Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Kids Accents

Kids Accents

Old Aug 12th 2013, 11:58 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids Accents

Originally Posted by SarahG
I have 2 kids. Son is almost 10 and daughter is 8 1/2. (The half is important apparently.)

We have been here for almost 4 years. 2 1/2 years in Indiana and almost 1 1/2 years in South Carolina.

Son speaks with a predominantly English accent sprinkled with the odd word with an American 'twang'.

Daughter speaks with a predominantly American accent sprinkled with the odd word with a English vibe.

I've been mommy rather than mummy to both of them for over a year now.
Confuses the hell out of people. Especially when they hear me with my weird Scottish/English/American accent thing that I have going on. I love to watch people's expressions change when they hear the 3 of us talking together.

As we have lived in the Midwest and now the south, I can't begin to imagine what my daughters accent will sound like if we move to the west coast at any point in the future.
You developed an American accent in four years?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Michigan for a while when I was 18 and when I arrived I had a very strong Scottish accent. No one understood a word I said so I adapted my accent a bit and it became a bit more Americanized. I was then understood more. The bits I picked up have stuck with me and come out every so often depending on who I'm speaking to.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Location: Syracuse,New York via London,Ontario, originally Glasgow, Scotland
Mouser66 is just really niceMouser66 is just really niceMouser66 is just really niceMouser66 is just really niceMouser66 is just really niceMouser66 is just really niceMouser66 is just really niceMouser66 is just really nice
Smile Re: Kids Accents

my daughter was born and brought up in London,Ontario til she was 13 before moving south of the border to Syracuse NY, she still sounds very canadian but having glaswegian's for parents she understands "parliamo glasgow' very well and has always had a distinctly Scottish sense of humour. She can also imitate a Scottish accent very well whereas despite the fact that I lived in London over 20 yrs my 'canuck' accent impersonation sounds like a very lame Ms Ellie from Southfork ....so needless to say it is never used.

Interestingly whenever I go home to Glasvegas for a wee holiday all my pals say my accent is very 'Canadianised' and they just rib me endlessly when i say we need to "go to the gas station' for the car....oh well....cant win can I
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:07 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
I have 2 kids. Son is almost 10 and daughter is 8 1/2. (The half is important apparently.)

We have been here for almost 4 years. 2 1/2 years in Indiana and almost 1 1/2 years in South Carolina.

Son speaks with a predominantly English accent sprinkled with the odd word with an American 'twang'.

Daughter speaks with a predominantly American accent sprinkled with the odd word with a English vibe.

I've been mommy rather than mummy to both of them for over a year now.
Confuses the hell out of people. Especially when they hear me with my weird Scottish/English/American accent thing that I have going on. I love to watch people's expressions change when they hear the 3 of us talking together.

As we have lived in the Midwest and now the south, I can't begin to imagine what my daughters accent will sound like if we move to the west coast at any point in the future.
We moved here when my son was 4. He lost his accent a year later, after being at school for only 3 months

A few years later when he got older it used to confuse his friends no end if they called at the house asking for him and then heard my English accent.

Now, at the grand old age of 20, after being at university for 2 years in the UK, he has started to call me Mum rather than Mom ... I have to say that's music to my ears .. it never felt right being called Mommy
Old Aug 13th 2013, 11:11 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
You developed an American accent in four years?
My sister's like that. She's a total sponge when it comes to accents, put her in any place for longer than 2 weeks and she'll soak up the accent.

My British friends think I sound a bit more American but all the American's think I sound like a Brit. I think I sound the same but use some American dialect.

Wife wants our son to have a British accent and to sound like his Dad (he's nearly 2) but I can't see that happening especially since she's a Houstonian born and raised!
Old Aug 13th 2013, 1:13 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
My sister's like that. She's a total sponge when it comes to accents, put her in any place for longer than 2 weeks and she'll soak up the accent.

My British friends think I sound a bit more American but all the American's think I sound like a Brit. I think I sound the same but use some American dialect.

Wife wants our son to have a British accent and to sound like his Dad (he's nearly 2) but I can't see that happening especially since she's a Houstonian born and raised!
Easy, he's two now? Put his name down for Eton or Winchester.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 6:32 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

People often say they love my wife's English accent, and ask where she is from. She is from Cincinnati, I'm the only Brit she knows
Old Aug 14th 2013, 2:29 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Both of my children are septics so they speak accordingly.
I think my daughter might pick up a few bits and pieces from me in her accent though because she is much more rhotic than her brother.
We live in one of the more accent neutral areas in the state, it's just the bog-standard generic American accent with no real regional clues but my daughter definitely sounds like more of a cheesehead/UP-er with all the rounded 'R' sounds that she has.
My kids speak as Americans do in this region. I don't let them call me Sir, though as I don't like it between Father and Son. Its too formal.
They say the odd English word and have recently started to take the piss out of the way I still say stuff; like "kebab, yoghurt, kettle, bottle" in fact, anything with a glottal-stop or dropped h gets a jab.

When they get too blousy, I tell them "Just because you are part American, its no excuse to behave like a heathen; try to remember you have a civilised half."
Old Aug 14th 2013, 2:32 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
My kids speak as Americans do in this region. I don't let them call me Sir, though as I don't like it between Father and Son. Its too formal.
They say the odd English word and have recently started to take the piss out of the way I still say stuff; like "kebab, yoghurt, kettle, bottle" in fact, anything with a glottal-stop or dropped h gets a jab.

When they get too blousy, I tell them "Just because you are part American, its no excuse to behave like a heathen; try to remember you have a civilised half."
My stepson, having been brought up here all his life, started picking the odd British English phrase off me in the beginning. My daughter does too. It was funny hearing them speaking in American accents but saying 'garage' the same way as I do
Old Aug 14th 2013, 4:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... saying 'garage' the same way as I do
I abandoned ga-ridge in favour of gah-rahj very soon after I arrived. Tom-ar-toe went the same way.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 4:58 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I abandoned ga-ridge in favour of gah-rahj very soon after I arrived. Tom-ar-toe went the same way.
I didn't worry about it too much as they seem to be able to understand the UK-English pronounciation of both words just fine out here. It helps that there are no other words that they can be mistaken for, of course.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

I quickly learned (after saying it front of a bunch of kids and their parents)

that its not "its time to lay the table" here

but rather "Its time to set the table"
Old Aug 14th 2013, 7:37 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
I quickly learned (after saying it front of a bunch of kids and their parents)

that its not "its time to lay the table" here

but rather "Its time to set the table"
In general luncheon over here is relatively informal, we only set the table like this for dinner ..

Old Aug 14th 2013, 7:57 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't worry about it too much as they seem to be able to understand the UK-English pronounciation of both words just fine out here. It helps that there are no other words that they can be mistaken for, of course.
I found people here had great difficulty understanding me say tom-ar-toe so I quickly gave in.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 8:04 pm
I have a comma problem

I found people here had great difficulty understanding me say tom-ar-toe so I quickly gave in.
I say it as 'tom-ah-to', I wonder if that makes a difference. Plus, saying it the American way sounds really stupid in my accent, too.

If all else fails, we could always say 'that big red thing with snot inside' and they'll get the idea

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.