Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

John Cunningham - in ICE custody

John Cunningham - in ICE custody

Old Jun 21st 2017, 1:24 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default John Cunningham - in ICE custody

I don't understand why this is a problem; other than to highlight the complete lack of enforcement for decades against people who overstay.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...xGN/story.html

They came for John Cunningham on a sunny evening last week, showing up at his house in Brighton like early dinner guests.

They were federal immigration agents, and they were there to throw John Cunningham out of the country he has called home for 18 years.

John Cunningham, 38, has an electrical contracting business. He has paid taxes. He has done much to improve the lives of those around him.

But what he does not have is a green card, and so the federal agents brought him to the jail in South Bay and put him in a cell with the rest of the common criminals. Because in Donald Trump’s America, that’s what John Cunningham is, a common criminal.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 21st 2017 at 1:30 pm. Reason: Copyright infringement
Old Jun 21st 2017, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: John Cunningham - in ICE custody

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I don't understand why this is a problem; other than to highlight the complete lack of enforcement for decades against people who overstay.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...xGN/story.html
I love the emphasis.. it was a sunny evening and he was put in a cell with the rest of the common criminals.

Like most of us here, we waited, we went through all the hoops, we paid our hard earned money he didn't!
Old Jun 21st 2017, 2:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If they go after a relatively few high profile targets then others will start to self-deport.

The irony is that John Cunningham certainly has enough money to support an E-2, and quite possibly enough to splurge on an EB-5.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 21st 2017 at 2:24 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 2:33 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If they go after a relatively few high profile targets then others will start to self-deport.

The irony is that John Cunningham certainly has enough money to support an E-2, and quite possibly enough to splurge on an EB-5.
That 10 year ban is gonna slightly reduce his chances on that score though to be fair.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 2:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That 10 year ban is gonna slightly reduce his chances on that score though to be fair.
Well he should have thought of that before! .... That's the irony.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 21st 2017 at 2:45 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 2:42 pm
Banned

I have no sympathy for him. I'm staggered that the US has allowed him - and countless others - to remain for so long.

Why he would choose here - without any ability to be lawfully employed - in Boston when he has the entire European Union (including the UK even when they exit given he's an Irish citizen) to live in is beyond me.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 2:47 pm

I have no sympathy for him. ....
That seems to contradict the first eight words of post #1.

Or did you lose all your sympathy for him in the intervening 18 minutes?
Old Jun 21st 2017, 2:49 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That seems to contradict the first eight words of post #1.
I said I don't see why this [ICE arresting a VWP overstayer] is a problem. I'm just disappointed they haven't targeted more of them.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

I personally have sympathy for people in this situation. I do 'like' (for lack of a better word) that they are also targeting people like him though.

Last edited by fbf2006; Jun 21st 2017 at 4:24 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 3:15 pm
Banned

Seems as if there is more to this story than a simple overstay arrest:

Irish man detained for deportation from US wanted over $1,300 'cheque theft' - Independent.ie

Independent.ie has learned that there is an outstanding warrant for John Cunningham (38) in Massachusetts after he allegedly took a cheque for $1,300 (€1,170) from a man to carry out electrical work at a home in March 2014.
The victim Christopher Waltham claimed that he never saw or heard from the Donegal native again and he filed a police report in May of that year.

A spokesperson for West Roxbury District Court confirmed that Mr Cunningham was ordered to appear in court on October 16, 2014 but he failed to show.
So he's alleged to have committed a CIMT. Not looking good for him is it.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 3:41 pm

Seems as if there is more to this story than a simple overstay arrest:

Irish man detained for deportation from US wanted over $1,300 'cheque theft' - Independent.ie ....
So he's an iffy Irishman in the construction trades. Nobody expected that!
Old Jun 21st 2017, 3:42 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Like most of us here, we waited, we went through all the hoops, we paid our hard earned money he didn't!
I have none of this schadenfreude, I have none of this resentment that others chose a different path to mine. I went legal as I was not prepared to risk the potential consequences. I have no bone to pick with others that took the risk, but I dont want to hear them moan when those consequences come to fruit. I do have sympathy for him, but I dont want to hear him cry about it, and in fairness the tears seem to be from the author not the protagonist.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 3:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Well, I agree with you on the first few points, but 'hard earned' is overstated. I don't feel I work especially hard for my income, which is why I dislike that phrase so much.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I have none of this schadenfreude, I have none of this resentment that others chose a different path to mine. I went legal as I was not prepared to risk the potential consequences. I have no bone to pick with others that took the risk, but I dont want to hear them moan when those consequences come to fruit. I do have sympathy for him, but I dont want to hear him cry about it, and in fairness the tears seem to be from the author not the protagonist.
No schadenfreude (pleasure derived from the misfortune of others) on my part, so I'm not sure why you quoted me.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

sarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond repute

I have no sympathy for him. I'm staggered that the US has allowed him - and countless others - to remain for so long.

Why he would choose here - without any ability to be lawfully employed - in Boston when he has the entire European Union (including the UK even when they exit given he's an Irish citizen) to live in is beyond me.

Totally agree it took us 2.5 years to get to the USA and a sizeable chunk of our savings paying for visas, medicals etc. I have zero sympathy for John Cunningham he should have gone through the proper channels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.