Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job offer in Orange County, CA

Job offer in Orange County, CA

Old Dec 2nd 2012, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Job offer in Orange County, CA

DH has been offered a job there. He's not sure whether to take it. It's a little bit of a promotion, and a little bit more money, but not much. The cost of similar houses are a lot more compared to here. We would be willing to downsize a little as long as the house was under 20 years old. The location is near Yorba Linda, so if anyone has experience of living in nearby areas, it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer in Orange County, CA

I'm in Yorba Linda. Feel free to send me a PM if you've any questions.

Alan
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Orange County can be a really nice place to move to. Good parks, restaurants, activities, and near some of the best beaches anywhere.

I moved from Glasgow to Dana Point which is a gorgeous place. Large harbour, healthy living, friendly people.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

MarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really nice

I live in Costa Mesa and its a great place to live with great schools and social life. Pricing in Orange County can be expensive compared to other places but your paying for what you get, 5 minutes to the beach, 2 hours to snowboarding. Sunshine and surf.....laid back attitude and lots of great people. We have a British Dominoin Social club and many British bars if you wanted to keep it "Local" - British Football teams, Rugby, Cricket, Darts and more. If you want more info then PM me, mt friends from Bury St Edmunds moved to Yorba Linda a couple of years ago and loved it.

Mark.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorba_Linda,_California

Extremely meaningful data
Forewarned is forearmed..... or

Hope that link is helpful
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 6:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkCowan
I live in Costa Mesa and its a great place to live with great schools and social life. Pricing in Orange County can be expensive compared to other places but your paying for what you get, 5 minutes to the beach, 2 hours to snowboarding. Sunshine and surf.....laid back attitude and lots of great people. We have a British Dominoin Social club and many British bars if you wanted to keep it "Local" - British Football teams, Rugby, Cricket, Darts and more. If you want more info then PM me, mt friends from Bury St Edmunds moved to Yorba Linda a couple of years ago and loved it.

Mark.
Again...it is helpful if you could post the information rather than asking people to PM you...as the information may be helpful to others. Thanks.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

MarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Again...it is helpful if you could post the information rather than asking people to PM you...as the information may be helpful to others. Thanks.
not really - I toally disagree since they are personal friends of mine, and since I am not allowed to point people in the direction of the group we have with these people active in it then I will not just post their names and email addresses to everyone on here. I am more than happy to give people these peoples names privately, hence the reasons for private messaging right? other peoples private details?
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Did you mean to quote Alan17, rather than MarkCowan?
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 10:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rallybug
No.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rallybug
Good point, pick on one but not the other!!!!
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 11:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Good point, pick on one but not the other!!!!
It is one thing for someone who is established on the forums to ask another member to PM them...quite another for a new member to do so. Especially when the new member has already broken several Site Rules in a bid to advertise. This is not the only thread that you have asked people to PM you rather than post the information on the forum. If you have issue with my actions as moderator I suggest you abide by Site Rules and contact either myself or Admin.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

It is one thing for someone who is established on the forums to ask another member to PM them...quite another for a new member to do so. Especially when the new member has already broken several Site Rules in a bid to advertise. This is not the only thread that you have asked people to PM you rather than post the information on the forum. If you have issue with my actions as moderator I suggest you abide by Site Rules and contact either myself or Admin.
brilliant
Old Dec 4th 2012, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway....

To the OP, if you're considering moving here I'd suggest looking relatively close to where you're working. Traffic sucks pretty much everywhere. YL is relatively expensive, and has a high Quaker population and therefore has no pubs. None. Theres plenty of restaurants and take outs, but the night life is fairly quiet. Good if you have kids, and the schools are excellent. It does get warm in the summer though, the temperatures on Wikipedia are on the low side compared to the last few years. The hills in the background look vaguely like home (Scotland) on a cloudy, misty day as they are right now.
Theres nicer areas around about with fairly good schools and a bit cheaper than YL - Anaheim Hills, Brea, Placentia.
Lots around to see and do, if you're prepared to put up with the drive.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 1:43 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

not really - I toally disagree since they are personal friends of mine, and since I am not allowed to point people in the direction of the group we have with these people active in it then I will not just post their names and email addresses to everyone on here. I am more than happy to give people these peoples names privately, hence the reasons for private messaging right? other peoples private details?
Just to reiterate, this is a discussion forum so we like to keep the "discussion" in the open so that others can benefit from the info. There's no need to share personal details of others (and we wouldn't ask you to) and to be fair I hope you are not passing along email addresses of other people without their permission.

On a side note, you've got your FB group in your signature, so if people want to check it out they can, no need to keep pushing it ....

Sorry to take this off-topic ... back to the OP's question .....
Old Dec 4th 2012, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies. Still not sure about it all. We would have to have a discussion about it all, but DH's away for a couple of days. We are not getting any younger, and would we want to be saddled with a larger mortgage at this stage in our lives. There is DS to consider as well, as he goes to college here, has a p/t job and a gf. He doesn't want to move, understandably. The traffic situation and pollution would be something to think about as well.

We love where we are at the moment, but we can see the job here possibly coming to an end within the next 2-3 years, so we can either stick it out or move. It's a tough decision whichever way we go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.