Reload this Page >

K1 Visa Medical Insurance

K1 Visa Medical Insurance

Old Jan 9th 2010, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

teamroberts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1 Visa Medical Insurance

Hi guys,

I've searched the forums as well as the net and stumbling a bit...

We just got my K-1 visa approved on Thursday, flights booked for 20th Feb, due to be married 9th March! :-)

I'm worried about medical insurance and WHAT type to get... Technically the K-1 is a non-immigrant visa right? So would just regular travel insurance cover me for the first 90 days?
Once we submit AOS and I get my green card I should get access to better insurance rates? Or am I making that up?

Does anyone else have any experience in this?

I was in the US a few years back on an H4 visa using travel insurance with no problems - I had to use it, trip to the ER via firetruck / ambulance, MRI scan X-rays etc etc Even with the insurance I still ended up paying a few thousand dollars so understandably it's something I'm VERY cautious about!!

Thanks again for all your help!!
Old Jan 10th 2010, 1:01 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 Visa Medical Insurance

Originally Posted by teamroberts
Hi guys,

I've searched the forums as well as the net and stumbling a bit...

We just got my K-1 visa approved on Thursday, flights booked for 20th Feb, due to be married 9th March! :-)

I'm worried about medical insurance and WHAT type to get... Technically the K-1 is a non-immigrant visa right? So would just regular travel insurance cover me for the first 90 days?
Once we submit AOS and I get my green card I should get access to better insurance rates? Or am I making that up?

Does anyone else have any experience in this?

I was in the US a few years back on an H4 visa using travel insurance with no problems - I had to use it, trip to the ER via firetruck / ambulance, MRI scan X-rays etc etc Even with the insurance I still ended up paying a few thousand dollars so understandably it's something I'm VERY cautious about!!

Thanks again for all your help!!
we used buyamericaninsurance.com ( i think thats the link, i got it from someone on here ) yours is optional, we were required to buy it. We have first national health through IMG which was just under 600$ for the start up of it...(well HE has it) it covers MOST things, but not routine work, so if the doc bills it wrong, they wont cover it... but its helped out a lot and saved us about 500$ on medical bills so far....

Once you come in on the K-1 you wait about 2 weeks and can apply for your social security number, you can then be added to your spouses. insurance plan...
Old Jan 10th 2010, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint
Once you come in on the K-1 you wait about 2 weeks and can apply for your social security number, you can then be added to your spouses. insurance plan...
a) If the other half has insurance
b) If the plan offers spousal coverage
c) If they are married!
Old Jan 10th 2010, 1:51 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
a) If the other half has insurance
b) If the plan offers spousal coverage
c) If they are married!
lol i assumed her spouse would know this part