Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Keeping a UK credit card

Keeping a UK credit card

Old Jan 19th 2011, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Keeping a UK credit card

Hi,

Just wondering if it's possible to keep a UK credit card (specifically Nationwide) whilst living overseas. Just thinking it would be really handy to still have it for trips back to Blighty and the like.

I'm wondering if I give my US address if they'll just shut down the account. I do have a UK address I can use for mailing purposes but don't know if that's allowed.

Thoughts, anyone?
Old Jan 19th 2011, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of
Default Re: Keeping a UK credit card

I don't think it is a problem. I've had a UK Amex card for years with a US address; it is tied for payment to my UK bank account so I don't have to deal with exchanging currencies.
Every year after they charge me an annual fee, I call up to cancel it (since I never use it), and then they waive the fee for another year.
Actually come to think of it, I don't actually think that I have a valid card anymore, I just seem to get the statements. But I don't see any problems with you having a UK card and a US address.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

It varies bank to bank. Some get upset when you have an overseas address. It might be worth a quick read through of the T&C which should be on their website somewhere. With online banking it is relatively easy to leave a UK address on the account and switch to e-statements.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 4:28 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a Nationwide CC but I do have Nationwide accounts and they've had no problem with putting my US address on the file and removing the UK one. I just received a new debit card from them recently.

It's a little easier if you can sort it out initially in person at a branch, though, rather than trying to do it by phone or email We were fortunate enough to be able to arrange everything before we left. Since moving I have updated my US address with a new US address online and there was no problem.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 5:28 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

We have kept our UK cards and have no problems so far. We did mention that we were moving abroad for a few years but I'm not sure they were paying that much attention and we didn't feel the need to stress it. They get paid off every month so I can't imagine they would be overly bothered.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Rougesvp is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have multiple UK credit cards, never had any issues. When the FX rate is in our favour I sometimes use them for buying things here and pay online thru my UK bank account.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rougesvp
I also have multiple UK credit cards, never had any issues. When the FX rate is in our favour I sometimes use them for buying things here and pay online thru my UK bank account.
Watch out for sneaky foreign purchase fees and exchange rates. I know Tesco now uses its own less favorable exchange rate.

Also some banks get upset if you don't use your card for a long time and may not issue a replacement unless you ask for one.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 5:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I still have my Barclaycard. I can't use it over here anymore unless I call them often and let them know I'm here they must think I'm on holiday a lot., the bill goes to my mothers house we used to use it for presents for the kids from her, save on posting.
I had to call and get a new pin when I was over I forgot it's been so long since I used it.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

FionaC will become famous soon enough

I still have a Nationwide credit card - it's fine. They send me the monthly statement to my US address. Really not a problem.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 12:56 am
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

I found that some US websites are funny on non-USA issued cards, but there are plenty that don't care (e.g. Amazon can hold all your cards & addresses with no problem).
This is because the billing address must match the shipping address and vice-versa, to combat fraud I think.

Also, if you opt for paperless statements, there's nothing to send to you each month so you don't have to worry about that element.

if you can keep a UK address, even if its a mailing address (like I use), it can prove handy.

I kept all my UK accounts/cards & other UK stuff (including a house) in case things didn't work out here and if I had to return, I wouldn't have a whole palava to go through changing my life back, all over again.
I have Co-op & RBS cards.

My bank didn't seem to care where my address is and I get statements sent here OK.

Last edited by Volt61; Jan 20th 2011 at 12:59 am.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Bonestable will become famous soon enough

I had a Barclaycard with a US address for almost 10 years. Then last year they wrote and said non residents could no longer have Barclaycards, so unless I gave them a UK address they would cancel my card.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Rougesvp is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never had a Barclaycard so can't assist there.
To avoid foreign transaction charges you need to apply for the freedom card from Abbey National; it's issued by Banco Santander who own them now!

Good luck!
Old Jan 20th 2011, 2:06 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

also bear in mind that some banks are starting to get funny about foreign dealings. ie they have to do a lot more reporting on sums of money coming from abroad. so a UK bank might have to comply with the requirements if you have a US address on the account. so uk banks might blanket decline to operate like that regardless of how you actually use the account.

For example - JPMorgan has recently announced that it will be closing all its diplomatic accounts - as the reporting requirements are going to be too onerous and thus reducing any profit to be made on the accounts.

I am not saying what will happen - just be aware that it may become a lot more difficult for someone resident in the US to have accounts open in other countries. I hope it doesnt change as i use my accounts back home a lot. (and the family has 4 nationwide savings accounts and 2 child trust funds all with nationwide - as well as various other uk banks and accounts.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

gatsbygirl8 will become famous soon enough

We too have kept our UK credit cards active and provided our new US address with no problems. Just wondering how all of you manage to pay your bills though? Obviously, through your UK bank account but how are you transferring the money into that account, assuming you are now earning dollars? We're using XE trade right now, but I'm open to better options if there's anything else out there.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:56 am
Banned

blamington is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MadRad
Hi,

Just wondering if it's possible to keep a UK credit card (specifically Nationwide) whilst living overseas. Just thinking it would be really handy to still have it for trips back to Blighty and the like.

I'm wondering if I give my US address if they'll just shut down the account. I do have a UK address I can use for mailing purposes but don't know if that's allowed.

Thoughts, anyone?
I still have my UK bank account and credit card. I did not inform the bank I was going overseas, and I still use my UK address. I have an MBE box and get my post forwarded to my US address. I also have online access to my bank account. I did not tell the bank, as I did not know how they would react, and I do need a UK account.

Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.