Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

kettles toasters four way stops & pedestrians

kettles toasters four way stops & pedestrians

Old Aug 10th 2008, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Bitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really nice
Default kettles toasters four way stops & pedestrians

"Oh I LOVE your accent, where are you from.... Australia?"
"Yes that's EXACTLY where I'm from and let me guess you're from CANADA"

Anyway been in Santa Cruz for 3 months now. Managed to rent a townhouse without a social security number, get a credit card, buy that elusive kettle (yes that was me who declared California was OUT of kettles!), having a bit of a toaster fiasco - why don't they sell toasters with holes big enough to fit the bread? I have to have it sticking out and then flip it over...... have also bought a house and two cars and am running the business and surviving on about 4 hours sleep a night. Can anyone relate to sleep deprived stress?

Anyway what's the deal with cross walks aka zebra crossings? In the UK you wait patiently at the curb and a nice motorist slows down and lets you cross. Here in CA, no-one will stop for you UNLESS you step out in front of them. And what's with those meandering pedestrians in supermarket car parks? They wonder around aimlessly and step out in front of you at a snail's pace like they own the flipping road!

And what's the deal with stop signs.... yeah I know you wait and take your turn and have to concentrate otherwise you either lose your place in line OR you get everyone waving furiously at you "It's YOUR turn!" BUT what happens when it's your turn and some crazy pedestrian falls out into the road in front of you.... do you take the next available slot or do you lose your place entirely and have to go to the back of the line.

Have you noticed when ending a phone conversation, you don't get a polite "bye" instead the word is ommited entirely or you just get a grunt. Likewise when you say "thank you" you either get an OTT "you're welcome" or a very rude "uh huh"...
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of
Default Re: kettles toasters four way stops & pedestrians

Stop signs, don't get me started on those. I know there is supposed to be a rule of who goes when, but to be honest in Dallas, I've found its whoever moves first. And have Americans never heard of a Give Way sign (Yield). As you enter our neighborhood you come to a T junction and yes you guessed it there is a Stop sign there, it drives me insane !!! :curse:

Anyway, welcome to America. My most annoying gripe about this country is the banking system

Last edited by Jmaster911; Aug 10th 2008 at 3:15 am.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bitzi
Anyway been in Santa Cruz for 3 months now.
Welcome to the neighborhood

Anyway what's the deal with cross walks aka zebra crossings? In the UK you wait patiently at the curb and a nice motorist slows down and lets you cross. Here in CA, no-one will stop for you UNLESS you step out in front of them.
You should be grateful that "Here in CA" (ie places like Santa Cruz) they actually do stop when you step out in front of them. Don't depend on that behavior elsewhere ...

Have you noticed when ending a phone conversation, you don't get a polite "bye" instead the word is ommited entirely or you just get a grunt. Likewise when you say "thank you" you either get an OTT "you're welcome" or a very rude "uh huh"...
Oh, really?

When I first came out to California about 20 years ago everyone seemed to say "Oh, really?" all the time - it really irritated me but now I don't notice it so much - not sure if it has gone out of fashion or if I have just become immune to it ...
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway what's the deal with cross walks aka zebra crossings? In the UK you wait patiently at the curb and a nice motorist slows down and lets you cross. Here in CA, no-one will stop for you UNLESS you step out in front of them.
It's a feature, not a bug. How long do you have to wait in UK BEFORE someone actually stops? Here, you simply step out with confidence, and everyone stops - without fail. Look on the bright side! The only downside of this is, when you go back to UK, you have to remember that you can't do that over there - I have several near-death experiences when I return.

Have you noticed when ending a phone conversation, you don't get a polite "bye" instead the word is ommited entirely or you just get a grunt.
I think you must have a defective phone! People are overly polite on the phone and I can't hang up without a 'have a nice day', or 'thanks for calling'. What are you calling about - foreclosing on their homes? selling aluminum siding?

Likewise when you say "thank you" you either get an OTT "you're welcome" ...
seems like you have a very precise expectation on the way phone calls should be conducted! This is a different country ... they drive on the other side of the road, have a different currency, and ... have different customs when it comes to communications ... enjoy it, it's all part of the experience!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 11:27 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jmaster911
Stop signs, don't get me started on those. I know there is supposed to be a rule of who goes when, but to be honest in Dallas, I've found its whoever moves first. And have Americans never heard of a Give Way sign (Yield). As you enter our neighborhood you come to a T junction and yes you guessed it there is a Stop sign there, it drives me insane !!! :curse:
But aren't those things just suggestions? (Like the speed limit ones).

You'll be telling me that I should stop at red traffic lights next...
Old Aug 10th 2008, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

The pedestrians DO own the road (in a way). You aren't allowed to run them down after all.

Dunno what it is with Brits and 4-way stops. We just seem to manage somehow. I don't know how, it just seems to work for me. My Keith, who is learning to drive, would sit there forever - cannot figure out when it's his turn
Old Aug 10th 2008, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
But aren't those things just suggestions? (Like the speed limit ones).

You'll be telling me that I should stop at red traffic lights next...
Well... you might pause a bit when turning right.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 12:19 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

"Oh I LOVE your accent, where are you from.... Australia?"
"Yes that's EXACTLY where I'm from and let me guess you're from CANADA"

Anyway been in Santa Cruz for 3 months now. Managed to rent a townhouse without a social security number, get a credit card, buy that elusive kettle (yes that was me who declared California was OUT of kettles!), having a bit of a toaster fiasco - why don't they sell toasters with holes big enough to fit the bread? I have to have it sticking out and then flip it over...... have also bought a house and two cars and am running the business and surviving on about 4 hours sleep a night. Can anyone relate to sleep deprived stress?

Anyway what's the deal with cross walks aka zebra crossings? In the UK you wait patiently at the curb and a nice motorist slows down and lets you cross. Here in CA, no-one will stop for you UNLESS you step out in front of them. And what's with those meandering pedestrians in supermarket car parks? They wonder around aimlessly and step out in front of you at a snail's pace like they own the flipping road!

And what's the deal with stop signs.... yeah I know you wait and take your turn and have to concentrate otherwise you either lose your place in line OR you get everyone waving furiously at you "It's YOUR turn!" BUT what happens when it's your turn and some crazy pedestrian falls out into the road in front of you.... do you take the next available slot or do you lose your place entirely and have to go to the back of the line.

but this is america....and welcome
Old Aug 10th 2008, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TruBrit
but this is america....and welcome
LOL yes true, hi and welcome btw to the OP.

My toaster fits the bread in...

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CPT-...8371946&sr=8-3
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

Anyway what's the deal with cross walks aka zebra crossings
Here in MD it's state law that you must stop if someone is wating to cross. Yours truly forgot this one day and wound up being pulled over and going to court - getting a $65 fine after agreeing to plead guilty to a lesser charge....
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:49 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pharrya
Here in MD it's state law that you must stop if someone is wating to cross. Yours truly forgot this one day and wound up being pulled over and going to court - getting a $65 fine after agreeing to plead guilty to a lesser charge....
$65 seems a bit steep, but it must be less if you don't actually run them over, surely?
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tonrob
$65 seems a bit steep, but it must be less if you don't actually run them over, surely?
Reminds me of our comments re. stupid pedestrians - "Two points for the BIG one!"
Old Aug 10th 2008, 4:02 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by Tracym
Reminds me of our comments re. stupid pedestrians - "Two points for the BIG one!"
Well, if you're fully comp why not?

I suppose there's always the deductible but it might be worth it just for bragging rights on BE!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

The thing that drives me crazy around where I live is that cars can turn right on a red light and the light changes to red concurrently with the pedestrian sign changing to WALK. The drivers think they have the right of way and don't care if you are waiting by the side of the road or walking confidently across the road already, they still won't stop until they absolutely have to. I've almost been run over several times. One time my USC husband got annoyed with a driver for almost running me over and the driver turned around, came back and got out of the car with a passenger and proceeded to shout at us from across the street wanting to fight about it. LOL
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
The thing that drives me crazy around where I live is that cars can turn right on a red light and the light changes to red concurrently with the pedestrian sign changing to WALK. The drivers think they have the right of way and don't care if you are waiting by the side of the road or walking confidently across the road already, they still won't stop until they absolutely have to. I've almost been run over several times. One time my USC husband got annoyed with a driver for almost running me over and the driver turned around, came back and got out of the car with a passenger and proceeded to shout at us from across the street wanting to fight about it. LOL
yep the same here however you're lucky, here they don't shout across the street they get their guns out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.