Jobs in USA

Old Oct 18th 2011, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

into_thewild is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jobs in USA

Hello all,
At the time of writing this I am on holiday in the USA, about to depart for bed.
Since I am seeing family this week, I was thinking next week I could scope out the employment situation. I'm a dual national so I don't need a visa or anything.
Currently I am a journalist working for a local newspaper in the UK. It is my ambition to move to America however. Can anyone give me any tips while I'm here on looking for jobs?
Thanks
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs in USA

Originally Posted by Windolow
Hello all,
At the time of writing this I am on holiday in the USA, about to depart for bed.
Since I am seeing family this week, I was thinking next week I could scope out the employment situation. I'm a dual national so I don't need a visa or anything.
Currently I am a journalist working for a local newspaper in the UK. It is my ambition to move to America however. Can anyone give me any tips while I'm here on looking for jobs?
Thanks
Make sure your resume is in a US-type format, I've heard it can be different from a UK-type format.

Rene
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:12 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

The employment situation varies from state to state. It might help if you gave some idea of your intended location.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
The employment situation varies from state to state. It might help if you gave some idea of your intended location.
New Hampshire
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

For journo's, pretty rough from my understanding....saying that, if you've decent experience you might have luck but it'll depend on location.

Seems a few jobs in Boston, but then again tends to be far more competitive than some podonk nowhereville.

So probably not all that different from the UK there then.

All about networking anyway tbh.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:26 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

New Hampshire isn't really the media hotbed of America, and on top of that pretty much every media source in the US is laying off right now. There are dozens of kids who grew up in New Hampshire, trained as reporters in various papers there and in Boston, have connections, college friends, sources, etc. who are basically working as a barista in Starbucks right now.

You will need to start networking with Linkedin and other social media sites, trying to get connected to media players in the area. ("It's who you know, but you don't have to know them that well"). Find out about leads before they go public, or get someone to put your resume (not a CV) on the top of the pile. Also look at journalism job sites like Mediabistro.com

You might also look at expanding your range. Journalism might extend into public relations for a major company, or a press liaison for some organization. Boston is probably the closest big city for more jobs of those sorts, but you might get lucky and find some in smaller areas.

It's not going to be easy, but it's not impossible.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

New Hampshire
Ouch.

Job situation in NH is shit...lot of folks commuting to Boston for jobs.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by penguinsix

You might also look at expanding your range. Journalism might extend into public relations for a major company, or a press liaison for some organization. Boston is probably the closest big city for more jobs of those sorts, but you might get lucky and find some in smaller areas.
Lot of massive tech companies such as Bose, Boston Scientific, Mathworks, Cognex and stuff like Staples and TJMaxx are based in the burbs of Boston in Natick/Framingham and they have large PR and press liaison type positions, so yeah, not a bad idea.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Cool Re: Jobs in USA

I would have no problems commuting to Boston.
I will join linkedin and try to connect with journos/editors across the US.
I plan to get back the US more (maybe three or four times a year) so there would be more windows for interviews.
I would have no qualms going in to PR work, even technical writing would be fine with me.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I would have no problems commuting to Boston.
You say that now...but it is a massive ball ache in the winter and a horrid drive down I-95/93 and the tolls get pretty pricey in NH on a daily basis.

Not much parking in the commuter stops on the fringe either such as at Newburyport and it takes forever getting downtown as well, not to mention also really pricey on tickets, but probably less stress than driving down town and about the same money, unless you find a place with decent parking that isn't $25-45 a day.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I would have no qualms going in to PR work, even technical writing would be fine with me.
When you are writing applications/resumes, etc., don't forget that spelling and punctuation are different in the US. Doesn't look good if a journalist uses incorrect punctuation! (And many folks here are oblivious to the fact that other countries use different styles, so they'll just think you are wrong!)