Reload this Page >

jobs in the usa

jobs in the usa

Old Aug 12th 2012, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

into_thewild is an unknown quantity at this point
Default jobs in the usa

Hello all,
I have another question about jobs in America. If anyone could help I'd be very thankful.
It looks like my job may be over, what with the massive cut backs. I currently live in the UK but I'm thinking of taking off across the pond and trying things there. I have dual nationality so visas etc won't be a problem.
I have worked in the media (local newspaper) for about four years. Ill work anywhere when I get over there though.
Can anyone offer me advice on boosting my employment chances when I go?
Thanks!
Old Aug 12th 2012, 5:27 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: jobs in the usa

What are your educational qualifications?

How old are you?

Do you have family here who could help you out?

Where in the US would you intend to move?

Google 'best jobs US 2012' for a very generic answer; but it won't help much without answers to the above.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

I'm 26 and I have a BA in journalism. And yes I have family in the states.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

iI would move to the easy coast. New Hampshire
Old Aug 12th 2012, 5:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

NH has a right shit slump in the job market....but also less competitive so you might have some luck.

Boston would be a more hopping media spot, but also because of that, much more competitive.

All depends on what your experiences have been with, anything recognisable?

Best get on LinkedIn and work your connections, especially any uni alumni that might be over here.

Good luck though.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

I have done a lot of freelance work for nationals and magazines so I have a pretty decent cuttings file. I will work anywhere to get me started though. I have started creating a linkedin, I totally forgot about that!
Old Aug 12th 2012, 7:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

As an aside I was in the local supermarket yesterday, our local rag is the Denver Post which seems to be going downhill fast, they had a sign up saying they were only stocking it Sunday's from now on.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 9:03 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
As an aside I was in the local supermarket yesterday, our local rag is the Denver Post which seems to be going downhill fast, they had a sign up saying they were only stocking it Sunday's from now on.

There are rumors circulating here that the biggest newspaper in the State, The Oregonian, is looking to cease daily publication. Being blamed on lack of advertising for printed media, with the idea to publish perhaps three days a week.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 9:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
There are rumors circulating here that the biggest newspaper in the State, The Oregonian, is looking to cease daily publication. Being blamed on lack of advertising for printed media, with the idea to publish perhaps three days a week.
Aye, the papers are pretty dead for media people....but, the junk mail business is rocking and a couple of the largest junk mailers are based in Boston...well Waltham and Burlington, but whatever :/

Also fair bit of work in other media sectors, Nike/Addidas/Puma/Converse/Reebok/New Balance, they all have design and media studios just north of Boston.

Timberlands is based in NH, great company to work for and they might have something.

Quite a few decent breweries in NH that might be worth a look for social media advertising, with other half decent sized ones in Vermont and Maine, all within spitting distance of each other.

Probably all boils down to what kind of media work the OP is looking for and if interested in thinking out of the box, there's plenty of technical media work going in Boston/Lincoln/Bedford/Burlington, bonus points for being a USC, as there's a massive government based tech company in Burlington which on the side do tech manuals for military hardware like rocket launchers, but do need security clearance for that gig.

Then there are a lot of book publishers and a few that are looking for media experienced folks to edit digital books for Kindle/Nook, but most of that work gets contracted out, so a case of who you know to get you a foot in the door for that.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I did buy a Denver Post a few Sunday's ago, first thing I did was remove the crap, more than half by weight.

They could still send out all that stuff I guess, just not the wrapper...
Old Aug 13th 2012, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Winters are terrible but if you are willing to work outside of journalism I would look in ND & SD.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the replies. It will be tough but I am determined. It will take a lot of hustle. Anyone here done anything similar to what I'm doing I wonder?
Old Aug 13th 2012, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I am currently in Nashua, NH. I don't know where your family are but if you're set on NH, then look to live close to the MA border so you have easy access to Boston. Boston is going to give you a FAR higher chance of getting a well paid job. Firms are concentrated either within the city or within the 95/128 corridor.

As a writer, I don't know what your chances are of getting a journalistic job. I just have no clue. But I am in the creative field myself and I know there are writing jobs that pop up quite often. Check out:

http://www.commarts.com/

Get yourself listed on there. I haven't been on there for about 5 years but still get companies write to me here and there. Also look through the jobs on there for the Boston area and see what's what.

Monster.com is huge for jobs. But you might try looking for positions on Monster and trying to figure out what the company is and where then apply direct. I often think that Monster applications get lost in the shuffle. Also look on www. boston.com for lots of info and local jobs.

The good thing about being a Brit looking for work here is that you're out of the norm. Especially in the creative/writing fields... not 'normal' is a good thing. Also play up your knowledge of the european marketplace as the BIG business here is healthcare and life sciences and many firms either already area heavily committed to the Euro market or want to be. Your knowledge of the market including writing styles especially will be key.

Good luck with your job hunt!
Old Aug 13th 2012, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info!
My aunt seems to think that being a Brit might be an advantage in some ways too, like the accent. Of course I'm from Glasgow, so they may have trouble understanding me :P so what is you do in the creative field MrMuffin, if I can ask?
Old Aug 13th 2012, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Freelance photographer, art director and graphic designer

They'll melt with the Scottish accent. Trust me. Huge advantage. Just remember to speak slowly and if you see a vacant look, you need to check to make sure they understood what you just said. All the best to you and shoot me a PM if you do land in NH and we'll have a pint. Cheers, M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.