Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I've found him

I've found him

Old Nov 6th 2005, 2:43 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default I've found him

I 've found a USC that has a great sense of humour and understands ours extremely well.

I often get involved in a friendly slanging match with my USC BIL over the glories of our respective nations.

During our most recent debate today, we touched upon the US history on war. Things were getting to there usual animated and heated stage, I felt confident that I had him and his whole arguement on the ropes and back pedalling. I could tell he knew he was fighting a losing battle and grasping at any chance of saving face. Trying to get him to admit defeat I asked him the killer question........

"So tell me then, what the f**k did America get out of going to war in Vietnam and korea"

He paused.....

and answered begrudgingly

" *M*A*S*H* "

I pissed myself!!!!

(OK I am exaggerating about him being the only USC with a sense of humour before you respond, you know who you are)
Old Nov 6th 2005, 2:58 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I've found him

Originally Posted by rushman
I 've found a USC that has a great sense of humour and understands ours extremely well.

I often get involved in a friendly slanging match with my USC BIL over the glories of our respective nations.

During our most recent debate today, we touched upon the US history on war. Things were getting to there usual animated and heated stage, I felt confident that I had him and his whole arguement on the ropes and back pedalling. I could tell he knew he was fighting a losing battle and grasping at any chance of saving face. Trying to get him to admit defeat I asked him the killer question........

"So tell me then, what the f**k did America get out of going to war in Vietnam and korea"

He paused.....

and answered begrudgingly

" *M*A*S*H* "

I pissed myself!!!!

(OK I am exaggerating about him being the only USC with a sense of humour before you respond, you know who you are)
Quite right! There are in fact 2 (well 3 including my missus). The guy I work with is pretty good, albeit a little ignorant.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 3:01 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Quite right! There are in fact 2 (well 3 including my missus). The guy I work with is pretty good, albeit a little ignorant.
My BIL gets it, originally he's Armenian, not 'merican, so does that count?

Last edited by gruffbrown; Nov 6th 2005 at 3:04 am.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 3:07 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
My BIL gets it, originally he's Armenian, not 'merican, so does that count?
That reminded me of the woman who thought I was from the Ukraine when I said the UK To be honest I was surprised she'd heard of either
Old Nov 6th 2005, 3:08 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
That reminded me of the woman who thought I was from the Ukraine when I said the UK To be honest I was surprised she'd heard of either
I was asked if the UK meant I was from the University of Kentucky
Old Nov 6th 2005, 4:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I was asked if the UK meant I was from the University of Kentucky
cultured living
Old Nov 6th 2005, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Teach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
cultured living
During a meal , my wife and I were asked "if we came from Sweden" (neither of us have blonde hair ) and when we replied no, England, the waitress asked "did it take us long to drive from England". As Homer Simpson would put it...Dough!!!

Also... when I teach the kids here I remind them that they have the accent and I speak proper English!!! I come from England and speak English...They come from America and speak English - whose right!!!!
Old Nov 6th 2005, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Teach3r
Also... when I teach the kids here I remind them that they have the accent and I speak proper English!!! I come from England and speak English...They come from America and speak English - whose right!!!!

Does that make them look up to you more then?
Old Nov 6th 2005, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Teach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really nice

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Does that make them look up to you more then?
It makes them think and brings some humoU r into the lesson.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Been over here 3 years now and gave up looking for any sort of person I could relate to, then I found another Brit through this site, although shes been over here 15 years she has become a real diamond of a friend kept her british ways and most importantly her manners. Then not to long ago I met this New Yorkern, and shes like a breath of freash air quite different from any other American I'v ever met. So I understand all to well what Rushmen said.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

I'm writing a humourous novel (my first attempt and so far I've written over 300 pages, mostly complete nonsense)
I've shown it to some English people who think it's really funny but the Americans I've shown it to just don't understand the subleties and dryness of my humour, perhaps I'm using too much 'London slang' Awright !
Surprisingly it's set in the swamps of Louisiana, although the main character is a 'ship-wrecked' Englishman in the Del Boy mold.
However, it's hardly "Are you being served" perhaps I should include a John Inman character ??

Last edited by rogerpenycate; Nov 7th 2005 at 7:17 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 6:57 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by rogerpenycate
I'm writing a humourous novel (my first attempt and so far I've written over 300 pages, mostly complete nonsense)
I've showed it to some English people who think it's really funny but the Americans I've shown it to just don't understand the subleties and dryness of my humour, perhaps I'm using too much 'London slang' Awright !
Surprisingly it's set in the swamps of Louisiana, although the main character is a 'ship-wrecked' Englishman in the Del Boy mold.
However, it's hardly "Are you being served" perhaps I should include a John Inman character ??

Well email it to me for a proof read

What copyright?
Old Nov 7th 2005, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

300 pages !!
I've actually copyrighted it with the copyright office in DC
Old Nov 7th 2005, 7:33 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

You should have tol'em that M*A*S*H was based on Korea, not Vietnam.