Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Kid finds gun at our local park

Kid finds gun at our local park

Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Kid finds gun at our local park

I heard about this on the news last night but couldn't find a link or anything for more details. I was supposed to meet friends there yesterday morning, fortunately for me and my five year old I had to wait in for a delivery!

http://cbs11tv.com/topstories/local_...110174007.html

Very very scary to say the least!
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:55 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kid finds gun at our local park

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
I heard about this on the news last night but couldn't find a link or anything for more details. I was supposed to meet friends there yesterday morning, fortunately for me and my five year old I had to wait in for a delivery!

http://cbs11tv.com/topstories/local_...110174007.html

Very very scary to say the least!
That's OK. They think the owner just dropped it. So, rather than prosecute the reckless ****ing moron, they're going to track him down so they can return it to him.

I'm sure all you gun owners on these boards will be quick to point out how this is the right and proper thing to do. After all, guns don't kill people - kids with guns kill people, eh?
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:24 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
That's OK. They think the owner just dropped it. So, rather than prosecute the reckless ****ing moron, they're going to track him down so they can return it to him.

I'm sure all you gun owners on these boards will be quick to point out how this is the right and proper thing to do. After all, guns don't kill people - kids with guns kill people, eh?

I read somewhere yesterday that 40-50% of households here own at least one gun. I had NO idea gun ownership is so prevalent. If this is indeed true, it's f***ing scary.

I'm glad my kids are grown. There is no way I would have let them go and play at the houses of friends whose parents owned guns.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure there's any laws concerning losing a gun, so I don't know what else the ATF would do?

They could just keep them.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I read somewhere yesterday that 40-50% of households here own at least one gun. I had NO idea gun ownership is so prevalent. If this is indeed true, it's f***ing scary.

I'm glad my kids are grown. There is no way I would have let them go and play at the houses of friends whose parents owned guns.
And you've been here how long?
Old Apr 21st 2007, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

goldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Elvira

I plan to ask if they have guns, as my children are very young. That's the advice I've read, anyway. My understanding is gunshot wounds are the leading cause of death for teenage boys in America. And teenagers are twice as likely to commit suicide if a gun is kept in the house. Majority of fatal acicdents involding a firearm occur in the home.

Not that the suicide stats for the U.S. aren't concerning enough! Some serious mental health issues and suicide problems in that country.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

That's very worrying, and seriously *****ed up.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 12:59 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

THE MOST COMMON CAUSE OF ACCIDENTAL DEATH... US

1. Motor vehicle crashes
Deaths per year: 43,200

2. Falls
Deaths per year: 14,900

3. Poisoning by solids and liquids
Deaths per year: 8,600

4. Drowning
Deaths per year: 4,000

5. Fires and burns
Deaths per year: 3,700

6. Suffocation
Deaths per year: 3,300

7. Firearms
Deaths per year: 1,500

8. Poisoning by gases
Deaths per year: 700

9. Medical & Surgical Complications and Misadventures
Deaths per year: 500

10. Machinery
Deaths per year: 350

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Accuracy ...no idea ...

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/topte...dentsfull.html
Old Apr 21st 2007, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

goldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to behold

Interesting, Ray.

I hope it's clear from my post that I was referring only to teenage boys, and generally, adolescents. Though I have read also that the leading cause of death for women in the home is gunshot.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:09 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
THE MOST COMMON CAUSE OF ACCIDENTAL DEATH... US

1. Motor vehicle crashes
Deaths per year: 43,200

2. Falls
Deaths per year: 14,900

3. Poisoning by solids and liquids
Deaths per year: 8,600

4. Drowning
Deaths per year: 4,000

5. Fires and burns
Deaths per year: 3,700

6. Suffocation
Deaths per year: 3,300

7. Firearms
Deaths per year: 1,500

8. Poisoning by gases
Deaths per year: 700

9. Medical & Surgical Complications and Misadventures
Deaths per year: 500

10. Machinery
Deaths per year: 350

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Accuracy ...no idea ...

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/topte...dentsfull.html
The fact that accidental deaths caused by firearms is even in the top 10 -- or top 20, for that matter -- is alarming.

And those are just the ACCIDENTAL deaths.

~ Jenney
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I'm not sure there's any laws concerning losing a gun, so I don't know what else the ATF would do?

They could just keep them.
There should be laws regarding losing a gun. If someone is not responsible enough to keep track of it, then IMO they are not responsible enough to own one. Unfortunately, responsibilty doesn't seem to be an issue.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:19 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldcrown
My understanding is gunshot wounds are the leading cause of death for teenage boys in America. And teenagers are twice as likely to commit suicide if a gun is kept in the house. Majority of fatal acicdents involding a firearm occur in the home.

I suppose the thought that this gun was ditched by some delinquant being pursued or who just committed a crime with it seems more likely than someone accidently 'losing' their pistol (Oh, damn, now where did I leave my pistol at? Hell- I am ALWAYS losing that damn .22!!)

As to the stat about teenagers, I doubt that it is that simple- I seem to recall reading or hearing that it was the #1 cause of accidental death for Black teens, and that auto accidents account for most deaths among white teens. That could be- with the inner city crime/gang problems and all the drive by shootings and drug related murders.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
There should be laws regarding losing a gun. If someone is not responsible enough to keep track of it, then IMO they are not responsible enough to own one. Unfortunately, responsibilty doesn't seem to be an issue.
FFS ..I don't think people go around trying to lose their gun ...
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
FFS ..I don't think people go around trying to lose their gun ...

I'm quite sure they do not.
Whether intentional or not, owning a gun is, IMO, a big responsibility and should be treated as such. If a person is unable to keep track of the thing, then I don't thing they should have the right to carry such a responsibility.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:35 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by danfan
I'm quite sure they do not.
Whether intentional or not, owning a gun is, IMO, a big responsibility and should be treated as such.
So is a car ... but enough get stolen and the thieves die when crashing
or kill someone else ....Lets blame the car owner for lack of car security ...
Google stolen car deaths

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.