Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ive been here nearly a year and i need to go get a TEXAS driving licence

Ive been here nearly a year and i need to go get a TEXAS driving licence

Old Dec 10th 2006, 4:28 pm
Essex boy in Texas

Thackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really nice
Default Ive been here nearly a year and i need to go get a TEXAS driving licence

Somewhere i read that my Uk licence was good for a year but i cant find where that was. I did get one speeding ticket and the Cop thought that my licence wasnt good but i got insured with it. he was fine with it but then again he didnt fully know what the law was with it.

Texans, will i need to take both the driving and written test or what?

Any help is much appreciated
Old Dec 10th 2006, 4:45 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ive been here nearly a year and i need to go get a TEXAS driving licence

http://driversed.com/DMV/Texas-foreign-drivers.aspx

This link seems to say you will need to do both tests.

If it is anything like Florida you will have nothing to worry about.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 4:57 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ive been here nearly a year and i need to go get a TEXAS driving licence

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
If it is anything like Florida you will have nothing to worry about.
Except possibly for still not having a Tx license
Old Dec 10th 2006, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thackattack
Somewhere i read that my Uk licence was good for a year but i cant find where that was. I did get one speeding ticket and the Cop thought that my licence wasnt good but i got insured with it. he was fine with it but then again he didnt fully know what the law was with it.

Who do you have insurance with as I can't believe you managed to get it without a Tx drivers licence

The driving test and written test (if it hasn't changed in the last 19 years) is very simple and straightforward so you shouldn't have a problem.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 10:58 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Like you, we left it nearly a year before getting our Texas licenses. To answer Sugarmooma, we were able to get insurance through Progressive, who were more than happy to insure us on British licenses... for $3800 per year! :scared:

Thackattack, you have to take both the written and practical driving test, and both are a total joke. If you can put the car into drive, you'll pass. Schedule a test, get it over with and then laugh about how much the test tells you about why Texans are the worst drivers on earth!
Old Dec 10th 2006, 11:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

check out the Texas DMV to see what you need to take the test, but you'll need to do the written and the two min practical which is pretty easy.

Texas is one of the few states where you can use your foreign license for 12 months, but it can't have been cheap on your insurance...
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

We drove for a year as well and I can't find the site that had the info on, but a few days after the first 30 days were up, my husband was pulled over for speeding, and the officer gave him a ticket for not having a Texas Driving Licence. We told him we didn't need one but he didn't believe us, so my husband went to the court and told the judge instead, he said the officer should have known the law and that was that.

I had to do both parts of the test but the written part was just answering questions on the computer, you can pass any you don't know and not all of them come back up, it's frightening how easy it is, the kid in the cubicle next to me was on his mobile phone with his friend giving him the answers.

Then all I had to do was drive around the block. The instructor was in the car for less than five minutes. He told me I was a good driver and I just had to go back in to get my photograph taken
Old Dec 11th 2006, 3:44 am
Essex boy in Texas

Thackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really nice

Thanks for all your info, so yes it was valid for one year, THANKYOU!

I got insured through State Farm in Wylie, my 2004 saturn vue and my wifes ford focus cost us about 140 a month so less than 2 grand a year and this year it dropped to about a grand! Not bad at all.

I really appreciate the info about the test, the uk tests are hard and it seems like these are a pushover.

hey where in Dallas did you go for your test?
Old Dec 11th 2006, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your info, so yes it was valid for one year, THANKYOU!

I got insured through State Farm in Wylie, my 2004 saturn vue and my wifes ford focus cost us about 140 a month so less than 2 grand a year and this year it dropped to about a grand! Not bad at all.

I really appreciate the info about the test, the uk tests are hard and it seems like these are a pushover.

DMV is the old name. Search for DPS (Department of Public Safety).

Have a good evening.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 4:35 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

A year, wow. I got mine after 2 weeks. But my insurer said he could half my policy premium if I did. That was all the motivation I needed.
You need to sit both tests, they are very simple to pass.
The written (actually a written or touch screen PC - your choice) is simple. It contains some questions I did not prepare for and that were frankly irrelevant to me (example "what is the maximum sentence for an 18 year old convicted of DUI" - not being 18 I didn't bother to learn that one). The actual driving test lasts about 15 minutes. It is very basic and a competent driver should easily pass. If your ever in College Station, Texas around A&M then you'll notice that even a moron can pass their driving test - the town is full of kids in raised trucks and SUV's on a mission to end either yours or their life (or both).

Main web site:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/

Office locations:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...dex/search.asp

Staff are rude, very rude. It is apparently a known problem. I guess that Marge Simpsons twin sisters are a valid representation of the average experience. Don't take it personally.

Somewhere i read that my Uk license was good for a year but i cant find where that was. I did get one speeding ticket and the Cop thought that my licence wasnt good but i got insured with it. he was fine with it but then again he didnt fully know what the law was with it.

Last edited by Pony; Dec 11th 2006 at 4:38 am.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

I went to the East Dallas office on Northwest Highway. My husband works down in that area, so I just dropped him off at work one morning and then went along and did the test without telling him because I wanted to get my licence before he got his, it gave my hubby a good chuckle when I turned up with the temporary licence paper they give you while you wait for the real thing to arrive. I think he said "you bloody cow" which was exactly the reaction I was looking for
Old Dec 11th 2006, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave

Staff are rude, very rude. It is apparently a known problem. I guess that Marge Simpsons twin sisters are a valid representation of the average experience. Don't take it personally.
For good reason I think - when I went to the main Tucson MVD office for my test/licence getting I noticed that the demographic of people there was 'interesting'; my boss later commented that the only people who go to the MVD to do things are those with no internet access, since all payments, licence renewals etc in Arizona can be done online. So the folk who work there probably get a lot of hassle from some of society's miserables and thus are rude to everyone.

As for the practical test - piece of cake. For the written/touch screen it's probably best to memorise the alcohol limits and penalties. Otherwise, it's just common sense.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 3:18 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Here I've been told that I can only use the British license for 90 days from date of arrival..
Old Dec 11th 2006, 3:26 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

yep both written and driving here but so easy, no probs and good luck just incase
Old Dec 11th 2006, 4:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
Here I've been told that I can only use the British license for 90 days from date of arrival..
depends on the state your in, some have 10 days, some have 12 months, most are between 30-90 days though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.