Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just arrived for 2 years

Just arrived for 2 years

Old Dec 13th 2005, 9:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just arrived for 2 years

Originally Posted by allserene
ok I will leave you guys to it and unsubscribe from Brit expats after one day....... I can get this level of debate at any bar come midnight on a Saturday night - if brains were dynamite you would not have
You are an incalculably narcissistic harpy and a preposterous, small-minded ocular depravity to all of discrimination

Bye Alan ...

PS.. stop taking it all so seriously ...its only pixels....
Old Dec 13th 2005, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

ok I will leave you guys to it and unsubscribe from Brit expats after one day....... I can get this level of debate at any bar come midnight on a Saturday night - if brains were dynamite you would not have enough to blow your hat off. California is the cheese capital of the USA by the way - not Wisconsin - not that you folk would know - that would require literacy and you can't even get your arguments the right way round..go back to the 'US' indeed.

ok I will leave you to it - go pick on the next new boy in the school eh ?

But I am not going back to the UK - I am staying here to do my bit to change American society towards making you folk an even smaller minority.

alan
sweeping generalisation of those of us on here - and if you can't articulate your position well enough then feel free to resort to abuse and name calling. Not really sure how you can change American society to make British Expats a smaller minority, doesn't really make sense to me.

Good luck though!
Old Dec 13th 2005, 9:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

ok I will leave you guys to it and unsubscribe from Brit expats after one day....... I can get this level of debate at any bar come midnight on a Saturday night - if brains were dynamite you would not have enough to blow your hat off. California is the cheese capital of the USA by the way - not Wisconsin - not that you folk would know - that would require literacy and you can't even get your arguments the right way round..go back to the 'US' indeed.
Those numpty california cheese adverts are as annoying as those wisconsin cheese ad's we get here...and weird how don't see crisps with california cheese on them...and yeah, I know cali is another big cheese state...but they have arnie as a figure head rather than some moo
Old Dec 13th 2005, 10:54 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Was it something we said......
Old Dec 13th 2005, 10:57 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

California is the cheese capital of the USA by the way - not Wisconsin -

alan
I can lead a fuller life now, knowing that..
Old Dec 14th 2005, 12:10 pm
Banned

Nia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Sorry to butt in here, but it aggravates me when people say things like "if you don't like it, go home" and then follow it up with "if you can't learn to like it, you won't be happy".

You can't comment on the state of happiness of someone else's life. Equally, you can't comment on whether or not lack of a certain preferred foodstuff is reason enough for someone else to move back to the UK.

I don't like the bacon here. I also don't like the sausages. I don't like the way that dairy produce tastes of nothing whatsoever just so it can last 6 months in your refrigerator. I don't like the unavailability of simple baking products which appear to have been removed from supermarket shelves in order to make room for 67 varieties of sugar-free sugar and 150 types of "just add eggs and water" muffin mixes. I don't like the lack of decent pate. I don't like the lack of decent quiche. I don't like the lack of fresh cream cakes.

This is not reason enough for me to uproot myself and my family and move back to the UK. It is also not something about which I sit and cry on a daily basis. It doesn't impinge that greatly on my life and it doesn't make my little bunny self any more or less happy with my life in general.

Given the opportunity, however, I will moan about it on a US lifestyle forum on the internet. And eat lots of pate, sausages and bacon on every visit to the UK.

Hippity bleeding hoppity.
My sentiments exactly!
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 4:35 am
Just Joined

n1co1ae is a jewel in the roughn1co1ae is a jewel in the roughn1co1ae is a jewel in the roughn1co1ae is a jewel in the roughn1co1ae is a jewel in the rough

hello. i was wondering if i was the only one in this town. ! i've heard about a couple of these places, but i'm way on the south side of denver and to get anywhere i've got to go up 25. almost not worth the pain to get somewhere and find a couple stale packets of biscuits or something so i've not made the effort yet. i'm really hurting for a doner kebab! (these gyro things at the mall not included) anyone have a clue on that one? and a pub within walking distance wouldn't be bad either. i'll drive a good way for a doner though.!

Originally Posted by foxychickchick
Hi arrived in Denver, CO on 21st November for 2 years with my husbands job and just starting to miss cetain stuff now this website just be the thing that keeps me sane....

Can anyone recommend the best place to buy international food (in particular good ole english stuff) a few people have recommended "Whole Foods" i think it was but have yet to visit...

Thanks
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 4:43 am
Just Joined

n1co1ae is a jewel in the roughn1co1ae is a jewel in the roughn1co1ae is a jewel in the roughn1co1ae is a jewel in the roughn1co1ae is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by n1co1ae
hello. i was wondering if i was the only one in this town. ! i've heard about a couple of these places, but i'm way on the south side of denver and to get anywhere i've got to go up 25. almost not worth the pain to get somewhere and find a couple stale packets of biscuits or something so i've not made the effort yet. i'm really hurting for a doner kebab! (these gyro things at the mall not included) anyone have a clue on that one? and a pub within walking distance wouldn't be bad either. i'll drive a good way for a doner though.!

replying to myself.::... sorry, didn't read the whole thread and didn't know what i was coming into on that last part of the "conversation". can't beat a kraft single is all i'd like to add. happy monday.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 4:49 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by n1co1ae
replying to myself.::... sorry, didn't read the whole thread and didn't know what i was coming into on that last part of the "conversation". can't beat a kraft single is all i'd like to add. happy monday.
n1co1ae .. start a new thread ..and introduce yourself.... carefully ...
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
n1co1ae .. start a new thread ..and introduce yourself.... carefully ...

Ray you're being kind.......... whats up with you
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 2:48 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

I get some of my stuff from British Delights, they are on a par price wise with other companies and offer a real good service. Their stuff is shipped well I would recommend them.

Don't be fooled by Cadbury's - it's made here under license by Hershey, who, in my opinion, couldn't make a decent bar of choc if their life depended on it lololol Sometimes you are lucky enough to find a store that has bars that say "made in England" on them.

Like a lot of other ex pats you will find its the little things you miss, decent bread, cheese, proper baked beans, sausages and squash to name a few. I didn't realise how much I missed Robinsons Barley water until the summer when all there was around here was sodas, ice tea and overly sweet juices.

As time goes by you will be looking for substitutes and can always make requests on here. No matter how stupid it may sound, someone will be able to help.

I am a Ready Brek addict and now thanks to Amerlisa I can enjoyed Ready Brek year round and not pay out the whazoo for it.