Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just one question

Just one question

Old Jan 3rd 2006, 4:18 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just one question

Originally Posted by britontour
Change the geographical voting area's to have more seats in your strong voting area's.
Tom DeLay was working over there too?

Last edited by ironporer; Jan 3rd 2006 at 5:18 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Bush wasn't widely popular. Look at his first election and while he did marginally better in the second, he still didn't win by an unanimous popular vote.
But the margin of victory that he did achieve, is known over here as "the popular vote", you can tell us all how popular or not he may be, but this is the term used. I'm not getting statistical on you, just using the phrase.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
But the margin of victory that he did achieve, is known over here as "the popular vote", you can tell us all how popular or not he may be, but this is the term used. I'm not getting statistical on you, just using the phrase.
I know, its just such an unpopular phrase with me, especially since I don't think he's that popular. And I'm not just referring to myself, I believe his popularlity is sinking according to polls.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:49 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I know, its just such an unpopular phrase with me, especially since I don't think he's that popular. And I'm not just referring to myself, I believe his popularlity is sinking according to polls.
"Popular" opinion and personal opinion are often poles apart.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 11:30 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
The tree is down and laying in the yard like an obiturary to Christmas. The lingering smell of Turkey farts is a distance memory. The remaining bits of $300 worth of toys have been placed into the back of the cupboard never to be seen again until the Good Will run in 2007. Why do Americans think Seinfeld is so funny!
Love Seinfeld myself - his stand-up is tremendous, especially the bit about the werewolf shaving in an airplane. And it gave us great things like Festivus (with accompanying feats of strength, airing of grievances and the aluminium (or aluminum) pole), we got the soup nazi, master of one's domain, and the classic "not that there's anything wrong with that".

There's so much to thank Jerry and Bizarro Jerry for .
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 1:29 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
The "popular vote" is simply the comparison of the total number of votes cast, regardless of their apportionment within the electoral college. Clinton won the popular vote in both his elections because he got more votes than his opponents each time:

1992: 44.9 million for Clinton, 39.1 million for Bush Sr
1996: 47.4 million for Clinton, 39.2 million for Dole

Clinton's share of the vote was 43% and 49% with his opponents getting 37% and 41% in 92 and 96 respectively, while Ross "Barking Chihuahua" Perot basically made up the difference each time.

Incidentally, Bush's winning margin was the smallest ever for an incumbent president.

See various wikipedia pages for the source.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
Love Seinfeld myself - his stand-up is tremendous, especially the bit about the werewolf shaving in an airplane. And it gave us great things like Festivus (with accompanying feats of strength, airing of grievances and the aluminium (or aluminum) pole), we got the soup nazi, master of one's domain, and the classic "not that there's anything wrong with that".

There's so much to thank Jerry and Bizarro Jerry for .

I agree, its the best comedy series I have ever seen. It's the great combination of Jerry/George/Elaine and Kramer that makes it so funny. I can watch re-runs over and over again. Brilliant
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
The "popular vote" is simply the comparison of the total number of votes cast, regardless of their apportionment within the electoral college. Clinton won the popular vote in both his elections because he got more votes than his opponents each time:

1992: 44.9 million for Clinton, 39.1 million for Bush Sr
1996: 47.4 million for Clinton, 39.2 million for Dole

Clinton's share of the vote was 43% and 49% with his opponents getting 37% and 41% in 92 and 96 respectively, while Ross "Barking Chihuahua" Perot basically made up the difference each time.

Incidentally, Bush's winning margin was the smallest ever for an incumbent president.

See various wikipedia pages for the source.
And in 1992, Clinton was the first President since 1968 to win less than 50% of the popular vote, something Bush did in his second term. Now you could say that in 1992 Perot's 19,000,000 votes created this, but in 1996, Perot polled 11,000,000 less votes, yet Clinton only picked up 2.5 million more votes and Dole picked up another 0.1, therefore Clinton still couldn't make it to 50%
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 3:21 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Seinfeld was okay. George was funny but that idiot Kramer used to bug the shit out of me. I just could not see what was so funny about that 'wacky' character, just irritating.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 12:30 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent article in the Independent today about Larry David (who created Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm), "Jewish" humor and Larry's ucoming TV interview with Ricky Gervais:
http://news.independent.co.uk/media/article336347.ece
Old Jan 4th 2006, 12:44 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
I thought Seinfeld was okay. George was funny but that idiot Kramer used to bug the shit out of me. I just could not see what was so funny about that 'wacky' character, just irritating.
They were all irritating to some degree - Elaine and Seinfeld were two of the most irritating characters ever put on TV (IMO).
Old Jan 4th 2006, 12:54 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
They were all irritating to some degree - Elaine and Seinfeld were two of the most irritating characters ever put on TV (IMO).
No where near as irritating as George... and his parents. To me the Jewish overprotective paretns.namby pamby son was funny...but grated on me like fingernails on the chalk board. The show is/was very funny at times...but not something I like to watch all the time. Mayhaps if I were from NYC or Jewish I would feel differently.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 1:27 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Just one question

Originally Posted by ironporer
No where near as irritating as George... and his parents. To me the Jewish overprotective paretns.namby pamby son was funny...but grated on me like fingernails on the chalk board. The show is/was very funny at times...but not something I like to watch all the time. Mayhaps if I were from NYC or Jewish I would feel differently.

Ha ha - living in the NY metro area I know exactly what you mean! Some of my son's friends are Jewish and their mothers are so over-protective it drives me up the wall. For example, my son signed up for a snowboarding day trip last night and I went over to his friend's house to pay for it. The boys (aged 17) need to be in a nearby town by 6am to board their bus, so I suggested that Elias stays overnight at our house and I could drive them both to the ski shop.

His mother didn't even consider it - the reply was an immediate 'no'. She says that they won't sleep and talk late into the night and will be too tired! Jeez..
Old Jan 4th 2006, 1:42 am
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by Englishmum
His mother didn't even consider it - the reply was an immediate 'no'. She says that they won't sleep and talk late into the night and will be too tired! Jeez..
Of course they will up all night talking and stuff - they are kids ! They'll still probably be wide awake in the morning too ! (don;t you just hate how kids can do that better than us ).