Jewellery in the US

Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Jewellery in the US

Originally Posted by Elvira
Not yet 4 pm here, but what the heck - I've opened une bouteille de Merlot

Seasons Greetings - or whatever!
cheers elvira, we had deux bouteille de merlot with our sunday roast at lunch time....hmmmm lurvveee the bouquet of merlot based wines... enjoy!
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I've just got back from Short Hills Mall...that was the beginning and end of my Christmas shopping.
good for you....i've a bit more to buy.

caught hubs and son on tiffany's website today, i always find out what they are up to lol
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:26 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

No one has yet had the nerve to tell me not to call it Christmas but I've had a few 'double-takes', as it were.

'The Holidays' - WTF - why don't they just call it the Giving Season and be done with it.

I'm not religious, but I used to so enjoy the Christmas period in London - the street decorations, carol singers, school nativity plays. The whole feel of the place.

My children went to a Church of England primary school. I guess about one-fifth of the pupils were non-Christians. All the major religious festivals were celebrated, including Eid and Diwali, but Christmas was special for everyone. It was not unusual for major roles in the nativity play to be played by Muslims or Hindus.

We would even receive Christmas cards from (and would send cards to) friends who were Muslims and Hindus.

I guess to some extent Christmas in the UK has become 'non-denominational'. And yet, unlike here in the US, we are still allowed to call it Christmas.

And I miss the mulled wine...
Eventually, when someone told me it was offensive to them because they are Jewish, I told them that it was a festival for my religion, not theirs and that I wasn't asking them to change the names of their festivals which I chose not to join in with.
I had had a few glasses and they haven't spoken to me since.

I miss the carols and nativity plays .
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
good for you....i've a bit more to buy.

caught hubs and son on tiffany's website today, i always find out what they are up to lol
I've said it before and I'll say it again....I swear we're married to the same guy.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:32 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Eventually, when someone told me it was offensive to them because they are Jewish, I told them that it was a festival for my religion, not theirs and that I wasn't asking them to change the names of their festivals which I chose not to join in with.
I had had a few glasses and they haven't spoken to me since.

I miss the carols and nativity plays .
Extraordinary! So they were expecting you to change the name of THE major Christian festival because they happened to be non-Christians?

Now I've heard it all...
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:36 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Extraordinary! So they were expecting you to change the name of THE major Christian festival because they happened to be non-Christians?

Now I've heard it all...
Actually, isn't Easter the major festival for proper religious types.

Anyway, seeing as you often seem to up on these things Elvira, do you know why people find Christmas 'offensive' (serious question) ???
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:36 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Now I've heard it all...
Exactly. It beggars belief and after that I assumed that it was called the holidays here because all the non christians wanted to join in but were offended by the name. I refuse to send cards that say Happy holidays and, if I feel particularly nasty, when someone asks what my holiday plans are I talk about next summer and tell them what I did this summer.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:38 pm
Who?

Originally Posted by BigDavyG

Anyway, seeing as you often seem to up on these things Elvira, do you know why people find Christmas 'offensive' (serious question) ???
Now Easter could be a very touchy subject in the wrong company.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Now Easter could be a very touchy subject in the wrong company.

I couldn't give a rat's ass and I never will. To me it's Christmas, New Year and Easter...always has been...always will be.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 12:23 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Just like a meaningless waiver for gross negligence, you can't disclaim trolling with a '(serious question)', BDG!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 12:29 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Just like a meaningless waiver for gross negligence, you can't disclaim trolling with a '(serious question)', BDG!
What is this "trolling" you speak off ??
Old Nov 27th 2006, 12:42 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

What is this "trolling" you speak off ??
Perhaps you're from Kazakhstan now?
Old Nov 27th 2006, 12:44 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Easter - yes, if you want to be seriously religious

As to why anyone would consider Christmas to be offensive - I have absolutely no idea. Never encountered this feeling before I moved to the US.

Maybe some of the natives here can enlighten us?

Last edited by Elvira; Nov 27th 2006 at 12:49 am.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 12:46 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Perhaps you're from Kazakhstan now?
Wa wa weewoo
Old Nov 27th 2006, 3:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What I have noticed...a lot of the stuff is just plain tacky....and men's jewellery, uttery crap.

Saying that, thinking of getting a couple of custom made band rings done for an anniversary coming up, found an artist, just a matter of sorting it out, if it's a goer.

There is nice stuff out there though, but not usually in those chained places, Tif's, Kays, etc...a few nice small family places, but they don't seem as prominent around here.....Sundance catalogues have some nice stuff though, and there's nice amber stuff around, the missus engagement ring is a brick of amber...hmmm...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.