Reload this Page >

It's gotta be easier than this?

It's gotta be easier than this?

Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

rubydooby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It's gotta be easier than this?

Hi everyone!

Mine is a REALLY simple question; How do i get to live (with my wife and 3 year old daughter) in the States?

I work as a Recovery Auditor in Liverpool, UK, i work for a U.S (Atlanta) company and i want to move to the U.S. (Around St Paul/MN)

I have been in my industry for 7 years, moved companies in Feb 08 and i don't have a degree. I read that i can transfer with my current company after 1 year (Feb '09). OK but what if the company don't want me to move? What if i want to live where they don't have jobs? I'm not an Executive does this matter? Can i find a position with another company in the U.S (same industry?) or would that make the process more difficult?

Other questions a) if i transfer how long before i can get a mortgage? b) How do i become a U.S citizen? c) Is it really this difficult? I'm hard working, honest, no convictions, married and just want a better life in the U.S for my daughter. Is my best option really to go to Canada (please no!) or cross in illegally from Mexico (Joke!) seriously, i'd be a good aquasition for you guys!!

HELP!!!!!!!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:33 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's gotta be easier than this?

its really not easy at all. Look at the wiki on this site - Paulski's Way lists all the possible ways in - check that out and see what you fit.

The employment visas have to be sponsored by the employer - so if your current employer doesnt want to pay/transfer or you dont like where they want to send you - tough. You're tied to the transferring company for the duration of the L1 visa. You quit, then you must leave the US. However if you can persaude them to apply for a Green card for you (again they pay and apply) then once you get it you can work elsewhere (providing they dont make you sign a 'wont leave for x years without repaying GC costs etc clause).

key fact is - the US doesnt want or need you - so you have to go through a lot of hoops and hassle to prove them its worth giving you a chance. Unfortunatly MOST people simply have zero ability to build a sufficient case and just cant come - no matter how much they want to.

Last edited by MsElui; Sep 4th 2008 at 12:35 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:35 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubydooby
Hi everyone!

Mine is a REALLY simple question; How do i get to live (with my wife and 3 year old daughter) in the States?

I work as a Recovery Auditor in Liverpool, UK, i work for a U.S (Atlanta) company and i want to move to the U.S. (Around St Paul/MN)

I have been in my industry for 7 years, moved companies in Feb 08 and i don't have a degree. I read that i can transfer with my current company after 1 year (Feb '09). OK but what if the company don't want me to move? What if i want to live where they don't have jobs? I'm not an Executive does this matter? Can i find a position with another company in the U.S (same industry?) or would that make the process more difficult?

Other questions a) if i transfer how long before i can get a mortgage? b) How do i become a U.S citizen? c) Is it really this difficult? I'm hard working, honest, no convictions, married and just want a better life in the U.S for my daughter. Is my best option really to go to Canada (please no!) or cross in illegally from Mexico (Joke!) seriously, i'd be a good aquasition for you guys!!

HELP!!!!!!!
Read some of the 1000s of other identical threads on this board, read the Wiki and then come back and tell us what visa you're eligible for.

In direct answer to your question - not only is it not easier than you think, it's actually much more difficult than you are assuming.

Based on what little info you've given, your only real chance is to get a company transfer. Even then, if you're not an executive or manager, and particularly given you don't have a degree, you may end up on an L1B visa, which has a slower route to a Green Card than an L1A.

And don't bother thinking about mortgages or citizenship yet... you're not even CLOSE to that stage yet.

Last edited by dbj1000; Sep 4th 2008 at 12:38 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

You see this is why i want to come to the U.S, you're all just so positive all the time!! (Hmmmm?)

How do you know they don't want me? They don't even know me? (JOKE!)

i take on board what you're saying, i will do more research. I guess i assumed the most advanced country on the planet would have managed to come up with a process that i could use simply, even if the answer is 'We don't want you, go away!

The information available JUST seems so vague in parts then so ridiculously specific in others (Must be an Executive or Manager? (Vague!) am i an Executive or Manager? I manage people but my title isn't manager? Apply in April for October? (Specific!) My job needs to start in February? Do i have to wait an entire year?)

Thanks anyway guys.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

The main point is this is not Australia!
I have 2 friends who have moved to Aus with relative ease and I think people get the idea it's the same for other countries.
Unless you have a compelling link (marriage (and even that takes some time and effort) or a work move that is probably driven by the company rather than your own request) you will find it pretty tough.
Good luck if you try though!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

the most advanced country on the planet?!?!?!?!

I think u might have to come over here on holiday and not florida! Did u read the thread about stinky water and floating Poo? Houses made of cardboard! poverty that would make you gag! You might just get a shock! Don/t get me wrong, I like what I have, but this is definately not the land of milk and honey!

I have seen people live in houses that u wouldnt put ur dog in back home. Whole families living in cars. 72 year old men still working FULL TIME to make ends meet. This isnt the dallas!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:50 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Why St Paul. MN? Does your company have an office there?

Your first questions should be to your employer to find out if they can transfer you and if they want to.

We moved here (Pittsburgh PA) from the Wirral three years ago.
I don't know how you feel about Liverpool and I'm sure lots of people will come on and make the usual jokes about the city but I would think carefully before trading Liverpool for most US cities.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I guess i assumed the most advanced country on the planet would have managed to come up with a process that i could use simply, even if the answer is 'We don't want you, go away!
They do have something that simple. If you have some money to throw away and some time, fill in the forms for a visa and send them in. If you can't answer all the questions, you don't qualify. If you can answer the questions, the'll take a look at it and reject you. Simple.

As for most advanced country in the world, you obviously haven't been here. There are areas where the US is decades behind other western countries, especially when technology is involved. Just to give you an idea. It's not uncommon when you pay a bill online or transfer money to somebody for the bank to generate a paper cheque and send it to them in the post. In fact, most banks still use online banking as one of the major wow factors when selling you an account.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Liverpool or Pittsburgh, well from Liverpool, Pittsburgh looks like a better bet to me, although i can understand wanting to leave the Wirral!!

It's like the sun just shines from every post you guys put on here!!

I have been to the States! i got mugged 20 minutes after arriving in LaGuardia bus station in the Eighties, i know what the states is capable of i've seen darkest NY and i've seen beautiful New Hampshire and Vermont!

I understand that the US has problems but if your highs are high your lows are bound to be......well you get it.

In the UK we just have continuous mediocrity, i'll take my chances on a better life and if i end up living in a car, well, i just hope its a nice car, with a sunroof near a beach! i love the UK but i want a better life for my daughter more opportunity and what is one of your countries tag lines....? Land of Opportunity. As for 72 year old men working, says a lot for your healthcare system and you'd expect to die of boredom before that age in the UK!! i live in Liverpool the European Capital of Culture and i'm still unimpressed by the UK so you can only imagine how bad it gets......

Anyway, every journey begins with one step so i guess we'll just take the steps one at a time.....
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess i assumed the most advanced country on the planet would have managed to come up with a process that i could use simply, even if the answer is 'We don't want you, go away!
It actually is that simple. And that's probably the answer, in your case.

Didn't you research all this before letting your family move a quarter of the way around the world?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:37 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Liverpool or Pittsburgh, well from Liverpool, Pittsburgh looks like a better bet to me, although i can understand wanting to leave the Wirral!!

I have been to the States! i got mugged 20 minutes after arriving in LaGuardia bus station in the Eighties, i know what the states is capable of i've seen darkest NY and i've seen beautiful New Hampshire and Vermont!

I understand that the US has problems but if your highs are high your lows are bound to be......well you get it.

In the UK we just have continuous mediocrity, i'll take my chances on a better life and if i end up living in a car, well, i just hope its a nice car, with a sunroof near a beach! i love the UK but i want a better life for my daughter more opportunity and what is one of your countries tag lines....? Land of Opportunity. As for 72 year old men working, says a lot for your healthcare system and you'd expect to die of boredom before that age in the UK!! i live in Liverpool the European Capital of Culture and i'm still unimpressed by the UK so you can only imagine how bad it gets......

Anyway, every journey begins with one step so i guess we'll just take the steps one at a time.....

"Continuous mediocrity" ...that would be a good city motto for Pittsburgh.

I didn't want to leave the Wirral, by the way. My OH was headhunted and we decided to give it a try. It's OK but I would take Liverpool anyday.

The big killer for me is the crappy leave allowance...he only gets two weeks which doesn't give you much time to see this country plus we have found the cost of living to be much higher than Liverpool.
Oh... and the healthcare, good if you get it, not so good for those who don't have insurance.

However every place is different, everyones dreams are different and
you may absolutely love it here, if you get here, and that would be great..so Good Luck.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

i love the UK but i want a better life for my daughter more opportunity and what is one of your countries tag lines....? Land of Opportunity.
Most or all of the folks who answered you so far are Brits.

I'm a yank - haven't been to the UK, but I have been to Europe. Some things are better, some things are worse, some things are just different.

The US is a huge and varied place - someone could hate one state, and if they'd happened to move to a different state, might have loved it.

I have a 100-year-old wooden house - still standing just fine. In fact, I have never noticed a "cardboard" house collapse. Some of the Brits seem to think they will, but I've never noticed one honestly...

My on-line bill paying is entirely electronic - a paper cheque gets sent only in the very rare instance the payee prefers that.

The problem is - lots of folks would like to immigrate here. They will not all fit. So unless you're married to a USC, immigration is not easy at all. The US is not seeking immigrants - it needs to limit them. So unless you have some skill in demand, which benefits the country, you're likely to have a hard time. Doesn't seem nice, I know - but I guess there have to be some limits...
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

davidct is an unknown quantity at this point

These guys are right. I have recently posted for the first time as I have just got my inter company visa. I first visited in 1992, fell in love with the US, and did what you're doing now - looked into how to move over, assuming that it's straightforward, and for 'good' people, they will welcome you with open arms. Sadly, illogically it doesn't work like that. 13 million people can jump over the borders, but as a legitimate person looking to build a life for you and your family, you will need to navigate the complicated visa maze. After visiting first in 1992, and subsequently as often as I can, my opportunity came up a few months ago. From 1992 to 2008 - it's been a long journey. Sixteen years - but I'm moving to Connecticut in two weeks, and I know it'll be worth it. Be patient, be realistic, but don't lose sight of your dream. Find a way to make it happen.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:16 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

As for 72 year old men working, says a lot for your healthcare system and you'd expect to die of boredom before that age in the UK!!
..or run for President here. Plus he might not qualify for his own healthcare policy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.