Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Keeping up the stereotype

Keeping up the stereotype

Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:01 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping up the stereotype

Originally Posted by blaze
Health insurance doesn't cover dental at all, dental insurance does. The majority of dental ins companies cover preventative appt's 100% (I.e check-ups, cleanings e.t.c).
Fillings will usually be covered in the 70-80% range depending on whether you are looking to have amalgam (silver fillings) or composite (tooth coloured fillings) and in which teeth they are to be placed (some ins companies will not put composites on posterior (back) teeth.
Yeah, they downgrade to an amalgam!

Do you like working in the dental field? It's helped me to understand how my insurance works! Plus when I'm sat in the chair, I add up how much it's going to cost me!

When I was having my dental appointment last week, my dentist/boss said he would have his dental benefits coordinator check my benefits, I looked at him & smiled, it only took a few seconds for it to dawn on him!!!

Last edited by Partystar; Aug 22nd 2006 at 9:12 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

bettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
...that English people have bad teeth. Sorry

Last week I went to a newly opened dentist coz he's closer to home, and my kids hated the last bloke we saw.
So, the first thing he said to me was......... I need jaw surgery :scared:
I have a really bad overbite, no news there, I've always had it. But apparently it's causing me to grind my teeth at night and they are literally being worn away.

Went to the orthodontist today, and he said the same thing. Braces, jaw surgery and more braces. :scared: :scared: WTF!!??

Has anyone else had extreme procedures recommended or done on their teeth? I do get the impression this is more of a necessity than the 'lets just give you the perfect american smile' attitude you might get. I'm just crapping myself about the thought of surgery, not to mention the cost of it all if the insurance won't cover part of it.

Still, looking on the bright side, I don't have any cavities.
No surgery but I just have to say...last time i went to a new dentist here he examined me then said 'i can't believe how good your teeth are for being english'
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

bettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
In my opinion, dentists here are 'drill happy', so it could be an exaggeration, plus the more work they do, the more money they get, you are in effect a client. I used to grind my teeth at night (I don't have an overbite though), they gave me a mouth guard type thing & I wore it at night & now I don't do it anymore, I only used the guard for a few weeks, but it worked.

Always go for a second opinion if it's anything major (as your case seems), even a third if that will make you feel better.
I agree...the first dentist i went to here said i needed 3 fillings i think it was, braces and my wisdom teeth taken out. went to someone else and i didnt need any of that done, just 1 filling. I think they make stuff up to get more money if they cant find much wrong!
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

this really annoys me here. My wife wonderful as she is is absolutely obsessed about her teeth. Fortunately she married me edspite my imperfect (natural i call it) english teeth.
Women complain how they are pressured to conform to certain body types etc. however people seem to have no problem conforming to the brilliant white hollywood smile stereotype. I tried in vain explaining that they were abnormal and I was normal.. that they had the unnatural synthetic artificially created smile unlike my proudly wonky imperfect one.
I have always been hapyp with my smile, never been a problem for me nobody commented on it back home. Whilst its not badd enough to attract too much attention here you certainyl feel in the dentist chair like there is something seriously deformed about oneself.
Funnily enough my first dentist estimate was about $7000 too!
They wanted to replace my perfectly good english root canal/crown with an implant ($3-4000) then a full set of braces for a year or so another 4K. I said thankyou very much but I have better things to spend my money on. My teeth give me very little trouble I think. Every time I go for a cleaning they ask me when I am gonig to get them whitened. They cant understand when I say I am very happy with the colour and dont intend on having an artifical plastic surgery brilliant white type smile like in the pictures. Sure if I was going to be an actor or a model or something I can see the benefit but not for the average joe.
I object strongly to being made to feel insecure about myself because I dont conform to some imaginary synthetic artificial dental fantasy which is sole there to bring in the big bucks for the dentist.

Originally Posted by bettyboop80
No surgery but I just have to say...last time i went to a new dentist here he examined me then said 'i can't believe how good your teeth are for being english'
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bettyboop80
I agree...the first dentist i went to here said i needed 3 fillings i think it was, braces and my wisdom teeth taken out. went to someone else and i didnt need any of that done, just 1 filling. I think they make stuff up to get more money if they cant find much wrong!

haha my usc hubs still prefers our uk dentist even more so after this little episode.....

back in feb this year hubs went to a highly recommended dentist here in houston for a clean and polish and the dentist said hubs had gingivitis and that he could solve it if my hubs spent $3000 on some new treatment..lol

so off back to our uk dentist hubs goes for a 2nd opinion and she said no way does hubs have any gum disease ffs hubs doesn't even have a filling .... zero cavities for him

anyway on hubs return to houston he contacts the 'dentist' that said he had gingivitis and asked for the x-rays so we could fedex them over to our uk dentist and said if it was proved he had the gum disease then he'd have the treatment and as of today we still have not got them and we've not heard another thing from them...

con artist of the first order for sure, i reported him to the BBB...
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelman
Every time I go for a cleaning they ask me when I am gonig to get them whitened. They cant understand when I say I am very happy with the colour and dont intend on having an artifical plastic surgery brilliant white type smile like in the pictures. Sure if I was going to be an actor or a model or something I can see the benefit but not for the average joe.
I object strongly to being made to feel insecure about myself because I dont conform to some imaginary synthetic artificial dental fantasy which is sole there to bring in the big bucks for the dentist.
I used to read a message board that was mostly for American women. One of them said she was once in a nightclub where this guy had teeth you could see from across the dance floor, they were violet in the UV lighting and once he was in the normal fluoro off the dancefloor his teeth were Dulux white. The woman said, "And then I realized who it was ... he was my dentist."

I don't want teeth that glow in the dark, unless I'm going out begging for sweeties at Hallowe'en.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:56 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cinnabar
I used to read a message board that was mostly for American women. One of them said she was once in a nightclub where this guy had teeth you could see from across the dance floor, they were violet in the UV lighting and once he was in the normal fluoro off the dancefloor his teeth were Dulux white. The woman said, "And then I realized who it was ... he was my dentist."

I don't want teeth that glow in the dark, unless I'm going out begging for sweeties at Hallowe'en.
Much like the episode of Friends when Ross gets his teeth whitened, very funny!
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 10:01 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=cinnabar]
Originally Posted by blaze

Someone always has to have a smart comeback to a good rant.

Well, don't speak out of your a***e then!
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 10:08 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Yeah, they downgrade to an amalgam!

Do you like working in the dental field? It's helped me to understand how my insurance works! Plus when I'm sat in the chair, I add up how much it's going to cost me!

When I was having my dental appointment last week, my dentist/boss said he would have his dental benefits coordinator check my benefits, I looked at him & smiled, it only took a few seconds for it to dawn on him!!!

LOL!

Yes, I love it. I have been in the dentistry field for as long as I can remember. I don't think that I would want to do anything else now.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=blaze]

Well, don't speak out of your a***e then!
Yes Miss.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 10:28 pm
Back where I belong!

Yes Miss.
Don't you take that tone with her young lady!
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 10:58 pm
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute

Can't bear our dentist here, actually she is not that bad. Its her receptionist I don't like.

"Hi, Sam" (er its "Mrs Buchanan to you")

We were regular dental goers in the UK, the first time I took me and the kids to see the dentist here 1 needed nothing, 1 needed 5 cavities (both needed the sealents done, which I actually think is good) and I needed 8 cavities. I was horrified, I felt like I had never taken them to the dentist before or ever got them to brush their teeth.

They also told me I had an absess under by bottom front teeth (news to me, they didn't do anything about it, and guess what I don't feel anything so who knows)

Me and hubby were also told we had serious peridontal disease , the hygienist took about hour and a half cleaning hubbies teeth then asked:

"did you enjoy that"

Oh yes must remember to come here instead of going to happy hour .... not

Anyway we live not far from Apache Junction where most people only have a couple of teeth, so perhaps we're not doing so bad after all.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 11:03 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by sambuc
Can't bear our dentist here, actually she is not that bad. Its her receptionist I don't like.

"Hi, Sam" (er its "Mrs Buchanan to you")

We were regular dental goers in the UK, the first time I took me and the kids to see the dentist here 1 needed nothing, 1 needed 5 cavities (both needed the sealents done, which I actually think is good) and I needed 8 cavities. I was horrified, I felt like I had never taken them to the dentist before or ever got them to brush their teeth.

They also told me I had an absess under by bottom front teeth (news to me, they didn't do anything about it, and guess what I don't feel anything so who knows)

Me and hubby were also told we had serious peridontal disease , the hygienist took about hour and a half cleaning hubbies teeth then asked:

"did you enjoy that"

Oh yes must remember to come here instead of going to happy hour .... not

Anyway we live not far from Apache Junction where most people only have a couple of teeth, so perhaps we're not doing so bad after all.
You should come to my dental office, we're all lovely, but it's a bit of a drive for you!
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 11:04 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

My eldest daughters had orthodontistry(?) done in the UK on the good old NHS. Their orthodontist was great. He was really interested in his work and very proud of his results. All their treatment was finished by the time we moved but he recommended that we found a US orthodontist and had their teeth checked after 6 months to make sure nothing had moved back.

Our orthodontist here is very nice in a permatanned, giant smile sort of way. All his staff have perfect teeth as you would expect and it is sort of scary when they all smile at once!!!!
Anyway he recommended that both daughters had braces again for at least two years and that the eldest had jaw surgery (Her bottom jaw is slightly bigger than the top.)
My vain middle daughter promptly burst into tears at the prospect of more braces and refused outright. The eldest decided that the jaw problems he was predicting for her in middle age might never happen, that there might be a better way of treating them in 30 years time and so she would give it a miss.
I was relieved as I didn't like the prospect of surgery for the eldest and the cost was prohibitive even with good dental insurance.

Everyone in their client photographs looked like an extra in a Wallace and Grommit film.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 11:05 pm
Blondie22

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Everyone in their client photographs looked like an extra in a Wallace and Grommit film.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.