Reload this Page >

Just graduated, what do I need to do now to live and work in the US

Just graduated, what do I need to do now to live and work in the US

Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Daniel Shirley is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Just graduated, what do I need to do now to live and work in the US

Hi,

I’m currently in my final year of university studying a BEng Aeronautical & Mechanical Engineering Degree.
I want to live and work in the US as soon as I graduate in September 2009, Can anyone share any information with me regarding visas, residency, find a job, generally living. I have being to the US four times now twice for several months and I will be returning this summer to work at a children’s camp. I do have connections in the US, my girlfriends family are US citizens if that helps in any way.

Any information would be a huge help.

Thank You for your Time,

Daniel Shirley
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:09 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just graduated, what do I need to do now to live and work in the US

Originally Posted by Daniel Shirley
Hi,

I’m currently in my final year of university studying a BEng Aeronautical & Mechanical Engineering Degree.
I want to live and work in the US as soon as I graduate in September 2009, Can anyone share any information with me regarding visas, residency, find a job, generally living. I have being to the US four times now twice for several months and I will be returning this summer to work at a children’s camp. I do have connections in the US, my girlfriends family are US citizens if that helps in any way.

Any information would be a huge help.

Thank You for your Time,

Daniel Shirley

Do a masters degree at a US university.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

How do i apply, online? how much will it cost as i have my student loan to pay back for my degree.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

How do i apply, online? how much will it cost as i have my student loan to pay back for my degree.
Contact the university. Likely it will be tens of thousands of dollars per year. Realistically your chances are slim to none right now, unless your girlfriend is a US citizen, you get married and she sponsors you.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:19 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Your girlfriend's family are US citizens? Are they her grandparents, parents or just cousins etc?
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

is there any alternatives to going to university or is that the easiest way?
my girlfriend is a US citizen and so is her entire family, but marriage isnt a road im willing to take yet.

any1 know of any job sies which could be useful?
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

is there any alternatives to going to university or is that the easiest way?
my girlfriend is a US citizen and so is her entire family, but marriage isnt a road im willing to take yet.

any1 know of any job sies which could be useful?
the chances of finding a job, especially as a grad with no experience, are incredibly slim at the best of times. In the current climate its next to impossible.

You cannot apply for a work visa, a company needs to sponsor you for a work visa (this is known as the H1B). They can only apply on the 1st April of each year for an October start date, and the visa is very very oversubscribed. They set a limit on the number they allow and its very small....so basically you'd need to find a company willing to go to the hassle and expense of sponsoring you bearing in mind that you couldnt start until oct and may or may not even get the visa in the first place. They would need to prove that a US citizen couldnt do the job, which for a recent grad would be very difficult.

Your best route would be to get a job with a company with offices in the UK and in the US, and see if they are willing to transfer you after you have been there a year. Thats what I did (although mine just happened to occur, I didnt join the firm with the intention of moving to NYC)...the visa for a company transfer is the L1. Its easier to justify, and there is no limit on the number each year. I know about 10 english people over here who are all around my age (26) and they all came over on the L1, I dont know anyone with an H1 visa.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the advice its much appreciated.

Can any recommed any companies for recent aeronautical & Mechanical engineers?
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:38 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I think an advanced degree is a good idea these days for anybody, whatever your field.

You could apply to a US institution for an advanced degree in your field, and, if accepted, defer it for a year; till August, 2010, let's say. Then work for a year in the UK to pay off as much of your loan as possible.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Can any1 recommend any universities which I will have more chance of admission. For an AAeronautical engineer, or are most university quite diverse?
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:58 pm
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

You will need a PhD or terminal degree to stand a chance. I don't think simply being an engineer is enough.

Best bet, like it or not, is to get her an expensive ring. You don't have to be married, just engaged, and you can apply for an 'E' visa.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Im thinking of applying for a master degree, engadement is an option but its not one i wanna take.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:04 pm
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

Can any1 recommend any universities which I will have more chance of admission. For an AAeronautical engineer, or are most university quite diverse?
To be enrolled for a graduate class you will need to pass the graduate equivalency test for which-ever university you apply to. Google will help with which schools you should apply to
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Umm, find a university that is good in your field, you feel comfortable going to and that has an acceptance policy that will allow you in. There are millions of universities in the US, you can't expect people to know admission rules and what they specialize in for them all, you have to do some work on your own!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

I Intend to

Thanks to every1 for ur help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.