Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it just Dallas or...

Is it just Dallas or...

Old Sep 8th 2003, 9:11 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is it just Dallas or...

is it the same in your area?....what I mean is we have dry and wet zones here. In the city (well suburb) I live in, we have a dry area, meaning I have to drive 15 miles to purchase some beer and wine etc??? what was the thinking behind that

All the wino's are hanging out downtown anyways so its not like there going to commute 30 miles out to get their fix.

There ain't nothing worse than cracking up the barby Q, slinging on some steak, only to find zero cold ones in the fridge and then having to drive half way across america to buy some
Old Sep 8th 2003, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I have not heard of that here in AZ. But thats not to say it could be the case. Are you in a heavily populated school district or something?
Old Sep 8th 2003, 10:10 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pimpbot
I have not heard of that here in AZ. But thats not to say it could be the case. Are you in a heavily populated school district or something?
There are a few schools close to where I live, but the areas that are wet have just as many schools too.

Back in blighty, all you had to do was walk down to the local VG, even the post office/grocerie store, sold beer,wine and spirits etc.

The weird thing is also, because the public transport sucks and you have to wait over an hour for a taxi, can you imagine the amount of drunk drivers on the road on any given night? or the everyday worker having to drive out of there city limits and then swigging on a beer while driving back home! now you know why they all drive automatics in the U.S.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Not in Baltimore, there is a Bottlo atleast every 5-10 minutes apart. Must be a bunch of p#ss heads here.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

I would just like to say for the record that I have never been a drinker in my life. I've never even tasted a beer, but I'm am in full support of strict alcohol laws. Drunk driving is far to wide spread in the US as it is, and I'm glad that my county is trying to get off the bottle, as it were.

Last edited by Jabba1; Sep 9th 2003 at 8:01 am.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Tyler,TX (Smith County) it is also 'dry' in that you cannot buy booze in supermarkets etc. You CAN get a drink at any restaurant bar with this wonderful 'Unicard' thing.
However, the flip side of this is that, even in the middle class affluent areas of the UK, underage drinking is a REAL problem - these damn alcopops and 900 proof cider were available at every paper shop (surprised ToysRus didn't sell them!).
The net result was, every Saturday night, drunk kids on the street corners and beer bottles (and worse) over garden fences etc. (And I'm not talking inner city squalor either).
Personally I have to drive for 20 minutes to get to an out of county liquor store. It's a decision to do so, not a whim when you are buying bagels for the morning. In the liquor store you need over 21 ID, 15-21 year olds lose their license for ANY alcohol (or tobacco, for that matter).
Which is best? I know where my vote would go....
I enjoy a drink as much as the next guy, often drink too much, but.....
Old Sep 9th 2003, 1:22 pm
Never right in the head!

Originally posted by Jabba1
I would just like to say for the record that I have never been a drinker in my life. I've never even tasted a beer, but I'm am in full support of strict alcohol laws. Drunk driving is far to wide spread in the US as it is, and I'm glad that my county is trying to get off the bottle, as it were.

Never tasted beer? you don't know what your missing

I don't know why having dry zones will get your country off the bottle, it just means everyone has to drive to the beer store, then they drink as they drive back making twice as many piss heads on the road!

If my local Tom Thumb sold it, I wouldn't have to drive anywhere, as its walking distance....maybe if the local transport services could get its act together and provide taxis, maybe that could cut down the drink/driving offences.....just a thought
Old Sep 9th 2003, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yosser

I don't know why having dry zones will get your country off the bottle, it just means everyone has to drive to the beer store, then they drink as they drive back making twice as many piss heads on the road!
What, you need a drink THAT BAD that you drink it driving back from the liquor store!???
So, when you go to the store to buy a magazine or newspaper I guess you read that on the drive home too?? (Actually, strike that question, I've seen people do it!).
Old Sep 9th 2003, 5:46 pm
Never right in the head!

Originally posted by AndySmithers
What, you need a drink THAT BAD that you drink it driving back from the liquor store!???
So, when you go to the store to buy a magazine or newspaper I guess you read that on the drive home too?? (Actually, strike that question, I've seen people do it!).
No I didn't say I needed a drink that bad, but all the americans I have been with can hardley wait to get out of the store before cracking a beer open.

at xmas time all you see is highways full of drunk drivers so I guess "the dry zone" isn't working.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yosser
No I didn't say I needed a drink that bad, but all the americans I have been with can hardley wait to get out of the store before cracking a beer open.

at xmas time all you see is highways full of drunk drivers so I guess "the dry zone" isn't working.

Prohibition didn't work either. No dry zones in our part of Florida- you can get beer everywhere, and the kids know where they can purchase it too...most of them have to *drive* out of town to get it though Judging by the number of teenage driving accidents and fatalities involving drink- the law isn't effective either.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 7:59 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Taffyles
Prohibition didn't work either. No dry zones in our part of Florida- you can get beer everywhere, and the kids know where they can purchase it too...most of them have to *drive* out of town to get it though Judging by the number of teenage driving accidents and fatalities involving drink- the law isn't effective either.

The suburb of Chicago where I live was the headquarters of the Womens Christian Temperance Union. Even in 1983 it was still dry. Then they daringly allowed alcohol to be served with meals in a restaurant. Needless to say, the street that is the boundary with Chicago was a veritable all-night party. Now you can buy alcohol here, but no cold beer, only warm, on the theory that if it's warm you won't lie around on the pavement getting drunk outside the supermarket, or some such.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it just Dallas or...

Remember walking through Tesco or Sainsbury and having a whole isle or two crammed full of booze.

Here in maryland supermarkets aren't allowed to sell booze, and liquor stores are closed on Sundays, I really do find the whole alcohol thing a bit of a mystery at times, although on a boiling hot day its nice to take your time in the cold room where they keep the beer.

Rob
Old Sep 9th 2003, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

barnsy is an unknown quantity at this point

My aunt used to live in a "dry zone" just outside of Dallas, and she used to drive over the county line to buy booze. I'm sure she said it was illegal to have the booze in the car, it had to be in the boot (sorry trunk) must have been real difficult driving and drinking from there!!
Old Sep 9th 2003, 8:48 pm
Never right in the head!

Originally posted by barnsy
My aunt used to live in a "dry zone" just outside of Dallas, and she used to drive over the county line to buy booze. I'm sure she said it was illegal to have the booze in the car, it had to be in the boot (sorry trunk) must have been real difficult driving and drinking from there!!
I actually break open the beer box and put it on the back seat, that way I only have to reach over and take my eyes off the highway for no more than a few seconds...

Just kidding..

The booze store I go to has a full time sheriff sat inside, he doesn't give a toss where you put it, inside the boot or sat on your lap
Old Sep 10th 2003, 3:43 am
Sleep? What's that?

bubbadog has a spectacular aura aboutbubbadog has a spectacular aura aboutbubbadog has a spectacular aura about

That's very much a Bible Belt thing, Yosser. East Texas has a lot of areas like that...thus explaining why I live in South Texas!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.