Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ive had enough, I want to go home :(

Ive had enough, I want to go home :(

Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:06 pm

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ive had enough, I want to go home :(

Originally Posted by jumping doris
What?? Don't thee understand plain English????
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Sofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to beholdSofi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by monkjack
I can't comment on the USA but this whole issue of 'mass eastern eu immigration' is a total load of shit that you read about all the time but has no base in reality. I live in London and have met about 5 eastern europeans since I was born. The actual amount is so low its not worth thinking about, and even if it increases, who cares? Immigrants are not a bad thing. London is full of yanks and aussies and is not a worse place for it.
I second that.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monkjack
I can't comment on the USA but this whole issue of 'mass eastern eu immigration' is a total load of shit that you read about all the time but has no base in reality. I live in London and have met about 5 eastern europeans since I was born. The actual amount is so low its not worth thinking about, and even if it increases, who cares? Immigrants are not a bad thing. London is full of yanks and aussies and is not a worse place for it.
Always good to hear comments like this
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:17 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop
What?? Don't thee understand plain English????
Is it Cornish?
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:18 pm

Is it Cornish?
Nyet.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gypsygirl
Hi, Im new here. We are realising we really dont want to be here (in the USA), but family keep telling us not to go back to the Uk. I would really appreciate some feedback!
They tell us the place has gone really bad since we left several years ago and now they are scareing us with stories of mass European immigrants bombarding the country and taking over etc etc. I dont know how true it is, or if they just dont want us to go back lol
I want to make the right choice and stick by it, but right now we are having trouble deciding. Im going quite mad with it all
Plus we are really skint and there is 50c to every uk pound, which makes it impossible to save anything useful for moving back. We havent been back since we moved here and Im wondering if we could just be homesick, but that doesnt take the problems away. I could go on for days about the problems here lol
Help !
The sinister Bulgarians lurking round every corner is total drivel - a product of an insular people dealing with relatively large immigration. If you don't like the US and are unhappy there then return. There is no point being unhappy. The only thing I would add is make sure you give it a fair chance. Nothing is more stupid than people returning home after 6 weeks, etc.

Britain has changed since you left. If you left before the "revolution" of 1997-2007, then there are things you won't recognise. The new national sport is stabbing people, there is a kill or be killed attitude on the roads, most of which are like race tracks, fuel can cost upwards of $10 a gallon, and a three bedroom mid-terrace with no parking, in the South, could easily cost you $400,000. You've got 60 million people in an area the size of Oregon, and they're all on roads 15 feet wide at the same time driving at 120mph.

On the upside, all the good things you remember will still be here. There are still the same 400 year old riverside pubs flanked with willows, still the same sense of humour, the feeling of home, lots of cheap alcohol, trips to France, and so on.

Good luck in your choice.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Tableland
If you don't like the US and are unhappy there then return. There is no point being unhappy. The only thing I would add is make sure you give it a fair chance. Nothing is more stupid than people returning home after 6 weeks, etc.

Britain has changed since you left. If you left before the "revolution" of 1997-2007, then there are things you won't recognise. The new national sport is stabbing people, there is a kill or be killed attitude on the roads, most of which are like race tracks, fuel can cost upwards of $10 a gallon, and a three bedroom mid-terrace with no parking, in the South, could easily cost you $400,000. You've got 60 million people in an area the size of Oregon, and they're all on roads 15 feet wide at the same time driving at 120mph.

On the upside, all the good things you remember will still be here. There are still the same 400 year old riverside pubs flanked with willows, still the same sense of humour, the feeling of home, lots of cheap alcohol, trips to France, and so on.

Good luck in your choice.
Brace yerself.........the anti-septics will dog pile you in T-minus 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,................
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Brace yerself.........the anti-septics will dog pile you in T-minus 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,................
Bang!!!
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:22 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Tableland;4887111]

QUOTE]

At least we know how to drive, all 60 million of us at once.

I have been gone nearly two years and where I lived it wasn't like that.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:23 pm
Who?

We try not to disappoint
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=jumping doris;4887134]
Originally Posted by Tableland

QUOTE]

At least we know how to drive, all 60 million of us at once.

I have been gone nearly two years and where I lived it wasn't like that.
I check my will every time I drive on my local city's ring-road at rush hour. The limit is 50mph, which is ignored by all. The de facto limit is of course 70mph, because it is a dual. If you were to drive at 70mph on the 50mph, you would still get overweight red-faced middle managers with meaty jowls driving German sedans 5 inches from your rear bumper. You can see them swearing at you in the mirror. To me it's like going hunting - I collect them. I drive slowly, not least because my car's top speed is about 65pmh foot to the floor - and the abuse I get when I can't accelerate from a roundabout like a Formula 1!

Last edited by Tableland; Jun 7th 2007 at 9:27 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold

Ok, I am a girl first of all LOL
I actually love NJ, we are in a beautiful area, far enough away from the city to be away from the trash and this is why its called the Garden State. I cant imagine living anywhere else.
There isnt much we can do here that we enjoy, as there are now 6 of us nearly every outing is $50+ There isnt anything in the area, I dont drive here and lack of funds pretty much kill everything we try to do.

I struggle with the intense heat/cold here and also the disgusting bugs More money would help, but thats not going to happen in the foreseeable future and college here is out of the question.

Thanks for telling me about the immigrants, they sound pretty scary from what we are told. I needed to know how accurate that is from outsiders.

Tableland, those are some of the reasons we left, so its hard to go back to them and they are what keep us here. Because my brain is telling me to go home, its very hard for me to make choice.

I dont want to leave here and then think crap why didnt we stay in 10 years
Thats why I posted this to go over it some more. Thanks for all your thoughts.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Thees Got'n Wur Thee Casn't Back'n, Asn't!

........me zun........
Been at the herb again?

I always ask people these questions.

Can you foresee living here when you're 70 years old? Will the healthcare situation be sorted out? Will you be able to afford it?

If not, can you foresee a life living in the UK with your kids and grandkids here?

Yes, you should look that far into the future.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:41 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Tableland;4887153]

I check my will every time I drive on my local city's ring-road at rush hour. The limit is 50mph, which is ignored by all. The de facto limit is of course 70mph, because it is a dual. If you were to drive at 70mph on the 50mph, you would still get overweight red-faced middle managers with meaty jowls driving German sedans 5 inches from your rear bumper. You can see them swearing at you in the mirror. To me it's like going hunting - I collect them. I drive slowly, not least because my car's top speed is about 65pmh foot to the floor - and the abuse I get when I can't accelerate from a roundabout like a Formula 1!
I agree with everything you've said. There is no mercy on the roads, housing is 3-5 times more expensive than here, it is overcrowded etc etc, but I miss the culture, proper telly, pubs, being able to walk everywhere, villages, all the usual british icons all the time. I love going back and always seem to do stuff I'd never think of if I still lived there.
To the OP, go back for a holiday and see for yourself before you make a move

Last edited by Chorlton; Jun 7th 2007 at 9:43 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Tableland;4887153]

Have you ever drove over here M25 is a piece of cake.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.