Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just found out pregnant (yay) but need advice on US laws

Just found out pregnant (yay) but need advice on US laws

Old Oct 26th 2009, 6:08 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just found out pregnant (yay) but need advice on US laws

Congrats OP

'Buckers' indeed
Old Oct 26th 2009, 6:17 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix

A * They (if a boy) will have to register for military conscription when they turn 18. Of course there hasn't been a draft in nearly 40 years but he does have to fill out the form when he turns 18.

B On the plus side, he can legally run for President of the United States as a natural born American as a person has to be born in the US to run for President.
But you have to decide which one is likely to get him killed quicker - A or B !

Statistically it is B, so special forces is much safer
Old Oct 26th 2009, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

buckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to all

Thanks for all your help and advice everyone. We are covered really well under the insurance (thankfully). Will try and get some recommendations from hubbies work colleagues etc ref hospitals and doctors. Work wise, well that will either happen or not i guess. I am a telecoms Project manager with my last company being Cable and Wireless so hopefully all my experience and quals will at least get me a contract job just to build up that deposit even more on a house - i assume its like the UK where the bigger the deposit the better - especially in the current economic climate (although i may have made yet another mistake by assuming)

Anyway, thanks again. Alot to investigate, along with the move etc. Will get the move out of the way first, get my son back into school and my daughter in nursery aswell as getting a doctor etc

Heres to 5 days and counting - just cant wait now.

Thanks guys, you have really been so helpful over the last few months
Old Oct 26th 2009, 9:01 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

for lost of general info on pregnancy birth and kids (US based) I use this forum.
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/
Its subdivided into a million different categories but if you ask questions in the right one you can usually get helpful answers.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

If you get a permanent rather than contract job, especially for a large company, your company may well offer short-term disability insurance as part of your benefits package.

If I have a baby I get 6 months off at 70% of pay through short term disability.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 3:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
If you get a permanent rather than contract job, especially for a large company, your company may well offer short-term disability insurance as part of your benefits package.

If I have a baby I get 6 months off at 70% of pay through short term disability.
state dependant...down here, it wouldn't be considered a disability unless you had complications or a c-section.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

tokolosheman is an unknown quantity at this point

Considering that you can't start work until you have got your EAD, which will take approx 90 days from application, I'm guessing you won't be able to start work until approx mid March? By that time you'll be 4-5 months pregnant and won;t be able to hide it anyway!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

buckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tokolosheman
Considering that you can't start work until you have got your EAD, which will take approx 90 days from application, I'm guessing you won't be able to start work until approx mid March? By that time you'll be 4-5 months pregnant and won;t be able to hide it anyway!
Hi

Does an EAD usually take 3 months!!!! I assume i can apply 10 days after i have arrived in the US??? I can still go for interviews etc before i receive the EAD right? I just cant sign any paperwork until i receive it? Is that right?

Thanks for all your help and guidance.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buckers
Hi

Does an EAD usually take 3 months!!!! I assume i can apply 10 days after i have arrived in the US??? I can still go for interviews etc before i receive the EAD right? I just cant sign any paperwork until i receive it? Is that right?

It can be quicker for those coming over on L visa's, but it still generally takes around 90 days...and the applying after the 10 days things is so that your in the system when applying, though usually for a SSN, not sure if you can get that till you've gotten the EAD though.

Going for interviews is fine but still, be hard to hide the pregnancy.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Does an EAD usually take 3 months!
Well... 60-90 days, yes.

I assume i can apply 10 days after i have arrived in the US?
You can apply the day you enter the US with your L-2 visa.

I can still go for interviews etc before i receive the EAD right?
Right.

I just cant sign any paperwork until i receive it? Is that right?
Right!

Ian
Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:48 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Hope somone can help with a question i have. We have just had my hubbies L1 visa approved (yay) and will be flying over 31st Oct to start our new life with our 2 children. However i have just found out i am now pregnant and whilst we are over the moon with it, there are now some further worries and questions that i have as i am not familiar with the US law on pregnancy and work etc etc

I had every intention of looking for work as soon as i could when we got over there (after the receiving the SSN etc etc). We have rented a property for a year with the intention of buying property at the end of the rental agreement and my wage would have supported a nice deposit on the property. As i am early in the pregnancy, i would still like to start work even if its only a contract job (i am a telecoms project manager), just to help with getting our deposit to be a nice healthy sum. So my questions are this:

1. Do i need to declare to any potential employer that i am pregnant. Whilst i would never go into any employer with the intention to deceive i wouldnt want my pregnancy to be the one thing that would stop me from getting it.
2. Is an employer allowed to ask if i am pregnat or looking at adding to my family (in the UK they ask this anymore)

Any help would be really appreciated on this, its an unexpected suprise but i am so unsure about the whole process for pregnancy (although looking at that along with the insurance cover my hubbies company provide) and working etc.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this through. Cant wait to get over there next week.

Tracie
Have you thought about who is going to look after the baby when you return to work? My daughter went to nursery from 4 months old in the UK, however, I have never seen a nursery in my time in California and everyone I know who has babies or young children employs a nanny.

Congratulations on the pregnancy

Hi

Yes it can take 90 days, mine took around 70. I think it depends on how quickly your biometrics appointment comes up, after mine it was only around 10 days until I got approval.

I don't know of any law stopping you from going to interviews without the EAD, but what will you do when the employer asks if you have it? I don't think anyone would offer a job without you having approval.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

tokolosheman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I think the official word is 90 days, but I know some are done quicker - luck of the draw I guess.

My wife's EAD was processed just about bang on the 90 days.

I can't remember how soon we applied after we arrived, but it was around 10 days or so (so hectic when u first arrive) I don't know what the official take on this is though.

Coincidently my wife is pregnant and in her last month, I can say for sure - medical costs are pretty high but it has been, in our opinion, been worth it...you get treated better than the NHS for sure. Insurance covers 80% of medical costs, our costs are going to be around $2000 (for birth) and probably $400 for all the pre natal visits etc.

edit people have answered the first bit better than me but the final paragraph may be of interest.

Last edited by tokolosheman; Oct 28th 2009 at 7:54 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
... but what will you do when the employer asks if you have it?
An employer is allowed to ask only if you are legally allowed to work in the US. Still... hard to answer without the EAD, but in the current economy she'll likely have the EAD prior to any interviews.

Ian
Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:59 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tokolosheman
Hi

I knew I brought it up too early in the thread.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...9&postcount=14

You can apply for your EAD the day you arrive. L-2 EADs have been reported as *much* faster than the 90 days for an I-485 based one.
People recommend the postal filing vs the electronic, for fastest results.

You should probably wait the 10 days from arrival to apply for your Social Security numbers.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
state dependant...down here, it wouldn't be considered a disability unless you had complications or a c-section.
State funded disability is state dependent. Employer funded disability depends on your policy. The disability insurance company I work for pays out more for maternity than any other short term disability claims.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.