Kids?

Old May 24th 2005, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kids?

I was driving the kids to school this morning and was telling them how when I was a kid in England I would walk to school. I said that I would call for my friends on the way and we would all walk together there and back ... I also mentioned how it was fun to spend that time chatting with my mates before/after school! The eldest (13) said in a very sarcastic tone, "So you thought that was fun?" I asked him what he meant, but he declined to answer.

I'm wondering whether children in this Country even know anything beyond being driven to school and back by Mom or Dad? Is it really that hard for them to comprehend that walking to and from school with your mates can actually be fun?

This might have nothing to do with this Country, maybe it's the same in the UK now too ... and I'm just out of touch?
Old May 24th 2005, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids?

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
I was driving the kids to school this morning and was telling them how when I was a kid in England I would walk to school. I said that I would call for my friends on the way and we would all walk together there and back ... I also mentioned how it was fun to spend that time chatting with my mates before/after school! The eldest (13) said in a very sarcastic tone, "So you thought that was fun?" I asked him what he meant, but he declined to answer.

I'm wondering whether children in this Country even know anything beyond being driven to school and back by Mom or Dad? Is it really that hard for them to comprehend that walking to and from school with your mates can actually be fun?

This might have nothing to do with this Country, maybe it's the same in the UK now too ... and I'm just out of touch?
I would go out of my way to call on my friends and walk to school with them, that includes secondary school too - and it wasn't all that long ago either.
Old May 24th 2005, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I would go out of my way to call on my friends and walk to school with them, that includes secondary school too - and it wasn't all that long ago either.
So, when you look back, did you have fun walking to and from school with your mates? Would you have thought it more fun for your parents to take you to and from school?

In my day, I seem to remember that the kids who got taken to and from school by Mom and Dad hated it ... as it cut out that bit of time when they could be with their mates.

I'm thinking maybe it's just a sign of the times ... children these days can't stand the thought of walking for 5 minutes, as if that in itself is some kind of punishment!
Old May 24th 2005, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

And if they think walking to school was no fun try telling them this (get the violins out too):

When I lived in a village my Dad wouldn't buy me or my brothers/sister any sweets until Sunday morning when we would have to walk to the next village with him to buy them, it was about 6 miles there and back. I found this fun too.
Old May 24th 2005, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So, when you look back, did you have fun walking to and from school with your mates? Would you have thought it more fun for your parents to take you to and from school?

In my day, I seem to remember that the kids who got taken to and from school by Mom and Dad hated it ... as it cut out that bit of time when they could be with their mates.

I'm thinking maybe it's just a sign of the times ... children these days can't stand the thought of walking for 5 minutes, as if that in itself is some kind of punishment!
Well I thought it was fun. It was the thing that everyone did who lived within about 3 miles of the school - I had moved to a town at this point.

I can't remember one of my friends who got a lift to school.
Old May 24th 2005, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

And if they think walking to school was no fun try telling them this (get the violins out too):

When I lived in a village my Dad wouldn't buy me or my brothers/sister any sweets until Sunday morning when we would have to walk to the next village with him to buy them, it was about 6 miles there and back. I found this fun too.
I don't think they would ever get their heads round that one!

I had to wait till the weekend too ... Dad would give me just enough to buy a Jamboree Bag or a sherbit dip on Saturday mornings, thus sweets were always a special treat. Here, it would seem, that if you don't have $5.00 a day for the blinkin' ice cream van you are ill treating them!
Old May 24th 2005, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

canny lass is an unknown quantity at this point

Because I was the eldest in the street (14) I was in charge of the younger children who would walk to school. I was paid 2 shillings a week by the mothers and bought my first LP by the Beatles and I still have it 42 years later. June
Old May 24th 2005, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well I thought it was fun. It was the thing that everyone did who lived within about 3 miles of the school - I had moved to a town at this point.

I can't remember one of my friends who got a lift to school.
I can only remember a couple of kids who got a lift to school ... if they lived too far to walk they would get the bus ... and that was fun too!
Old May 24th 2005, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by canny lass
Because I was the eldest in the street (14) I was in charge of the younger children who would walk to school. I was paid 2 shillings a week by the mothers and bought my first LP by the Beatles and I still have it 42 years later. June
Nice story ... and a nice momento to still have! Have to admit, I feel sorry for the kids today, sorry that have no idea what it's like to be a kid, what real fun is (i.e. spending money and getting things isn't the only way to have fun, but they don't seem to understand that!).
Old May 24th 2005, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I can only remember a couple of kids who got a lift to school ... if they lived too far to walk they would get the bus ... and that was fun too!
I used to get the bus to school from the village to the local town when I started secondary school and before I moved to town.

Oh I remember the days..... !

Maybe kids are just spoilt, getting everything given to them on a plate. I had to pay half the money towards my first bike!
Old May 24th 2005, 9:02 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Woudn't have done it any other way. We always thought that the kids who got a lift were rather, er, lame.
Old May 24th 2005, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

I used to get the bus to school from the village to the local town when I started secondary school and before I moved to town.

Oh I remember the days..... !

Maybe kids are just spoilt, getting everything given to them on a plate. I had to pay half the money towards my first bike!
I had to pay all the money for my first bike ... and I cherished that bike because I had to work for it, another lesson in life (i.e. the value of money) that so many of us had to learn, but so few are expected to learn today! Besides which, in this Country ... a bike !! :scared: ... most just get given a motor!
Old May 24th 2005, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Woudn't have done it any other way. We always thought that the kids who got a lift were rather, er, lame.
Oh god, yes, now I remember ... the kids who got a lift hated it because it just wasn't done to have Mummy and Daddy take you to and from school!

Private ed might have been different on that score though ...
Old May 24th 2005, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh god, yes, now I remember ... the kids who got a lift hated it because it just wasn't done to have Mummy and Daddy take you to and from school!
Especially if they dropped you inside the gates :scared:

The meant a 'mummy's boy' comment for sure.
Old May 24th 2005, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

strim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Same here. I always walked to school, called for my mates on the way. We had a great time larking around and occasionaly tormenting the other kids.

The walk home from school was when all the faction happened -- fights, flirting etc...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.