Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job offer in Orange County, CA

Wikiposts

Job offer in Orange County, CA

Old Dec 4th 2012, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

MarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really nice
Default Re: Job offer in Orange County, CA

Originally Posted by joto
Thanks for your replies. Still not sure about it all. We would have to have a discussion about it all, but DH's away for a couple of days. We are not getting any younger, and would we want to be saddled with a larger mortgage at this stage in our lives. There is DS to consider as well, as he goes to college here, has a p/t job and a gf. He doesn't want to move, understandably. The traffic situation and pollution would be something to think about as well.

We love where we are at the moment, but we can see the job here possibly coming to an end within the next 2-3 years, so we can either stick it out or move. It's a tough decision whichever way we go.
good luck Joto, there are some great British people living in Orange County, a small group of brits living in Yorba Linda, I know my friend Lesley used to have coffee mornings with the ladies on organised meetups, with kids etc.
I am glad the majority of small minded expats are not in SoCal though, there is a lot to be said about actually helping people if you can actually help them!!!!
Old Dec 4th 2012, 7:24 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkCowan
I am glad the majority of small minded expats are not in SoCal though, there is a lot to be said about actually helping people if you can actually help them!!!!
If you're going to insult an entire group of people, I say go ahead and do it openly and be proud of it. Personally, I have a penchant for calling a spade a spade - I'm sure you've noticed. I was once banned from BE for stepping over the line... and I fully deserved it.

Insinuation is an poor way to make a point.

Ian
Old Dec 4th 2012, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

MarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you're going to insult an entire group of people, I say go ahead and do it openly and be proud of it. Personally, I have a penchant for calling a spade a spade - I'm sure you've noticed. I was once banned from BE for stepping over the line... and I fully deserved it.

Insinuation is an poor way to make a point.

Ian
I am far from insinuating, but I get your point.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

What is it you mean anyway? Small minded expats?

(No vested interest either way...was just curious)
Old Dec 4th 2012, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hotscot
What is it you mean anyway? Small minded expats?

(No vested interest either way...was just curious)
It was me being upset with certian treatment, I retract my comment as it was misleading and undermining. Sorry.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

Mark - I wasn't aware of an expat community in Yorba Linda, except for the tea shop in the town center. Is there anything formally arranged? Obviously a night out at the local pub isn't happening.....

Alan.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan17
Mark - I wasn't aware of an expat community in Yorba Linda, except for the tea shop in the town center. Is there anything formally arranged? Obviously a night out at the local pub isn't happening.....

Alan.
When my friends Nigel and Lesley were here a couple of years ago the woman had their own meetup group. They met/had a number of British friends and they all kinda hung out.

I am actually in YB this weekend for a soccer tournament for my daughter.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

DH has taken the job offer. I'm not really happy about moving to CA, as I love it in CO, but will have to look on it as another of life's adventures. We will have to get the house ready for a hopeful sale in the spring, as no-one really looks for houses in the Winter. Oh joy.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

DH has taken the job offer. I'm not really happy about moving to CA, as I love it in CO, but will have to look on it as another of life's adventures. We will have to get the house ready for a hopeful sale in the spring, as no-one really looks for houses in the Winter. Oh joy.
Welcome to CA.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to OC. Last year my company were looking to move us to Denver, CO (from TX, although originally from UK) which we were delighted about and I spent a lot of time there for work anyway. We were 3 weeks away from the physical move when a company restructure made it redundant for me to go to CO and I was offered a move to either Chicago or OC, CA instead. For us there was no contest as neither of us wanted Chicago but if it is any consolation, we have been in Orange County now since April last year and we love it. We are actually now quite pleased that we didn't go to CO after all. Hopefully you will get to like it here once you are moved and settled in. Good luck!

Last edited by Phoodilicious; Jan 4th 2013 at 3:24 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Jan 5th 2013, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the move, I know moving states can be as big an upheaval as moving countries!
Old Jan 8th 2013, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
Good luck with the move, I know moving states can be as big an upheaval as moving countries!
Thanks. The company is dealing with the move, but not with the load of throwing out, donating and otherwise getting rid of stuff that I will have to do. This move we have 3 dogs to deal with, whereas, the last move we had 2 and will be driving them there as we did when we moved from MA to here. The original move to the US was a walk in the park compared to this, as we didn't bring a lot of stuff with us.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 5:08 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you (and Alan) should make your offer to share information by PM in a PM, rather than in a public posting.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by MarkCowan
not really - I toally disagree since they are personal friends of mine, and since I am not allowed to point people in the direction of the group we have with these people active in it then I will not just post their names and email addresses to everyone on here. I am more than happy to give people these peoples names privately, hence the reasons for private messaging right? other peoples private details?
Old Feb 1st 2013, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Heading to CA this weekend to do some house hunting. There is not very much selection to choose from in the range we would like though. Maybe something will take our fancy, but there is a bit of time yet before we have to go.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Heading to CA this weekend to do some house hunting. There is not very much selection to choose from in the range we would like though. Maybe something will take our fancy, but there is a bit of time yet before we have to go.
Whatever you do, don't be tempted to go east up the 91 towards Corona and the like in search of cheaper housing. The 91 west in the mornings and east in the evening is a nightmare. Trust me, I know from experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.