Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

It's gotta be easier than this?

It's gotta be easier than this?

Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:47 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's gotta be easier than this?

Originally Posted by danfan
and crappy/ no maternity leave, or sick leave (My DH got NO paid sick leave in his last job).
Plus employers in Commonwealth states have the right to fire an employee for ANY reason whatsoever (as long as not due to race, sex or disability). I called our dept of labor once over one of our employees and asked "Can I fire him for xx?" and I was told "You can fire him if you don't like the color of his tie."
My Dh didn't even get a paid day off for us to have our babies, lucky they came early in the morning so he could get off to work, and he also had to take an unpaid day off to bring us home from the hospital.
So 4 days after a c-section I was home alone in a rural area with a newborn and a 5 year old and a Dh who was gone 15-16hrs a day.
Quality of life isn't something I equate with US either.
My 14yo practically begs us to up sticks and move him to Wales, where he can catch trains and swim in lakes and go to the beach with his friends without getting heatstroke. He was born here and has only been around those teenagers a total of 12 weeks in his life. So It's a grass is greener thing I suppose.

For all the things you feel you can get from living in US, there must be a place/area in UK where you can find what you love and still have 4-6 weeks off a year and NHS coverage. If you think that area is too expensive in UK chances are the equivilant place in US is also too expensive by the time you add up all the things you have to pay out.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
But that can be a good thing. We once discovered that a guy we had hired just three weeks prior was a chronic masturbater when a female Exec walked into his office and saw him taking care of non work related business. He was out of the building literally in minutes. Idiot.
In the Big Book of <your company's> Transgressions, that must be in the preface.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confused1
Hi
I moved over from the UK back in 1993, and now live in San Jose, California. I have 2 children and love the fact that I got out of the UK when I did. My kids attend a small private school where there is absolutely no bullying and all the kids know each other by name. They love going to school and do a ton of stuff. We own a house with a pool, there are no drunks on the streets where we live (there are no pubs) and although we both work, our jobs are flexible so I get to pick my kids up from school every day. Sure, vacation is limited, but with no rain between about April and November, every weekend is a mini-vacation for us. Sure healthcare is expensive, but we seem to be healthier here, so don't really need the doctors. Things for now are great - so my message for you is don't give up on your dream - keep trying and give it a go. For some it works, it did for us, and it can for you.
Until you lose your job...

And hardly representative of middle class life in America really is it...
Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

But that can be a good thing. We once discovered that a guy we had hired just three weeks prior was a chronic masturbater when a female Exec walked into his office and saw him taking care of non work related business. He was out of the building literally in minutes. Idiot.
but in the EU you could certainly fire someone for that!

The whole 'work at will' idea is utterly ridiculous. It basically means workers have no rights whatsoever.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:58 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
have you read the daily mail or the UK media in general recently? They'd have you believe that the UK is a cross between the wild west and a 3rd world country...that usually has something to do with it. I'm fed up of people who have been here a few times on holiday telling me about how great it is. Although dont get me wrong, I do like it here so far. But all the same problems that the UK has, exist over here too.
I was shocked - appalled in fact - that I wasn't attacked by a black lesbian club footed dwarf Chavette wearing a hooded top in the arrival lounge at Birmingham International Airport. Was a tremendous disappointment to an otherwise jolly nice trip home. The Daily Mail has a lot to answer for - they got my hopes right up that I'd at least have a stab wound to remember the visit by
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:01 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
but in the EU you could certainly fire someone for that!

The whole 'work at will' idea is utterly ridiculous. It basically means workers have no rights whatsoever.
Bingo. Apparently though, in a right to work state, you can quit without giving notice. Of course according to employers in those right to work states, "that is unprofessional" and frowned upon, so will inevitably hinder your job prospects. In fact, there was much sucking in of breath and tut tutting when I "only gave 9 days notice"
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski
I was shocked - appalled in fact - that I wasn't attacked by a black lesbian club footed dwarf Chavette wearing a hooded top in the arrival lounge at Birmingham International Airport. Was a tremendous disappointment to an otherwise jolly nice trip home. The Daily Mail has a lot to answer for - they got my hopes right up that I'd at least have a stab wound to remember the visit by
I went home to London last weekend and during the 4 days I was there I was stabbed 5 times, ate something that increased my risk of cancer, was mugged by a 'hoodie', got converted to Islam by an extremist Muslim, and to top it all off a group of Polish people stole all my families jobs! Luckily my family were all able to claim benefits equating to 80 grand a year which is more than most hard working middle class families so now they live in a huge detached house with sky tv, they get a free car AND they dont have to work for a living.

Then I returned to NYC and it was paradise. No crime, no poverty, a fair job market for all....man, we've got it so good over here.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Confused1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bob

As an fyi - I have lost my job on 2 ocassions, but was able on both ocassions to find another position - and yes, I know I am lucky to have been able to do that. As for representative, in this area, Silicon Valley, it is representative, but I agree it is not representative of the US as a whole. Most our friends here in Silicon Valley, who are all college graduates, all own homes, and have some flexibility in their jobs. Those that don't have jobs such as nursing, where this is not really possible. We all have less vacation time than in the UK, but seem to do more with the time we have.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

OMG how gross. But as said earlier, in UK you'd surely be able to fire for that. I mean indecent exposure doesn't even begin to cover that.

Originally Posted by Bob

Exactly. What are the job losses and uninsured figures this year? Even before these economy problems, it was shocking. Now all those extra who have lost their jobs had better pray they don't get sick or have an accident!
Old Sep 5th 2008, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

As an fyi - I have lost my job on 2 ocassions, but was able on both ocassions to find another position - and yes, I know I am lucky to have been able to do that. As for representative, in this area, Silicon Valley, it is representative, but I agree it is not representative of the US as a whole. Most our friends here in Silicon Valley, who are all college graduates, all own homes, and have some flexibility in their jobs. Those that don't have jobs such as nursing, where this is not really possible. We all have less vacation time than in the UK, but seem to do more with the time we have.
You really were lucky. Around us, businesses are closing daily so those who lose a job really have no options or anywhere to turn for another job. They are all SOL.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 6:17 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

You really were lucky. Around us, businesses are closing daily so those who lose a job really have no options or anywhere to turn for another job. They are all SOL.
Yup .. my wife lost her job 15 months ..still never found anything else
and she even tried Walmart ...

Last edited by Ray; Sep 5th 2008 at 7:03 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Confused1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ray
and she even tired Walmart ...
I really do understand that the job situation in the US is not good right now, but are people saying that it is better in the UK? Or that if you can't find a job, at least you have benefits to rely on? Since this recession thing is being felt globally, isn't it the same situation in the UK? What makes the UK situation any better?

Also - should one base decisions on what could happen, or wait and see? I get the feeling that some people would leave the US and move to the UK just because if they lose a job, they may not find another, would not have benefits, and no free healthcare. But why fix it if it is not broke? There is no one answer, everyone's situation is different. Some don't mind the risk, others prefer stability and security.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

I really do understand that the job situation in the US is not good right now, but are people saying that it is better in the UK? Or that if you can't find a job, at least you have benefits to rely on? Since this recession thing is being felt globally, isn't it the same situation in the UK? What makes the UK situation any better?

Also - should one base decisions on what could happen, or wait and see? I get the feeling that some people would leave the US and move to the UK just because if they lose a job, they may not find another, would not have benefits, and no free healthcare. But why fix it if it is not broke? There is no one answer, everyone's situation is different. Some don't mind the risk, others prefer stability and security.
Um, you're partly right, at least from my POV. I'd consider going back home to avoid my senior years being filled with worries about my health.

Mostly I'd go because I just prefer a society that is more prepared to pay through tax when you're earning so you don't have to hold a fundraiser to get your kid chemotherapy if you do lose your job, or like a neighbor local to me have to bury your 20 year old son who commited suicide because the insurance refused to pay for his pain meds to deal with his Chrohn's Disease.

With kids, I'd rather have a life of stability and security than risk, yes.

I'm hanging on hoping things will change at least a little....
Old Sep 5th 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ray
and she even tried Walmart ...
That sucks
Old Sep 5th 2008, 7:06 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

That sucks
Your not kidding ... I never get any peace and quiet now ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.