Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job and life in Boston questions :)

Job and life in Boston questions :)

Old Jan 13th 2021, 8:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job and life in Boston questions :)

Originally Posted by steph0scope
But I just had to say something because it makes my eyes itch when I read “healthcare is free in the UK”.
But it *can* be free in the UK, people can pay no tax or NI and they still get full NHS care. That’s a big difference.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 13th 2021 at 9:16 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 8:35 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
I've been in fintech since moving to the usa, and with the exception of signing some non disclosures/competes I've not signed anything with a header of "employment contract." This is unlike the UK in my opinion.
call it what your want... if it details the terms, compensation and duties and you sign it that’s basically what it is... especially when it has a section called “arbitration”... are you going to get a 20 page doc with a cover sheet that says “employment agreement” on it, probably not... a single digit sample size mostly gives an atypical result...

Last edited by tht; Jan 13th 2021 at 8:40 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
call it what your want... if it details the terms, compensation and duties and you sign it that’s basically what it is... especially when it has a section called “arbitration”... are you going to get a 20 page doc with a cover sheet that says “employment agreement” on it, probably not... a single digit sample size mostly gives an atypical result...
Aside from giving you some potential recourse if the employer doesn't pay, in an "at will" state it shouldn't give you any more confidence that you are in secure employment.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never had a contract of employment in the US and never not had one in the UK.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Those are similarities - assuming a traditional 401k. To my knowledge that is where it ends. For a British person a 401k is much more equated to a stocks ISA that has a company match.

Note to OP - there could be a vesting schedule on the company match. If you leave before it's vested you will forfeit that portion of the money.
You can withdraw the funds from a Stocks and Shares ISA at any time.

You cannot withdraw funds from a 401k without penalty until you are of retirement age.

In every respect a 401k is much closer to a pension than a Stocks and Shares ISA. I'm not sure why anyone would think otherwise.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

Now I think about it did the incoming Administration say it would issue EAD ti h4's?
Old Jan 13th 2021, 9:30 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Aside from giving you some potential recourse if the employer doesn't pay, in an "at will" state it shouldn't give you any more confidence that you are in secure employment.
As you note there is not really secure employment here... and despite most people being at will many employers seem to expect 2 weeks notice from employees despite not always giving the same. Although in regulated roles 3+ months is not crazy as it can take that long to replace someone with a regulated function. In my own case the main areas of interest when I sign one are minimum bonuses/equity etc and in the case of a long NC details of the restrictions/compensation and benefits.

for people who came via marriage / family etc maybe they will be in roles without any written agreement... but I find it hard to believe many educated people would move countries / continents without a written agreement...

Last edited by tht; Jan 13th 2021 at 9:49 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 10:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
But it *can* be free in the UK, people can pay no tax or NI and they still get full NHS care. That’s a big difference.

And it is free here in the US with medicaid. Those who qualify, don't pay premiums or deductibles, etc.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeneralPowerpoint
You can withdraw the funds from a Stocks and Shares ISA at any time.

You cannot withdraw funds from a 401k without penalty until you are of retirement age.

In every respect a 401k is much closer to a pension than a Stocks and Shares ISA. I'm not sure why anyone would think otherwise.
How a pension is managed when you're alive and how it is handled upon death is far different than a 401k.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
And it is free here in the US with medicaid. Those who qualify, don't pay premiums or deductibles, etc.
So difficult to compare systems, and Medicaid tends to be forgotten. My understanding is that it can be difficult to provide a provider in non emergency areas due to reimbursement rates, well I know people who have to travel more than an hour.

In some ways the US can be more generous amusingly. If it was a choice between the 2 I would have the NHS but would rather something better.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

How a pension is managed when you're alive and how it is handled upon death is far different than a 401k.
In what respect?
Old Jan 14th 2021, 2:56 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Asks 100 questions, never comes back and posts again.

Ah BE, how I love you so!
Old Jan 14th 2021, 3:01 pm
Account Closed

Seems to have never come back at all. Posted and ran.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 4:46 pm
tht

Originally Posted by Boiler
Seems to have never come back at all. Posted and ran.
it’s probably one of the former members with a VPN to troll everyone... where did Ian ever go....
Old Jan 14th 2021, 4:47 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
it’s probably one of the former members with a VPN to troll everyone... where did Ian ever go....
He retired from BE. He is missed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.