British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   K1 Visa Medical Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/k1-visa-medical-insurance-648293/)

teamroberts Jan 9th 2010 10:10 pm

K1 Visa Medical Insurance
 
Hi guys,

I've searched the forums as well as the net and stumbling a bit...

We just got my K-1 visa approved on Thursday, flights booked for 20th Feb, due to be married 9th March! :-)

I'm worried about medical insurance and WHAT type to get... Technically the K-1 is a non-immigrant visa right? So would just regular travel insurance cover me for the first 90 days?
Once we submit AOS and I get my green card I should get access to better insurance rates? Or am I making that up?

Does anyone else have any experience in this?

I was in the US a few years back on an H4 visa using travel insurance with no problems - I had to use it, trip to the ER via firetruck / ambulance, MRI scan X-rays etc etc Even with the insurance I still ended up paying a few thousand dollars so understandably it's something I'm VERY cautious about!!

Thanks again for all your help!!

agentpeppermint Jan 10th 2010 1:01 am

Re: K1 Visa Medical Insurance
 

Originally Posted by teamroberts (Post 8233069)
Hi guys,

I've searched the forums as well as the net and stumbling a bit...

We just got my K-1 visa approved on Thursday, flights booked for 20th Feb, due to be married 9th March! :-)

I'm worried about medical insurance and WHAT type to get... Technically the K-1 is a non-immigrant visa right? So would just regular travel insurance cover me for the first 90 days?
Once we submit AOS and I get my green card I should get access to better insurance rates? Or am I making that up?

Does anyone else have any experience in this?

I was in the US a few years back on an H4 visa using travel insurance with no problems - I had to use it, trip to the ER via firetruck / ambulance, MRI scan X-rays etc etc Even with the insurance I still ended up paying a few thousand dollars so understandably it's something I'm VERY cautious about!!

Thanks again for all your help!!

we used buyamericaninsurance.com ( i think thats the link, i got it from someone on here ) yours is optional, we were required to buy it. We have first national health through IMG which was just under 600$ for the start up of it...(well HE has it) it covers MOST things, but not routine work, so if the doc bills it wrong, they wont cover it... but its helped out a lot and saved us about 500$ on medical bills so far....


Once you come in on the K-1 you wait about 2 weeks and can apply for your social security number, you can then be added to your spouses. insurance plan...

Duncan Roberts Jan 10th 2010 1:41 am

Re: K1 Visa Medical Insurance
 

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint (Post 8233383)
Once you come in on the K-1 you wait about 2 weeks and can apply for your social security number, you can then be added to your spouses. insurance plan...

a) If the other half has insurance
b) If the plan offers spousal coverage
c) If they are married!

agentpeppermint Jan 10th 2010 1:51 am

Re: K1 Visa Medical Insurance
 

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 8233441)
a) If the other half has insurance
b) If the plan offers spousal coverage
c) If they are married!

lol i assumed her spouse would know this part:thumbup:


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:48 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.