Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

It's all happening now...

Wikiposts

It's all happening now...

Old Oct 12th 2006, 6:43 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's all happening now...

Originally Posted by BrewMonkey

We'll be moving to Michigan, specifically somewhere commutable to Wixom. There are some small lakes around there that look nice and I've got one week a month over there for work from now until January during which time I'll be doing a recce on the area.

I'm originally from Blackburn and moved to the Cambridge area about 5 years ago, so I know what it's like adjusting to a vastly different culture

Neil.

Ey up!! I'm from Blackburn aswell. I live in Pennsylvania now. I came over here in 2002 to escape working in Sainbury's and met a yank who I married two years later. Now I live here. Its better than Blackburn. Just.
Commiserations on moving to Michigan in January. I hope you like freezing your tits off.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 6:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Got some major decisions to make this coming week regarding how much to push for in the relocation package and how much to take with us. Thinking of shipping some of the major stuff in a container. The company seems to be talking the right way re the expenses and have even offered to bump up my salary to cater for a car, as they don't offer company cars over there but understand that us Europeans (I keep telling them I'm British ) usually get one in the package.
good luck with it, but moving to Michigan, don't think you could push as hard as if you moved to the east or west coast, cost of living not being as harsh out there.

Things worth bringing, decent bed, decent bedding, curtains, most other things you can ditch unless it's highend gear.

If there plumping for a car, and you can blag petrol/insurance, might as well get a honking huge SUV and rag that for a bit
Old Oct 12th 2006, 7:00 am
Brewtastic

BrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sarah
Ey up!! I'm from Blackburn aswell. I live in Pennsylvania now. I came over here in 2002 to escape working in Sainbury's and met a yank who I married two years later. Now I live here. Its better than Blackburn. Just.
Commiserations on moving to Michigan in January. I hope you like freezing your tits off.
Ey up lass. We may even know each other! I used to go to Billinge and then Blackburn college. I worked the doors in Blackburn for a long time - the Cav (Peps, then Utopia) and a few dives like Never Never Land and C'est la vie etc :scared:

Bob, I get what you mean about the cost of living thing - it's a balance between making it worth our while going and not taking the piss. Our finance director already said (half jokingly) that with the salary and relocation expenses I'd be the most expensive employee they have so I'd better be worth it...kind of puts the pressure on!
Old Oct 12th 2006, 7:06 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BsE!!!

Good luck for the move & the wedding! Wow, you must both be very brave, that's 2 of the most stressful things in life, all wrapped up in one! I hope everything works out for you both!

Old Oct 12th 2006, 7:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
good luck with it, but moving to Michigan, don't think you could push as hard as if you moved to the east or west coast, cost of living not being as harsh out there.

Things worth bringing, decent bed, decent bedding, curtains, most other things you can ditch unless it's highend gear.

If there plumping for a car, and you can blag petrol/insurance, might as well get a honking huge SUV and rag that for a bit

Decent bed? Bob the US king size beds are wonderful. We replaced ours last year with a KS memory foam mattress from...yep you guessed it...Costco...it is superb.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 7:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ey up lass. We may even know each other! I used to go to Billinge and then Blackburn college. I worked the doors in Blackburn for a long time - the Cav (Peps, then Utopia) and a few dives like Never Never Land and C'est la vie etc :scared:

Bob, I get what you mean about the cost of living thing - it's a balance between making it worth our while going and not taking the piss. Our finance director already said (half jokingly) that with the salary and relocation expenses I'd be the most expensive employee they have so I'd better be worth it...kind of puts the pressure on!
Make sure your employer will pay for you to return to the UK just in case it doesn't workout stateside. Also pay for you to return for the death of a close relative and try to hang onto your UK holiday entitlement. In writiing, of course.

Don't forget healthcare/dental/optical costs too...how much will you have to pay and extras such as co-pays and meds.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 7:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Decent bed? Bob the US king size beds are wonderful. We replaced ours last year with a KS memory foam mattress from...yep you guessed it...Costco...it is superb.
yeah, but how much more expensive are they over here, bloomin' well pricey for a nice bed/mattress
Old Oct 12th 2006, 7:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bob
yeah, but how much more expensive are they over here, bloomin' well pricey for a nice bed/mattress
Ours was about $750 for the mattress.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 9:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Ours was about $750 for the mattress.
how much for the bed and boxframe?
Old Oct 12th 2006, 10:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bob
how much for the bed and boxframe?

Don't have a box frame...its a sleigh bed. You could put it on one of those horrid metal bed frames...you would have to put some wood supports on the frame. The mattress is very deep...the extra deep sheets only just fit. If we had a box frame I would need a ladder to climb into bed.

Does anyone else hate those old fashioned metal frames? Screwing legs on the base was much better...why don't they use those here?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 12th 2006 at 10:43 am.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 10:55 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey! You were a doorman in Blackburn! Did you have a death wish?
I worked at King Georges Hall as a teenager but I was more the kind of gal who went to The Grapes with her heavy metal-loving mates, drank two diet cokes, talked to her friends all night and then caught the last bus home. I only ever went to C'est La Vie if I wanted to give myself a headache.

After I came back from Uni I worked behind the bar at J.A.M (formerly The White Bull, by the boulevard)
I went to Blackburn college from '93 - '96.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 1:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Does anyone else hate those old fashioned metal frames? Screwing legs on the base was much better...why don't they use those here?
box frame nation, don't have a notion that wood slats could hold the mattress and someone's fat arse without collapsing?

Would leave more room for draws under the bed though wouldn't it...
Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:10 am
Brewtastic

BrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud ofBrewMonkey has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sarah
Crikey! You were a doorman in Blackburn! Did you have a death wish?
It was what you could call 'character building'.

I used to hang out in the Jubilee quite a lot hence my rubbish A-Level results (well, that and being forced to do courses I didn't want to do) and having quite a meandering path to where I am now. I certainly learned a lot more about life during those years

Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions - my To Do list is growing by the minute...
Old Oct 13th 2006, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

newbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond repute

To further complicate things, we're getting married at the end of January and are going to move the week after...

... We've got 3 cats, which will be coming with us. We'll be getting their rabies jabs done in a couple of weeks.
Very best wishes to you - I got married 3 weeks before I moved over, and also brought my 3 cats with me!

Stressful - but worth it (second wedding anniversary on Sunday in fact)!

Old Oct 15th 2006, 5:13 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

It was what you could call 'character building'.

I used to hang out in the Jubilee quite a lot hence my rubbish A-Level results (well, that and being forced to do courses I didn't want to do) and having quite a meandering path to where I am now. I certainly learned a lot more about life during those years

Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions - my To Do list is growing by the minute...
Feel free to send me a private message if you would like to discuss relocation packages - the package I was give seemed amazingly generous at the time, and yet we ended up about $20k out of pocket by the time everything was settled here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.