Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

just moved to the US from UK

just moved to the US from UK

Old Jul 18th 2009, 1:17 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: just moved to the US from UK

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I'm packing already.
Jeez, can't you all take it to PM? Way to hijack the post of someone who really needs to read something other than this bitchfest.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 1:37 am
Just Joined

reco1977 is just really nicereco1977 is just really nicereco1977 is just really nicereco1977 is just really nicereco1977 is just really nicereco1977 is just really nicereco1977 is just really nicereco1977 is just really nice

Originally Posted by N1cky
I'm not unhappy here.
I came because it was something that was offered to us and I didn't want to live my life saying 'what if?'
I stay because after only 18 months I don't feel I have given it enough of a chance, seen everything I want to see while here, can't afford to move back and husband wouldn't get a job at the moment in the UK.
I like somethings and not others (same as I did in the UK)
I'm not depressed, I said I felt depressed for a couple of months.

Must be nice never to have been unhappy and have everything perfect in your life. Hope you don't need abit of support and encouragement from people if you ever do experience it.
Thank you all for the advice! I thought a lot about what you said and I have booked a 2 week holiday in November.
The past couple of days have been terrible but today was excellent! I just hope tomorrow will be the same. I will keep you all posted on what’s happening.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 3:35 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Jeez, can't you all take it to PM? Way to hijack the post of someone who really needs to read something other than this bitchfest.
Originally Posted by reco1977
Thank you all for the advice! I thought a lot about what you said and I have booked a 2 week holiday in November.
The past couple of days have been terrible but today was excellent! I just hope tomorrow will be the same. I will keep you all posted on what’s happening.
Seems to have worked though

Jesus H.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

I came to Florida in 2002, and never went back for nearly 5 years. I went back in November just like you are going to do. Haha, I quickly realised one damn good reason for not being there, the Winters!! It pissed down with rain for almost the entire 10 days, and I'd forgotten how short the days were.
Everything seemed cramped and I couldn't even park my car near my parents house, as people have 3 or 4 cars on housing estates that were built when most people could hardly afford one car. There are silly things I missed, like the pubs. After going back to a few, I realised I could easily do without them!! One thing sadly, I can't get over is football and rugby. I miss going to live games, but I've discovered gardening, haha!!
Old Jul 18th 2009, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you ask for this to be made a 'sticky'
perfect.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by surly
Seems odd to me so many are so unhappy in the US.
Why come in the first place and why stay if you don't like it?
Life's too short it live somewhere that causes you unhappiness and depression.
Right on brother. This here is the good old US of A, love it or leave it

Five months is a long time to be somewhere where you are unhappy though, hope things get better for the OP.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivit
Right on brother. This here is the good old US of A, love it or leave it

Five months is a long time to be somewhere where you are unhappy though, hope things get better for the OP.
Five months is a long time to be unhappy? Out of a lifetime lasting approximately 80 years? I disagree.

Of course, I do appreciate that when one is unhappy, a single day can feel like a lifetime...
Old Jul 18th 2009, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Five months is a long time to be unhappy? Out of a lifetime lasting approximately 80 years? I disagree.

Of course, I do appreciate that when one is unhappy, a single day can feel like a lifetime...
On the plus side life expectancy is lower in the US, so if you are unhappy you can get out sooner.

I don't get the hostility when advising someone not to stay if they are unhappy. There are far to many expats that say they would leave in a heartbeat if it wasn't for (fill in the blank).
Personally I get the impression the OP is going to be another one of them.
Strangely the most hostility comes from some of the people that most claim to be trapped in the US.
Tough it out, give it time, move to another State may not be the best advice.

Last edited by surly; Jul 18th 2009 at 10:09 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 9:25 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Think of it this way to the OP did you never have a bad day in the UK? and what made a bad day in the UK better or worse then a bad day in the US?............Only I could of thought that one up lol.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Think of it this way to the OP did you never have a bad day in the UK? and what made a bad day in the UK better or worse then a bad day in the US?............Only I could of thought that one up lol.
Yes Grasshopper
Old Jul 18th 2009, 9:50 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reco1977
Going back will definitely be a good thing for you. I've had trips back during my time here (Houston since 2005) and each one has given me something different including: a new found love of the things I took for granted in the UK, the realization that I feel at home in both places but in different ways, the chance to catch up with long term friends who know me more so than my new ones here, the fact I do miss the UK for multiple reasons, the fact I'm lucky to have had the chance to experience the adventure of relocation......the list in both directions can go on and on. Whatever the outcome of your trip, it will do you good one way or the other and I hope at least it makes you feel better for a while.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 9:57 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Grasshopper
This better work this time ...Kung Fo baby
Attached Images  
Old Jul 19th 2009, 1:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
This better work this time ...Kung Fo baby
If the baby had a ciggie in it's hand it would make a good avatar for Leslie.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If the baby had a ciggie in it's hand it would make a good avatar for Leslie.
Yes indeed maybe one of the photo guru's could have a try at getting a fag in the littles ones mouth.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
Because I'm actually trying to get to understand why so many people continue to say how crap their life is here, yet continue living here.
Let me try to help you understand. It's just not that easy to pack up and go home when you've set down some roots here (job, housing etc) and you have no home or job to go back to.

I've been here 3 years and can say hand on heart this is not home for me. I wake up most mornings with that dreaded feeling of "what the hell am I doing here?" but have to face the fact my life as I know it is here in the US, I have no life back home now.....no job, nowhere to live. Sure, all my family and friends are there in the UK, but how long would the novelty last for them if I returned? They'd soon carry on with their own lives, which have no doubt moved on since I left.

There are times I get so low about missing home that I would gladly go back, but I've trained myself to think of the pure logistics of it all and try not to let my heart rule my head. I do this by imagining arriving at Manchester airport with whatever worldy goods I could carry back, very little money, no job, no home......what then?

To the OP, don't be put off coming on here to vent and offload. There are many of us who understand your feelings. And as for your wife, tell her how you feel, don't let her brush it off. My husband loves it here and it took me a while to admit to him how miserable I sometimes feel, and although he thinks it would be a big mistake, he's said if I'm that unhappy we should at least make sensible future plans to return. His unselfishness about it keeps me grounded about how we should go about it, should we decide to leave here. It's made all the difference to me knowing he will support me, even though I know it's not what he really wants.

Talk to your wife. You need to both be on the same page.

And good luck. I hope things turn out OK for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.