Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

J1 Trainee Visa - Medicare & Social Security exempt?

J1 Trainee Visa - Medicare & Social Security exempt?

Old Jun 15th 2011, 12:01 am
Just Joined

garyrozanski is an unknown quantity at this point
Default J1 Trainee Visa - Medicare & Social Security exempt?

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me out (I have done my own research and investigation on & off this forum, but I can't seem to find what I need/desire)

I moved to NYC in April on a J1 Trainee visa. I recieve a stipend from my place of traineeship. I was aware that a J1 visa was exempt from Medicare & Social Security, however, looking at my monthly pay slip I can see that I'm paying both - which add up to around $100 a month.

I was wondering if anyone knew if I should be making these payments each month? If I should, that's cool but would like it confirmed.

If I should be exempt, how do I would I go about stopping these payments - are there forms to complete, people I should speak with? any help with this would be appreciated.

If I left it until Taxes are due next year, would I find that I get reimbursment of these payments?

Please let me know your thoughts if you have any advice.

many thanks
Gary
Old Jun 15th 2011, 1:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J1 Trainee Visa - Medicare & Social Security exempt?

I'd speak to HR about it, would think they would know how to go about it...

Normally it's recommended that you pay it because if you end up staying because you get a H1 for instance, you'll have to back pay with penalties what was owed, but if you have a 2 year HRR on the visa, it wouldn't be an issue.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 1:24 am
Just Joined

garyrozanski is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob

Normally it's recommended that you pay it because if you end up staying because you get a H1 for instance, you'll have to back pay with penalties what was owed, but if you have a 2 year HRR on the visa, it wouldn't be an issue.
Thanks Bob. I'll contact HR, although they're not the brightest bunch

I only have an 18 month visa and I've left my partner & flat in the UK, so I don't expect to overstay after 18 months, but you never know.

Thanks again
Gary
Old Jun 15th 2011, 4:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Medicare and Social Security is covered by the UK/USA Social Security Agreement as far as I know, not the tax treaty.

If this comment pertains to income tax it may not be applicable to Medicare and Social Security.