Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Judge Rejects School Board Evolution Stand

Judge Rejects School Board Evolution Stand

Old Jan 14th 2005, 5:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Judge Rejects School Board Evolution Stand

"...A U.S. judge on Thursday ordered a Georgia school district to remove stickers challenging the theory of evolution from its textbooks on the grounds that they violated the U.S. Constitution....."

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...ddlyEnoughNews

Anyone know of other weird things local school districts get up to?
Old Jan 14th 2005, 5:38 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Judge Rejects School Board Evolution Stand

Originally Posted by Bob
"...A U.S. judge on Thursday ordered a Georgia school district to remove stickers challenging the theory of evolution from its textbooks on the grounds that they violated the U.S. Constitution....."

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...ddlyEnoughNews

Anyone know of other weird things local school districts get up to?
they tried to get around it by calling it intelligent design or something like that.

It's just stupid. allow the schools to teach broad based Religious Education and have done with it.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 6:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
It's just stupid. allow the schools to teach broad based Religious Education and have done with it.
That's the problem, they don't though do they....
Old Jan 15th 2005, 1:16 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Manc
they tried to get around it by calling it intelligent design or something like that.

intelligent design is a counter theory to evolution which essentially is:

'Its all really complicated so it couldnt possibly have been created without a guiding hand from some super intelligent external agent.'

Its balls. This is a backdoor approach to pushing biblical literalism down the minds of children. Thank god for the Federal bench(irony) just shame the federalist society and Bushco/Chimpoleon are busying trying to gut it in favor of religous hacks in robes.

Last edited by Duncs; Jan 15th 2005 at 1:23 am.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 12:33 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

It's about time that the U.S. Constitution was put to good use.

I watched a show on all this BS and it infuriated me. They wanted balance in the schools yet wanted to confuse young minds by implying that the evidence of evolution is "not a fact."

So where are the stickers in the bible??

CAUTION: This textbook contains material on creationism, god and the word of a man called christ. Creationism, god and the word of christ is hearsay, not a fact, regarding the origin of living things and the events discussed herein. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully and critically considered. Due to the graphic nature of the atrocities out lined, parental guidance is advised.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 12:40 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind

I watched a show on all this BS and it infuriated me. They wanted balance in the schools yet wanted to confuse young minds by implying that the evidence of evolution is "not a fact."

CAUTION: This textbook contains material on creationism, god and the word of a man called christ. Creationism, god and the word of christ is hearsay, not a fact, regarding the origin of living things and the events discussed herein. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully and critically considered. Due to the graphic nature of the atrocities out lined, parental guidance is advised.
WOW that's a great idea!! i'm not even reading the article , it's just plain loopy thank god my kids have an athiest like me to set them straight!

just to clarify i do not push my views on my children but am letting them attend religious function at boy scouts even churches, they'll eventually make up their own minds as to what they believe.....but isn't that the sad irony? seems to me the atheists are more forgiving and open minded than the actual zelots who tell you you're going to Hell if you don't do it their way....

it's a World gone Maaaaaad!!

Last edited by Celtic_Angel; Jan 16th 2005 at 12:44 am.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 12:44 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
WOW that's a great idea!! i'm not even reading the article , it's just plain loopy thank god my kids have an athiest like me to set them straight!
But don't forget to teach them the ways of the heathens that are spiritually enlightened else you would be a bigot
Old Jan 16th 2005, 12:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Love it
Old Jan 16th 2005, 1:07 am
Franklin

... They wanted balance in the schools yet wanted to confuse young minds by implying that the evidence of evolution is "not a fact."
Please consider this question on the level of a pub discussion/argument after a few ... what do you understand by the term "evolution".

Let's see if you can, after a few beers, jerry out something that makes good sense! I am on alcohol free ice-t, but will box fair and square.

Old Jan 16th 2005, 1:21 am
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
Please consider this question on the level of a pub discussion/argument after a few ... what do you understand by the term "evolution".
Not wanting to be drawn into a pointless religious debate, evolution to me is the adaptive nature of organisms which change to suit their surroundings and the fact that spontaneous procreation is impossible. Living organisms come from other living organisms and these change/mutate/evolve over time.

Millions of years from now, life forms on this planet will be very different from what it is now and what it was before.

I'll have a Jack and Coke and packet of crisps please

Last edited by rincewind; Jan 16th 2005 at 1:24 am.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 1:26 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... to confuse young minds by implying that the evidence of evolution is "not a fact.".....
Unfortunately the clowns that object to the teaching of evolution completely misunderstand basic scientific terminology - most scientific ideas are labelled a "theory", and subject to potential (scientific) counter argument, but that does not alter their status as established facts - e.g. atomic/ molecular theory, Einstein's theory of relativity, etc.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 1:33 am
Franklin

Not wanting to be drawn into a pointless religious debate, evolution to me is the adaptive nature of organisms which change to suit their surroundings and the fact that spontaneous procreation is impossible. Living organisms come from other living organisms and these change/mutate/evolve over time.

Millions of years from now, life forms on this planet will be very different from what it is now and what it was before.

I'll have a Jack and Coke and packet of crisps please
Here's your Jack and Coke and packet of crisps ... salt 'n vinegar do?

What laws dictate "the adaptive nature of organisms"? Will they "be very different from what is now and what it was before"?

Old Jan 16th 2005, 1:56 am
You Are All Diseased

Here's your Jack and Coke and packet of crisps ... salt 'n vinegar do?
My favorite
What laws dictate "the adaptive nature of organisms"? Will they "be very different from what is now and what it was before"?
The environmental surroundings are the laws. Should an environmental change occur, organisms adapt to the new habitat, therefore, "evolving" into a new species. An old example, but in Kenya, the common giraffe and the reticulated giraffe originated from the same species. Generations of separation by the Tana River, caused the two groups to become a seperate species.

And if I understand your second question correctly (will the laws be very different from what is now and what it was before), history shows that certain natural disasters can cause environmental changes and evolution has occurred from such. It is possible that a dramatic natural disaster in the future could cause another evolutionary shift.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 2:01 am
You Are All Diseased

I'm off to watch The Village, I'll follow up on this in the morning in between work.

Night all.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Its as bad as the schools wanting to teach abstinence.....

You really have to be careful of what is being said or taught to your kids.....

And love the stickers in the bible bit...will have to tell hubby, he'll love it as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.