Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I've arrived in the promised land!

I've arrived in the promised land!

Old Jan 10th 2004, 5:17 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future
Default I've arrived in the promised land!

Hey guys

Thanks for all the good luck messages - well nearly all...

It was all pretty simple really, apart from the mass of luggage I was expected to carry by my wife...

About half an hour in the immigration booth, and then a quick finger print and signature and I was away!

Its one heck of an ugly stamp though isnt it?!

Im in Maryland now, with the in-laws with limited access to the internet, until the disc arrives in the post!

See ya'll soon

Old Jan 10th 2004, 7:43 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've arrived in the promised land!

Originally posted by waxwabbit
Hey guys

Thanks for all the good luck messages - well nearly all...
It was all pretty simple really, apart from the mass of luggage I was expected to carry by my wife...
About half an hour in the immigration booth, and then a quick finger print and signature and I was away!
Its one heck of an ugly stamp though isnt it?!
Im in Maryland now, with the in-laws with limited access to the internet, until the disc arrives in the post!
See ya'll soon
Congrats..hope you both survived the trip ok...
Old Jan 10th 2004, 7:50 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Your in Israel, I thought you where going to America
Old Jan 11th 2004, 1:39 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

congrats and glad your journey was good.

i was pretty excited when i first came over now i am not so sure it was even a good call to come here at all. It is very different to a holiday in the USA. Mainly i am here out of love for my wife and now having come i have to at least give it a good go for 5 years or so and resist the temptation to rush back to blighty.

Frankly though i think i was happier in the UK.

Hope your experinces are better than mine,

regards,

Duncan
Old Jan 11th 2004, 1:56 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to America, Lee! Hope you settle in quickly and that everything goes smoothly for you. Most of all, I hope you are able to find good cheap rabbit food!

Duncs, sorry to hear you're not happy here. It does take a while to settle down, and I know I go through phases of being incredibly excited to be here, amazed that I made it, to panicking at what I've left behind. It will smooth out, but perhaps this is a topic for another thread...
Old Jan 11th 2004, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Wabbit, glad it all went well. How did your money exchange go? We've finally booked our flight, leaving on the 21st of January - scary times.

Sorry too Duncs to hear that you're unhappy. I know when I moved over to the UK almost 6 years ago I went through the same thing. Now my husband is going to have to experience it. It isn't easy, but I can tell you that things get a bit better. I'm a bit nervous moving back, quite frankly I don't know if I'll even be happy going back, but family situations being what they are requires that we must. Best of luck and I hope things get better.

Lisa
Old Jan 11th 2004, 11:18 pm
mwm
Forum Regular

mwm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Duncs
congrats and glad your journey was good.

i was pretty excited when i first came over now i am not so sure it was even a good call to come here at all. It is very different to a holiday in the USA. Mainly i am here out of love for my wife and now having come i have to at least give it a good go for 5 years or so and resist the temptation to rush back to blighty.

Frankly though i think i was happier in the UK.

Hope your experinces are better than mine,

regards,

Duncan
Hey Duncan,
I know what you mean.I arrived over here October 2002 as I couldn't be apart from my american husband.Things are not as rosy as I imagined but I am going to do what you are and give it 5 years,too be honest so far the only good thing that I can say is that atleast we have good weather over here.Chin up though,you're not alone!
Old Jan 12th 2004, 4:04 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Patrick
Your in Israel, I thought you where going to America

"Thud"
Old Jan 12th 2004, 4:09 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

hey rabbit, welcome.

any questions just ask ok?
Old Jan 12th 2004, 5:25 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by manc1976
hey rabbit, welcome.

any questions just ask ok?
Don't egg him on, for goodness sake!!!

NC Penguin
Old Jan 12th 2004, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

All the best waxwabbit hope things go well for you in Maryland!

MWM and Dunc, I can well sympathise with your situation. I have been in the US for almost 2 years and I'm starting to have doubts about my future here. I came on a K1 and am married to a wonderful woman but I just don't feel right over here. It's been really difficult to make friends and the job situation where I am is pretty dire. We're planning to visit the UK this year but I'm a bit scared that I might not want to come back here afterwards.
Anyway, going to try and give it another few years and maybe move to a different area of the states.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 11:12 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

Hey guys

Well, I have not transferred money yet, seeing as I think it may continue to gain value for the time being, and we have a little money in the US already, so no immediate rush

Just feeling tired all the time, having almost switched my body clock by 12 hours!

blurrrrrrrrrrgh
Old Jan 12th 2004, 11:22 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

To those who are saying they are having doubts or regrets about coming to the US, would you mind telling us what it is that is making you feel that way? Is it that the US is different than you expected, something about your job, or simply that you miss the UK? Or something else entirely?

I think it would be helpful to people who are thinking about coming out, or who have arrived recently, to hear about your experiences. I know for me, having been out of the UK for the past 20 years (except 2000), the longer I've been away, the more I miss the UK (have been back loads of times, and was back all of 2000, so I know what the UK is like these days and am not looking through rose tinted glasses at an outdated idea of the UK).

There have been times during the 20 yrs that I've thought about just quitting and getting on a plane home and taking it from there - not in the recent past, as I'm currently in a very fulfilling job and like my living situation. I think a lot of expats go through cycles like this, and I think it's difficult to know if you really need to go home or are just going through a phase...
Old Jan 13th 2004, 2:25 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Lots of things really are unsettling me but i suppose the lack of a fulfilling career is number one. In the Uk i had a professional career and a degree of status, here i have none of that. I was not born with a silver spoon and had to work hard to get where i did. Now i feel like having draggged myself up the ladder i have suddenly stepped on the big snake and ended up where i was 13 years ago only without the advantage of youth. That is causing me to be a bit melancholy at the moment.

However that said my business in the Uk had gone bust and it would have been a struggle to rebuild so either way i knew i was taking a step back. my wife has better prospects here than in the UK and i can start again. I will give it a good shot and see what happens hence the promise to stick out at least 5 years if after 5 years it still sucks then maybe we will move back to the Uk but we will see what comes. I am going to go back to college and re-train and i am sure with determination i can start back up the ladder again here. Only time will tell i suppose.

Thanks for peoples kind remarks and sorry for being a downer sometimes,

regards,

Duncan
Old Jan 13th 2004, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by waxwabbit

Just feeling tired all the time, having almost switched my body clock by 12 hours!
You must be on Eastern UNstandard time then, as I always thought it was just 5hrs difference between Birmingham and Florida?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.