British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Just an idle question ... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/just-idle-question-313593/)

Wintersong Jul 13th 2005 1:56 am

Re: Just an idle question ...

Originally Posted by Kaenei
You're wrong - N. Ireland is part of [to give it its full title] "The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland", consisting of the northern counties that failed to secede from the previous "United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland" created by the 1801 act of Union that formed the Irish Free State in 1920. Northern Ireland is not only represented on the Union flag but returns MPs to Westminster Parliament to represent its people.

Precisely how is it not, in every legal and political sense, part of Great Britain?

It's part of the United Kingdom, not Great Britain. Your own post even states that. The UK consists of GB plus NI.

However, your original post did say "as part of the UK" so I have no idea what Mr Roberts was getting at. Probably just being pedantic for the sake of it. :rolleyes:

Kaenei Jul 13th 2005 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Wintersong
It's part of the United Kingdom, not Great Britain. Your own post even states that. The UK consists of GB plus NI.

However, your original post did say "as part of the UK" so I have no idea what Mr Roberts was getting at. Probably just being pedantic for the sake of it. :rolleyes:

If he was referring literally and geographically, then he's correct, but being seperated by the thinnest tract of the Irish sea should hardly have a bearing on the Green Card Lottery. If he was however, disputing N. Ireland's place in the United Kingdom, then the full name of the country -is- "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". The fact it is not part of the mainland England, Scotland and Wales share has no legal implication whatsoever that I can think of.

Wintersong Jul 13th 2005 2:03 am

If he was referring literally and geographically, then he's correct, but being seperated by the thinnest tract of the Irish sea should hardly have a bearing on the Green Card Lottery. If he was however, disputing N. Ireland's place in the United Kingdom, then the full name of the country -is- "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". The fact it is not part of the mainland England, Scotland and Wales share has no legal implication whatsoever that I can think of.

To be honest with you, I'm entirely clueless as to what his point was.

Manc Jul 13th 2005 2:05 am

The fact of the matter, is that whether NI is part of the UK or not is irrelevant.

since when has US immigration policy ever made sense? But then again, when has the UK's?

It the US ball here and they will play with it how they see fit. And for all the complaining of crookedness will get you nowhere.

Kaenei Jul 13th 2005 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Manc
The fact of the matter, is that whether NI is part of the UK or not is irrelevant.

since when has US immigration policy ever made sense? But then again, when has the UK's?

It the US ball here and they will play with it how they see fit. And for all the complaining of crookedness will get you nowhere.

There isn't actually a debate in that regard - NI -IS- Part of the UK, fact. That they are alllowed Green Card Lottery inclusion where I, as a Scot and Brit cannot, with what seems no more reason than a Senator's ancestory, seems "crooked".

The options for me are very, very limited - I don't have much "ball" to play with.

britchicknyc Jul 13th 2005 2:10 am

If you want to come here how about an exchange programme?

I did these through CIEE - and you can also get them through BUNAC. You usually need to be a UK student first though.

I had three j-1 visas. During this time I met my husband and got myself a K-1(fiancee) and now I have a green card.

Some spend a little time, and you never know who you might meet!!

These programmes will only cost you about 200 plus airfare. Can't do much better than that.

Manc Jul 13th 2005 2:11 am

with what seems no more reason than a Senator's ancestory, seems "crooked".

It doesn't seem crooked.

It is crooked.
But that's the way it is.

Kaenei Jul 13th 2005 2:12 am

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
If you want to come here how about an exchange programme?

I did these through CIEE - and you can also get them through BUNAC. You usually need to be a UK student first though.

I had three j-1 visas. During this time I met my husband and got myself a K-1(fiancee) and now I have a green card.

Some spend a little time, and you never know who you might meet!!

These programmes will only cost you about 200 plus airfare. Can't do much better than that.

I'm not familiar with CIEE or BUNAC, can you give me more information?

Manc Jul 13th 2005 2:18 am

I'm not familiar with CIEE or BUNAC, can you give me more information?

google is amazing.

www.bunac.org

Kaenei Jul 13th 2005 2:20 am

google is amazing.

www.bunac.org

Your sarcasm isn't -- Especially at 3.30am.

Manc Jul 13th 2005 2:21 am

aaaah but the night is young still

ImHere Jul 13th 2005 3:37 am

aaaah but the night is young still

Wish I still was :(

gruffbrown Jul 13th 2005 3:44 am

Originally Posted by ImHere
Wish I still was :(

where are you lurking?

ukemigrant Jul 13th 2005 11:29 am

I'm one of those frustrated teens; full of pie-in-the-sky ideas, without the ability to make any of them happen. Without boring you all with teary stories of how I can't join the excellent friends and such I've got in the US, mainly becuase I don't hold a degree, or any other chance of applying for family/etc visas, I've a question on the Green Card Lottery.

I see the United Kingdom isn't eligible, which I have no problem with, but why is N. Ireland, as part of the UK, eligible?

At first I thought this becuase each of the parts of the UK are counted individually for the 50,000 limit, but this can't be right as the entirety of UK Overseas territories are excluded, including those who couldn't hope to send a fraction of the 50,000 limit to the US in legal immigration. Since it must be the UK as a whole, why do the Northern Irish recieve preferential treatment over the Scottish, for example? [Which I am]

All these posts and no one realized the true answer - the "The Luck of the Irish". Come on it was obvious :).

Also not to be completely tongue-in-cheek I saw this:

Natives of which countries are excluded?
The list is the same as DV-2001 except that Pakistan has been added and Poland and Taiwan have been removed. Here is this year's list:
Canada
China - mainland China and Macau (nationals of Hong Kong and Taiwan ARE included)
Colombia
Dominican Republic
El Salvador
Haiti
India
Jamaica
Mexico
Pakistan
Philippines
South Korea
United Kingdom (natives of Northern Ireland and Hong Kong are eligible, but natives of Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Caymen Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibralter, Montserrat, Pitcairn, St. Helena, and the Turks and Caicos Islands are not eligible)
Vietnam

Why was my country excluded?
The DV lottery is designed to increase the diversity of the overall pool of immigrants coming to the US. Countries that are proportionately over-represented in the immigrant population are excluded. Countries that have sent more than 50,000 immigrants to the US in the past five years are put on to the list above.
at the link http://www.americangreencard.it/domande.html.

I've searched around and found no good reason for the exclusion so I have to agree on other speculation that it was politician family ties to the old country that got us our boon. I mean why Hong Kong also? Could that be because a lot of people trying to get out of Hong Kong before it was handed over were relatively wealthy?