Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ive been here nearly a year and i need to go get a TEXAS driving licence

Wikiposts

Ive been here nearly a year and i need to go get a TEXAS driving licence

Old May 15th 2007, 2:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ive been here nearly a year and i need to go get a TEXAS driving licence

Originally Posted by Ray
30 days ...for out of State licence this usually inc foreign icence holder
who are there permanently ..(not temp status ..ie ... on vacation ..)

International licence is only valid if you original country licence is not in English ..
or doesn't have a photo...

but I think texas does give johnny foreigner 12 months, it's just you'll find it nae on impossible to find insurance without getting a state license for that length of time.
Old May 15th 2007, 5:13 am
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ive been here nearly a year and i need to go get a TEXAS driving licence

Originally Posted by Richardowen
What difference does it make what time of day it is when you get pulled over...? and a camera for reversing ??? Perhaps you need to get one of those new Lexus that reverse park themselves... or preferably a chauffeur.....?

Personally I think it's a complete travesty that people over here can pass a test to drive a friggin automatic...at 14 ! Driving is about controlling a very large lethal weapon. Without knowing how to actually use the gearbox and clutch in a vehicle or have the spacial awareness to place it between two stationary objects at 2 mph makes me very worried for my kids and OH isn't even pregnant yet !

I don't understand this "oh I can't reverse park and my driving's really bad cos I'm nervous and my husband make it worse..isn't it funny" attitude....NO it's not funny it's stupid....go get some extra lessons and take it more seriously so you don't kill someone.

What if someone ran over your kid cos they were nervous or distracted when driving....?

Two years ago a friend of mine was knocked off her bike when a driver ran a red light. The person driving said his brakes failed and he didn't know what to do!"....The judge told him what to do...go and sit in prison for 2 year for dangerous driving !

R./
changing gears all the time may suit some.... doesnt make you a better driver though
Old May 15th 2007, 5:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southern comfort
changing gears all the time may suit some.... doesnt make you a better driver though
what does manual or auto have to do with spacial awareness and general poor state of driving standards around here?
Old May 15th 2007, 6:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
what does manual or auto have to do with spacial awareness and general poor state of driving standards around here?
I actually was replying to another poster........ but there are bad and good drivers in every country never thought being a brit meant you drove better ? or do you lol
Old May 15th 2007, 6:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

I actually was replying to another poster........ but there are bad and good drivers in every country never thought being a brit meant you drove better ? or do you lol
aye, but to pass your test here is a joke, you don't have to do anything tough, driving around a car park and parking between a couple of cones does not show one is aware of whats on the road.
Old May 15th 2007, 6:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
aye, but to pass your test here is a joke, you don't have to do anything tough, driving around a car park and parking between a couple of cones does not show one is aware of whats on the road.
Dunno where you live......but it doesnt work that way here in SC
Old May 15th 2007, 6:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
By "tough" do you mean driving uphill on a tiny lane with no layby ? lol with gears of course
Old May 15th 2007, 6:56 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I keep reading about how much easier the test is here than in England and I'm sure it's true as an average 15-16 year old here has no trouble passing it. But what is the test in England? Do you have to take the car apart and put it together again? Drive london blindfolded?
Old May 15th 2007, 7:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I keep reading about how much easier the test is here than in England and I'm sure it's true as an average 15-16 year old here has no trouble passing it. But what is the test in England? Do you have to take the car apart and put it together again? Drive london blindfolded?
LMAO.......no just drive while continously changing gears and circling roundabouts
Old May 15th 2007, 7:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno where you live......but it doesnt work that way here in SC
It does in NJ. My daughter's test took all of 5 mins in an empty car park. She had to drive a couple of hundred yards then park between 2 cones about 50 yds apart. No wonder the majority of people on NJ road are appalling drivers.
Old May 15th 2007, 7:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

By "tough" do you mean driving uphill on a tiny lane with no layby ? lol with gears of course
it's state by state...and many don't have any real requirements as long as you don't kill someone on the test, don't speed, an ape could pass the test....the parallel park is between two cones 50 odd feet apart, no hill start, no 3 point turn, no reverse a corner....the standard of driving is plain crap.
Old May 15th 2007, 7:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
these days, you've got a computer test to see your priorities and how you react to emergency situations, got to get around 90% or so, and it's speed based answering...also have a theory test that is actually fairly hard, have to get around 35/40 I think, and the actual test takes a fair bit of time, and you also drive on dual carriage way, so actually get up to some real speed.
Old May 15th 2007, 8:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
these days, you've got a computer test to see your priorities and how you react to emergency situations, got to get around 90% or so, and it's speed based answering...also have a theory test that is actually fairly hard, have to get around 35/40 I think, and the actual test takes a fair bit of time, and you also drive on dual carriage way, so actually get up to some real speed.
Bows head to superior driver
Old May 15th 2007, 8:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It does in NJ. My daughter's test took all of 5 mins in an empty car park. She had to drive a couple of hundred yards then park between 2 cones about 50 yds apart. No wonder the majority of people on NJ road are appalling drivers.
So did you let her drive ?
Old May 15th 2007, 8:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
it's state by state...and many don't have any real requirements as long as you don't kill someone on the test, don't speed, an ape could pass the test....the parallel park is between two cones 50 odd feet apart, no hill start, no 3 point turn, no reverse a corner....the standard of driving is plain crap.
OK if you say so

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.