Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Jay-walking Brit has peppermints confiscated...

Jay-walking Brit has peppermints confiscated...

Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:18 pm
Pom tiddly pom

ali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jay-walking Brit has peppermints confiscated...

Quite a funny story about a British professor abroad in the US:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6251431.stm

Why they took his peppermints is beyond me...maybe they were out of doughnuts!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:28 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jay-walking Brit has peppermints confiscated...

Originally Posted by ali_j
Quite a funny story about a British professor abroad in the US:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6251431.stm

Why they took his peppermints is beyond me...maybe they were out of doughnuts!
Read this earlier today. Just shows you that the US has always had little time for pedestrians. I have to cross a six lane four way intersection everyday and it is hell. cars turning right on red is ridiculas and makes crossing the road a nightmare. It is usually much easier to cross somewhere else where you can at least see the traffic coming in only two directions. The turning lane pi$$es me off too. Is there really any need? Can't they just slow down and wait a moment until the person in front turns! Silly americans.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Read this earlier today. Just shows you that the US has always had little time for pedestrians. I have to cross a six lane four way intersection everyday and it is hell. cars turning right on red is ridiculas and makes crossing the road a nightmare. It is usually much easier to cross somewhere else where you can at least see the traffic coming in only two directions. The turning lane pi$$es me off too. Is there really any need? Can't they just slow down and wait a moment until the person in front turns! Silly americans.

hey now silly sod i find that here however i was in la jolla california over crimbo time and the minute you stepped off the pavement the cars would stop....hubs and i were zig zagging across the road as there were so many lovely shops i had to go into and each time we crossed the road the cars would stop and i was busy thanking each and every one, they were very kind...couldn't believe how courteous all the drivers were to all the pedestrians.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

nothing wrong with a turning lane on a busy area though....but yeah, jay walking, it is a bit of a joke...
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:42 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hey now silly sod i find that here however i was in la jolla california over crimbo time and the minute you stepped off the pavement the cars would stop....hubs and i were zig zagging across the road as there were so many lovely shops i had to go into and each time we crossed the road the cars would stop and i was busy thanking each and every one, they were very kind...couldn't believe how courteous all the drivers were to all the pedestrians.

To be fare to the drivers here they are very much the same. Even if I am waiting for them to pass before I cross a lot of them will just wait. I dont know if they are being nice or terrified of being sued but I prefer to think they are being nice. The town planners though have some answering to do!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:44 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

To be fare to the drivers here they are very much the same. Even if I am waiting for them to pass before I cross a lot of them will just wait. I dont know if they are being nice or terrified of being sued but I prefer to think they are being nice. The town planners though have some answering to do!
lol that's what hubs wondered but it was nice nevertheless
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by Bob
nothing wrong with a turning lane on a busy area though....but yeah, jay walking, it is a bit of a joke...
It is a pain in the ask though if you happen to be a pedestrian midway across a busy road and an SUV suddenly swings into the turning lane. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it though and we have now bought a car so I will probably be a total hypocrite by next week ha ha

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Love the picture, 7 cops and a fat bloke for a Jaywalker
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's amusing how crossing the road should be personal responsibility, but over here, it isn't...but then again, they have to have a "stop" sign at pretty much every junction...more probably because people would sue otherwise, which is a bit sad...
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

It is a pain in the ask though if you happen to be a pedestrian midway across a busy road and an SUV suddenly swings into the turning lane. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it though and we have now bought a car so I will probably be a total hypocrite by next week ha ha
just get hit by one, if you survive, you can sue the pants of them and you'll be laughing
Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
just get hit by one, if you survive, you can sue the pants of them and you'll be laughing
Its actually a bit more interesting than the article proposes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENCa43r9jmY
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going to wait at a crossing to go across the road with the signal, you have to be an Olympic sprinter to get to the other side before the lights change, no matter the width of the road.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 4:08 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the cops versions of events, which don't exactly jive with the professors.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...10metwalk.html
Old Jan 12th 2007, 4:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Here is the cops versions of events, which don't exactly jive with the professors.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...10metwalk.html
He did have witness's.

I guess I have trouble visualising an obvious wimp going up against one of Atlanta's finest.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Its actually a bit more interesting than the article proposes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENCa43r9jmY
That poor Man :scared: absolutely intolerable. I'll tell ya now I'm shit scared of the Police over here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.