Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Kids Carrying Greencards at All Times?

Kids Carrying Greencards at All Times?

Old Jan 20th 2006, 9:34 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids Carrying Greencards at All Times?

Originally Posted by franc111s
Come on, you don't have to carry your green card with you..
Hell! We actually agree on something!
Old Jan 20th 2006, 9:39 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
Just because nobody ever gets fined (how do you know for certain?) and all that doesn't mean it's bullchit. The INA says everyone 18 yrs and over has to carry it at all times. Whether that can be done practically, whether you or anyone chooses to do so or not, and/or whether you'll ever get asked for it has nothing to do with that.

Elaine
Elaine (I like that name, it's my sisters name and hardly heard in the USA), I don't disagree BUT come on, the risk of losing it is 100 x that of ever being asked for it. Let alone, EVEN if you are asked for it (UNLIKELY you must admit), is the person asking really going to fine you? No way. You won't get into trouble, that's a fact - it's not a LAW. Did you know, if you lost your green card whilst overseas (or your US passport), you will still get back in without either.

That's all I'm saying...
Old Jan 20th 2006, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I believe it is illegal for anyone to even ask you for it, unless they are a USCIS officer or whatever the heck it's called. So I don't disagree with you either, however I do think it's not right to say 'come on, you don't have to carry it' when the INA clearly states you have to....

Elaine (not your sis - the other one )
Old Jan 20th 2006, 10:23 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I believe it is illegal for anyone to even ask you for it, unless they are a USCIS officer or whatever the heck it's called. So I don't disagree with you either, however I do think it's not right to say 'come on, you don't have to carry it' when the INA clearly states you have to....

Elaine (not your sis - the other one )
I don't think local or state cops care, as long as your driving license is in order. On a day to day basis, it's probably worse losing your license than your green card, although losing the GC is going to send you into USCIS freefall again...
Old Jan 20th 2006, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I don't think local or state cops care, as long as your driving license is in order. On a day to day basis, it's probably worse losing your license than your green card, although losing the GC is going to send you into USCIS freefall again...
That's why I keep copies of them... as well as copies of credit cards etc.... which my husband was jealous of when he lost his wallet a while back. Good thing he's a USC. He keeps copies of his stuff now, too. Not that it will prevent him from losing the originals again (watch me lose my wallet soon because karma will probably strike me now for making fun of him ).

Elaine
Old Jan 20th 2006, 10:44 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Elaine (I like that name, it's my sisters name and hardly heard in the USA), I don't disagree BUT come on, the risk of losing it is 100 x that of ever being asked for it. Let alone, EVEN if you are asked for it (UNLIKELY you must admit), is the person asking really going to fine you? No way. You won't get into trouble, that's a fact - it's not a LAW. Did you know, if you lost your green card whilst overseas (or your US passport), you will still get back in without either.

That's all I'm saying...
Actually it's a misdemeanor, punishable by $100 fine or 30 days imprisonment.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 10:46 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, you only have to carry your PR card on you all the time when you're over 18.

To convince you, here's a quote on this that I found, from someone who should know:

d) Certificate of alien registration or alien receipt card
Every alien in the United States who has been registered and fingerprinted under the provisions of the Alien Registration Act, 1940, or under the provisions of this chapter shall be issued a certificate of alien registration or an alien registration receipt card in such form and manner and at such time as shall be prescribed under regulations issued by the Attorney General.

(e) Personal possession of registration or receipt card; penalties
Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d) of this section. Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

Title 8, Chapter 12, Subchapter II, Part VII, Sec. 1304 (INA).

So that would be the law.

Elaine
Thanks Elaine. Karma sent. Just had to read through two pages of drivel and conjecture after your post. As usual.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 10:46 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
My greencard arrived on Tuesday along with my son's. Now, I know I have to carry mine at all times but what about him? He's a minor.

I'm assuming he's not expected to carry it.

But am I expected to carry it for him?
Or can we just leave his at home?
I'm sorry must need eyes tested, but I read it as "Kids carrying grenades at all times". Thought maybe the locals were taking the bearing arms thing a bit too far!
Old Jan 20th 2006, 10:48 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Elaine. Karma sent. Just had to read through two pages of drivel and conjecture after your post. As usual.
Ok Ms. police report for AOS
Old Jan 20th 2006, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I truthfully don't know a single person beyond newbies to it who carry it around, and they do it because they're just not aware of what a hassle it is to get a new one if it is lost or stolen (as happened to a friend of mine whose purse got lifted at a restaurant a few years ago).

The 10 year renewal alone takes forever for some people, never mind getting a replacement card. I guess the INS has higher priorities than issuing new cards.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 12:04 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by izibear
I truthfully don't know a single person beyond newbies to it who carry it around, and they do it because they're just not aware of what a hassle it is to get a new one if it is lost or stolen (as happened to a friend of mine whose purse got lifted at a restaurant a few years ago).

The 10 year renewal alone takes forever for some people, never mind getting a replacement card. I guess the INS has higher priorities than issuing new cards.
I do, and he's carried it for 5 years.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute

I carried mine for eight years, because I was told I had to...and then I lost it, actually I threw it away without realizing... After all the hassle of getting a new one, and going home and back here without one, the imigration officer at the airport where I returned, told me in no uncertain terms to NEVER carry it unless leaving the country...so now I don't.

I'm sure that if it is a law and you did get asked for it, there must be a time frame to come up with it if you're not carrying it on your person, sort of like your driving license or insurance?
Old Jan 21st 2006, 1:07 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by BrandonBrit
I carried mine for eight years, because I was told I had to...and then I lost it, actually I threw it away without realizing... After all the hassle of getting a new one, and going home and back here without one, the imigration officer at the airport where I returned, told me in no uncertain terms to NEVER carry it unless leaving the country...so now I don't.

I'm sure that if it is a law and you did get asked for it, there must be a time frame to come up with it if you're not carrying it on your person, sort of like your driving license or insurance?
So, you carried it without problems for 8 years. Then you had a lobotomy? Daft enough to throw it away, even dafter to travel without it, then to compound the error you decide to flout the law and never carry it again?

Doh!
Old Jan 21st 2006, 2:28 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

So, you carried it without problems for 8 years. Then you had a lobotomy? Daft enough to throw it away, even dafter to travel without it, then to compound the error you decide to flout the law and never carry it again?

Doh!
PMSLMFAO! That and 'twunts' are worth some serious karma, but I'm skint.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 3:30 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

<<snip>>

What cop is going to ask you for anything about your citizenship, even if you get stopped. <<snip>>
Is this question a joke or did you mean to say, "is a cop going to ask about your legal status (in the US)?"

I can understand Permanent Residents being asked to carry or show proof of legal residence in the US but citizenship (whatever that has to do with being able to live/work in the US)...

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.