Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Junior Proms, No wonder I can't fit in!

Junior Proms, No wonder I can't fit in!

Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:17 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Junior Proms, No wonder I can't fit in!

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Yup, but I still say it is licence to be a hoochie mama

What on earth is a 'hoochie mama'?
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Junior Proms, No wonder I can't fit in!

Originally Posted by Englishmum
What on earth is a 'hoochie mama'?
TART
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=willmore]I'm sure it is difficult, but there is nothing wrong with a child being an "individual" and not following the crowd to keep up with the jones'!

Yes I agree about individuality, but I think that a child living in a foreign country will try to blend in as much as possible with their fellow classmates. Not doing so is quite often a recipe for disaster.

You will see in my previous posts that we did not give into all this 'keeping up with the Jones' as you put it, and our daughter never asked us to.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:23 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Yup, but I still say it is licence to be a hoochie mama
Well, it certainly is licence to get dressed to the nines. Hopefully a good Catholic girl will not wear a hoochie mama dress to church though I guess she could change into one for the dance part.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

[QUOTE=Jerseygirl]
Originally Posted by willmore
I'm sure it is difficult, but there is nothing wrong with a child being an "individual" and not following the crowd to keep up with the jones'!

Yes I agree about individuality, but I think that a child living in a foreign country will try to blend in as much as possible with their fellow classmates. Not doing so is quite often a recipe for disaster.

You will see in my previous posts that we did not give into all this 'keeping up with the Jones' as you put it, and our daughter never asked us to.

Hon - I wasnt critizing your parenting skills, I was just making a comment.

I relish in the knowledge that my kids are different from other kids, with different values, different life style (the same way I was brought up) and jim and I try to make them strong and proud of their individuality!
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

EM, sure you've seen them.

250 lbs of pure fat, wearing a tight spandex mini, red thong, tiny top, folds of fat over the skirt, and a massive eagle tattooed on their lower back.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Well, it certainly is licence to get dressed to the nines. Hopefully a good Catholic girl will not wear a hoochie mama dress to church though I guess she could change into one for the dance part.
Catholic girls are allowed to dance. Man have things changed since I went to school!
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Catholic girls are allowed to dance. Man have things changed since I went to school!
ROFLMAO!!
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=willmore]
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

I relish in the knowledge that my kids are different from other kids, with different values, different life style (the same way I was brought up) and jim and I try to make them strong and proud of their individuality!

No its OK I didn't take it as a criticism, I just wanted to point out that like you we have different values/life style from our daughter's friends and that's what she's been brought up with. That's the reason she never asks for or expects any of these over the top indulgences.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=Jerseygirl]

No its OK I didn't take it as a criticism, I just wanted to point out that like you we have different values/life style from our daughter's friends and that's what she's been brought up with. That's the reason she never asks for or expects any of these over the top indulgences.
She sounds like a wonderful young lady who will grow up with good morals and values!
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

[QUOTE=willmore]

She sounds like a wonderful young lady who will grow up with good morals and values!
Thank you, I always keep reminding her that we are Brits and we do things differently sometimes, well nearly all the time.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=willmore]

One of the biggest shocks I had when I first moved to the US was just how much children take for granted/expect from their parents.

I didn't have any party when I hit 16, nor when I got to 18 ... although I did get £100 for my 18th birthday, certainly not enough for a car, but a lot more than I usually got. Left school at 16 and got a job ... if I wanted to study further it was up to me to pay for it and go to night school. My Dad was of the school of thought that if everything was given to you on a plate you would never learn the value of money ... I learnt so much from him and loved him to bits!

Now it seems that parents are measured by how much they give their children. I've seen it in the UK, but it's far worse here where most children seem to think it is their absolute right to have a car bought for them at 16 years old and then have their parents fund their behinds for the next 6 to 8 years while they get an education .. it doesn't even seem to enter their thoughts as to how everything gets paid for.

Regardless, at the end of the day, it's the parents who allow this happen ... and from what I've seen the children don't truly appreciate what they have ... which goes back to how my Dad saw things, 'If you don't work for it, you won't appreciate it!'
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

[QUOTE=willmore]

Actually I have just noticed you're from Canada. Are you a Brit or Canadian?
My daughter goes to U of T and we have found the Canadians to be much more like the Brits than the Americans. When she first moved into residence 3 yrs ago she said you could tell the Americans from the Canadian students 'cos all the US kids had everything in their rooms new and co-ordinated, the Canadians were more like the Brits and brought what ever was available from home.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

We went to a wedding a few years ago at that hotel by Central Park starting with a P. All the women were dressed in black, you'd have thought it was a funeral apart from all the sequins. It was an extremely elaborate affair costing well just let me say many, many times the figure above.
Plaza.
Frank R.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by frrussre
Plaza.
Frank R.
That's not fair you are a New Yorker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.