Reload this Page >

Job transfer - Info and questions

Job transfer - Info and questions

Old May 6th 2014, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

hypascend is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job transfer - Info and questions

Thanks.

They have been searching for over a year for someone and they asked of I would be interested in transferring. Whilst we are interested there is no urgency or desperation. This has been discussed for 5 months now and I am really questioning everything, it is going slow but we will get there.

Last edited by hypascend; May 6th 2014 at 10:53 pm.
Old May 7th 2014, 2:50 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hypascend
Hi Hotscot,

The L1 visa is not really a concern. It is more the EB1 green card I am interested in. The reasons so far are that they believe USCIS is being strict on functional manager cases.
I think that's complete bollocks myself.

1. My L-1A was approved in around 5 days and I wasn't even a manager at the time of my transfer. I became a manager when I transferred.

2. Given you work for a large bank, I cannot believe they don't already have an L-1A blanket petition already in place with USCIS, allowing you to just apply directly to the Consulate for your L-1A visa.
Old May 7th 2014, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hungryhorace

1. My L-1A was approved in around 5 days and I wasn't even a manager at the time of my transfer. I became a manager when I transferred.

2. Given you work for a large bank, I cannot believe they don't already have an L-1A blanket petition already in place with USCIS, allowing you to just apply directly to the Consulate for your L-1A visa.
I completely agree Hungryhorace, it is complete bs. Yes they do have blankets in place, they are just being conservative(read lazy).

However as I say the L-1A is not my concern it would be the EB-1C that I would be after and I just think they would screw it all up considering how little they seem to want to put forward for the functional manager.
Old May 7th 2014, 3:06 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

I completely agree Hungryhorace, it is complete bs. Yes they do have blankets in place, they are just being conservative(read lazy).

However as I say the L-1A is not my concern it would be the EB-1C that I would be after and I just think they would screw it all up considering how little they seem to want to put forward for the functional manager.
Like you say, that's the bigger picture concern, as you don't want to get out here then not be able to adjust status to LPR, or have it buggered up for you by your company.

When I relocated here, I relocated on an L-1A, though didn't bother negotiating a GC application further down the line as I knew I would only stay here if I married my (USC) wife - which I did, and successfully adjusted status via marriage to a USC. You don't have that 'luxury', so as you note, extremely important you have faith that this will be handled for you.

As another aside, I've known a few other friends who have transferred here on H1-B visa's and it took them around 7 years before their company finally managed to obtain them permanent residency! I couldn't live in such a temporary status for that long (I couldn't even manage a year!) and I'm sure you wouldn't wish to either.
Old May 7th 2014, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

MCDesi is an unknown quantity at this point

Was it because you were taking up a role as a Manager on moving the US that you qualified for an L1A? I am going from being a Manager in the UK to an Individual Contributor (Project Manager) and attorney is telling me I have to apply for L1B. I'd prefer L1A for GC reasons.
Old May 7th 2014, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

Absolutely, I am not overly happy having the Labor process in the mix for the EB-2 category, but I have little choice. Initial thoughts are 18-24 months providing no issues. So providing the repatriation is good enough the worst that can happen is we have to come home.

Originally Posted by MCDesi
Was it because you were taking up a role as a Manager on moving the US that you qualified for an L1A? I am going from being a Manager in the UK to an Individual Contributor (Project Manager) and attorney is telling me I have to apply for L1B. I'd prefer L1A for GC reasons.
L-1A requires you to be a manager in the US, whereas EB-1C requires you to be a manager/exec in the UK for a year and then doing a managerial/exec job in the US. However as a PM you might qualify for L-1A, but like me you are at the mercy of the attorneys, who IMHO are lazy and greedy.
Old May 7th 2014, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Absolutely, I am not overly happy having the Labor process in the mix for the EB-2 category, but I have little choice. Initial thoughts are 18-24 months providing no issues. So providing the repatriation is good enough the worst that can happen is we have to come home.

L-1A requires you to be a manager in the US, whereas EB-1C requires you to be a manager/exec in the UK for a year and then doing a managerial/exec job in the US. However as a PM you might qualify for L-1A, but like me you are at the mercy of the attorneys, who IMHO are lazy and greedy.
Thanks - I'll try and persuade them if I can. Do you know if the L1A failed and they then applied for an L1B instead do they pay twice or would they just reject the L1A and issue the L1B instead if that was the appropriate classification?
Old May 7th 2014, 4:01 pm
Banned

I moved from an individual contributor in the UK to a Manager in the US, correct. That allowed USCIS to approve my L-1A.

Frankly, I'm *amazed* they're trying to push you down the L-1B route when a Project Manager could easily be considered a managerial function.
Old May 7th 2014, 4:02 pm
Banned

Thanks - I'll try and persuade them if I can. Do you know if the L1A failed and they then applied for an L1B instead do they pay twice or would they just reject the L1A and issue the L1B instead if that was the appropriate classification?
The Consulate can't issue an L-1B when an L-1A has been applied for. You would need to start again, from scratch (ie, a new set of costs) when applying for the L-1B.
Old May 7th 2014, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

The Consulate can't issue an L-1B when an L-1A has been applied for. You would need to start again, from scratch (ie, a new set of costs) when applying for the L-1B.
OK thank you. This is probably why they're pushing me down the L1B route in case the L1A gets rejected. As per OP it's a battle to get the attorneys to agree to things. Will keep pushing to see if they and my company will let me try for L1A.
Old May 7th 2014, 4:12 pm
Banned

OK thank you. This is probably why they're pushing me down the L1B route in case the L1A gets rejected. As per OP it's a battle to get the attorneys to agree to things. Will keep pushing to see if they and my company will let me try for L1A.
FWIW, our attorney's told us different. They advised us to go for the L-1A as it was easier to be approved than the L-1B. The information required for an L-1B is pretty significant you realise?
Old May 7th 2014, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

FWIW, our attorney's told us different. They advised us to go for the L-1A as it was easier to be approved than the L-1B. The information required for an L-1B is pretty significant you realise?
Yes I've seen that - the whole "Specialized Knowledge" thing. Hopefully the fact that I am currently a Manager and if it easier to get an L1A especially as going to be Project Manager (thought that's not the official job title) may work in my favour. I have yet to have a direct conversation with the attorney but as soon as I do I'll be having these conversations.

Sorry to hijack your thread OP.
Old May 7th 2014, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

H Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

Would it not be down to what the immigration lawyer decides is best based on your job description that is submitted?
Old May 7th 2014, 4:21 pm
Banned

Yes I've seen that - the whole "Specialized Knowledge" thing. Hopefully the fact that I am currently a Manager and if it easier to get an L1A especially as going to be Project Manager (thought that's not the official job title) may work in my favour. I have yet to have a direct conversation with the attorney but as soon as I do I'll be having these conversations.

Sorry to hijack your thread OP.
I completely concur with your thoughts.
Old May 7th 2014, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by H Bomb
Would it not be down to what the immigration lawyer decides is best based on your job description that is submitted?
Yes I guess so - just want to state my case and rationale and then see where it goes. Bottom line is that the company will make me apply for whatever the attorney says is the best option.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.