move. No point in starting with one dentist to move to a new one. We'll start it all in the new year.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 9:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not heard of the hinge thing. The issue with my eldest was the upper jaw being regressive. Two years of braces to straighten the teeth - they kind of angled in to try and meet - failing. Finally had the upper jaw sawn back in July and moved forward and held in place with titanium plates and screws. The difference is amazing and she was back at school a fortnight later albeit with some swelling.

The younger daughters jaws are far worse, but again it's a massive underbite together with the lower jaw growing down rather than out so she's just started treatment and is likely to have the braces fitted in a few months - they won't start the major work until they know she's stopped growing. She is going to need the upper jaw cut and moved forward and the lower jaw cut, some removed and then realigned.

She actually looks 'normal' it's only when she does a big open smile (which she never does) you can see the teeth only meet at the back and the front teeth are no where close to each other.

Since she's seen her sister's bite post op, she's actually eager to have the work done regardless of the pain and discomfort she saw her sister go through.

As has been said, the treatment these days is amazing. I had no idea their jaws were 'wrong' and when first told about First Born's surgery was convinced she'd be off school/work for months. To see her eating, drinking and living normally after a few weeks was amazing and she looks stunning.

If you're a bit dubious then definitely get a second opinion to make sure the diagosis is correct. The only thing that really convinced us that treatment was necessary was the fact that the surgeon told us it had to go on our equivalent of the NHS, it was necessary surgery not cosmetic. The fact that he wasn't going to make any money (other than basic) out of the procedure and that I got a pile of opinions as to his abilities and results told us it needed doing.

My initial worries were that Australia (getting like the US) seems to put a lot of importance to the 'look' of the teeth regardless of whether it was necessary or not. If I were in the States, with the problem of medical insurance etc I would definitely get another opinion before going ahead.

Must read up on the hinge thing, that sounds really interesting even though it doesn't sound relevant to my youngest's problems.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Not heard of the hinge thing. The issue with my eldest was the upper jaw being regressive. Two years of braces to straighten the teeth - they kind of angled in to try and meet - failing. Finally had the upper jaw sawn back in July and moved forward and held in place with titanium plates and screws. The difference is amazing and she was back at school a fortnight later albeit with some swelling.

The younger daughters jaws are far worse, but again it's a massive underbite together with the lower jaw growing down rather than out so she's just started treatment and is likely to have the braces fitted in a few months - they won't start the major work until they know she's stopped growing. She is going to need the upper jaw cut and moved forward and the lower jaw cut, some removed and then realigned.

She actually looks 'normal' it's only when she does a big open smile (which she never does) you can see the teeth only meet at the back and the front teeth are no where close to each other.

Since she's seen her sister's bite post op, she's actually eager to have the work done regardless of the pain and discomfort she saw her sister go through.

As has been said, the treatment these days is amazing. I had no idea their jaws were 'wrong' and when first told about First Born's surgery was convinced she'd be off school/work for months. To see her eating, drinking and living normally after a few weeks was amazing and she looks stunning.

If you're a bit dubious then definitely get a second opinion to make sure the diagosis is correct. The only thing that really convinced us that treatment was necessary was the fact that the surgeon told us it had to go on our equivalent of the NHS, it was necessary surgery not cosmetic. The fact that he wasn't going to make any money (other than basic) out of the procedure and that I got a pile of opinions as to his abilities and results told us it needed doing.

My initial worries were that Australia (getting like the US) seems to put a lot of importance to the 'look' of the teeth regardless of whether it was necessary or not. If I were in the States, with the problem of medical insurance etc I would definitely get another opinion before going ahead.

Must read up on the hinge thing, that sounds really interesting even though it doesn't sound relevant to my youngest's problems.
Your poor daughters, thats a lot to go through. Glad it has worked for your eldest and your youngest is keen for it to be done.

My daughter has exactly the same problem as me. I was teased all through school because of it and although I know longer care what other people think, I really wish I had been able to have this sorted out when I was a kid.