ITIN / SSN

Old Nov 2nd 2014, 3:16 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default ITIN / SSN

Quick question-
We were told to apply for ITIN for the kids, then accountant realised we could get SSNs for them and told us to get those instead.

I've just got letters from the IRS saying that our application for ITINs has been rejected because we didn't get the information requested back to them in time.

Can I just ignore these letters or do I need to do something?

TIA
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ITIN / SSN

I think you're safe to ignore them.

I would get the SSNs asap as with them, however young the kids are, you're establishing history so when they are ready to get credit cards, mortgages, bank accounts, etc., they have that behind them

Go to the nearest SSA office and do it yourself.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 3:41 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, we've got the SSNs already. Very easy to do , just needed passports and greencards. Of course, I took along the boxfile with all our documentation just in case. Still traumatised after living in France and having to deal with bureaucracy there.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Ignore the letter. If you can otherwise get an ssn then you can't get an itin anyway.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Thanks, we've got the SSNs already. Very easy to do , just needed passports and greencards. Of course, I took along the boxfile with all our documentation just in case. Still traumatised after living in France and having to deal with bureaucracy there.
An ex-employer of mine (who got me a work permit in Canada) once told me: "When dealing with bureaucracy, bring a nuclear bomb even if you're only trying to kill a fly."
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 1:43 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
An ex-employer of mine (who got me a work permit in Canada) once told me: "When dealing with bureaucracy, bring a nuclear bomb even if you're only trying to kill a fly."

Did he live in France by any chance....
I have enough shitty bureaucrat stories to write a book. One theme in common though is their thoroughness in making sure that they find the one document that you don't have with you, even if they have to lie about it.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

I have enough shitty bureaucrat stories to write a book. One theme in common though is their thoroughness in making sure that they find the one document that you don't have with you, even if they have to lie about it.
I remember the préfectures were very good at that.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 8:02 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by audio
I remember the préfectures were very good at that.
oh the prefecture...
went to exchange UK driving license, queued f-o-r-e-v-e-r....the look on the woman's face was priceless as she realised that I had all the required paperwork..then she said she needed her boss to check it all. Came back smiling - telling me that my UK paper license didn't say which categories I could drive. OH had lost my card license. Told me I'd have to take a driving test in France.

I went home ready to murder OH. Fortunately I phoned DVLC first and OMG, they were able to send me the certificate in FRENCH that I needed. Wales 1:France 0
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Well done I am dreading the French bureaucracy went my parents die. I know they have a very strict procedure when death occurs and it probably works very well when you are a French native. However, I know my parents have a couple of UK bank accounts and various insurance policies so that is going to complicate things. Given that I do not speak French and neither do my sisters, we are going to have to rely on some very helpful neighbours when the time comes which unfortunately will be sooner rather than later.

Still, no doubt our kids will be saying the same when we die with UK accounts and pensions.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 8:33 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by jjmb
Well done I am dreading the French bureaucracy went my parents die. I know they have a very strict procedure when death occurs and it probably works very well when you are a French native. However, I know my parents have a couple of UK bank accounts and various insurance policies so that is going to complicate things. Given that I do not speak French and neither do my sisters, we are going to have to rely on some very helpful neighbours when the time comes which unfortunately will be sooner rather than later.

Still, no doubt our kids will be saying the same when we die with UK accounts and pensions.
Hopefully, your parents have had their wills prepared? Been to see the notaire about alleviating death duties? ( pay in advance and it's cheaper(!!!)) Inheritance law is different too.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully, your parents have had their wills prepared? Been to see the notaire about alleviating death duties? ( pay in advance and it's cheaper(!!!)) Inheritance law is different too.
No French will although they have arrange various things with the Notaire, such as funerals and as far as I know haven't paid any death duties. To be honest, doubt there will be any money left as Mum is very ill and has a nurse in twice a day now. As heirs are responsible for any debts regardless of whether they live in France or not, that is my most immediate concern once the formalities are done with. Doubt they would pursue me here or my sister in Australia but apparently they do have the power do so in the UK, so my other sisters could be held responsible.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

No, my employer was Canadian. He also happens to be the smartest person I have ever met in my life. He went in to a personal hearing with an immigration official to attempt to fast track a work permit for me. He brought every single job ad that he had posted going back years. He brought detailed information to every response he had to every ad as well as detailed information on the qualifications and experience of every applicant. He also painstakingly walked the official through his notes on every interview and why candidates were found to be unsuitable for the position. 45 mins into the meeting and with no end in sight (the official eyeing the mountain of paperwork my employer had yet to get through), the immigration official simply gave up and said that she'd seen enough. My work permit was approved on the spot. Like he said, nuclear bomb to kill a fly.