Isabitcrazy

Old Sep 15th 2003, 6:51 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Isabitcrazy

Isabel is on a world tour and it looks like its visiting my town (or at the very least coming very close) at the end of this week. The Weather channel are here already so its pretty clear they think its on its way.

The problem is everyone seems to have gone nuts! You have to listen to the radio to find out which store has new supplies of what as both walmarts ran out of water and batteries this weekend. Most of the supermarkets ran out batteries and are very low on water, bread is also scarce.

We actually bought water and supplies early on in the year but we needed a few last minute things. They are telling everyone to get cash asap before the atm's run out(?) and that electricity will be turned off up to 12 hours before she is due to hit!

I have one thing to say on the whole thing

They don't like it up 'em!

Patrick
Old Sep 15th 2003, 6:59 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

No, they most certainly don't!

Be safe Patrick, and remember alcohol is a muscle relaxant so make sure you have plenty on hand.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Chin up matey ....... face it like a true Brit .... in the bunker at the bottom of your garden !

Thinking of you n Ellen ... and all other friends in NC area

Jan )
Old Sep 15th 2003, 7:11 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Isabitcrazy

Originally posted by Patrick
Isabel is on a world tour and it looks like its visiting my town (or at the very least coming very close) at the end of this week. The Weather channel are here already so its pretty clear they think its on its way.

The problem is everyone seems to have gone nuts! You have to listen to the radio to find out which store has new supplies of what as both walmarts ran out of water and batteries this weekend. Most of the supermarkets ran out batteries and are very low on water, bread is also scarce.

We actually bought water and supplies early on in the year but we needed a few last minute things. They are telling everyone to get cash asap before the atm's run out(?) and that electricity will be turned off up to 12 hours before she is due to hit!

Patrick
Take care, both of you. And be in touch Here's a link from MSN.com.
http://www.msnbc.com/news/961894.asp...520031205#BODY
Old Sep 15th 2003, 7:40 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

yikes, glad I decided against visiting the Outer Banks this week.

It's amazing, my employer has already notified us to stay home on Thursday, and I live inland Northern VA.

This from the Washington Post:

Emergency officials in the District of Columbia worked to obtain additional sandbags and planned meetings Monday with other department and critical services leaders.

"Then we're going to pray," said Peter LaPorte, director of Washington's Emergency Management Agency.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 8:06 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Stumpyguy
alcohol is a muscle relaxant so make sure you have plenty on hand.
I was the only one at the supermarket stocking up with beer. I thought if I am going to be trapped inside my house with no electricity for 3 days I am not attempting it sober!!!!

And if we have to evacuate (mandatory on the island for a cat3 or above as the island disappears under water!) then I am going stocked with booze!

Patrick
Old Sep 15th 2003, 8:15 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Patrick
Here's an idea to drum up some business. Maybe Patrick can print and sell the t-shirts that bear the imortal quote "I lived through Isabel 2003!" He could sell them along the east coast of NC!

I know Americans like that kind of thing

NC Penguin
Old Sep 15th 2003, 11:46 pm
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point

I said it on the other thread but I'll repeat it here - Good Luck Patrick, hope you and yours make it through Isabelle in one piece.
The beer sounds like a good idea though, we have heard of people having hurricane parties, since theres not much else you can do (apart from hiding in the cupboard!).

Have you got somewhere to evacuate to, if it comes to that? Our friends in Morehead City are coming to us if they need to evac but theres no garuantee that she will bypass Raleigh, I'm just hoping it is not another Fran. Fran completely missed Morehead and plowed straight into Raleigh in '96 but I'm not sure if it hit Wilmington on the way in...?

Anyway best of luck,

Emm.
Old Sep 16th 2003, 1:03 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Are you going to be an on-the-spot reporter for us Patrick ?
(If you've got an XDA or Laptop with Bluetooth to a GRPS mobile phone ?)

My wife is originally from Miami and she went through Hurricane Andrew. Starting to get all wound up about this one, but as I said - she survived a Force 5.
Me ? Typically English and level headed. Nothing to worry about - we'll be fine.

*The dinner scene from Carry On Up The Kyber just floated through my head*

Isn't is weird that talking about the weather was supposed to a British obsession. (Every time I met an American in the UK I always said to them - if you've got nothing to talk about or want to start a conversation - talk about the weather !)
But we are in no way as obsessed as they are here.
The local news channels spend most of their broacast talking about it...
Well actually they've got nothing else to talk about, but anyway...
They even interupt a TV show to tell you about a thunderstorm coming through.
Local channel even interuppted the Kentucky Derby
*Shakes fist at television*

Ah ! Speak of the devil - our friends with the SuperDuperDoppler Radar have just come on..........
Looks like the Outer Banks and the islands there are going to be in the eye of the storm.

I've changed my mind.
Get out of there Patrick - Head for the hills !

------------------
"Go to red alert !"

"Are you sure ? - It does mean changing the light bulb"
Old Sep 16th 2003, 1:30 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, good luck Patrick, it looks like you are going to need a little; though I see that it has been downgraded to a category 4 hurricane - winds only a sustained 125mph! :scared:
Old Sep 17th 2003, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

It isn't expected until when? Thursday? You have some time yet. Don't forget all of the motels and hotels will be booked up for many miles. I remember seeing last time the freeways came to a standstill the day before and people were stuck in traffic for 5 hours. There was a call for a more orderly evacuation plan afterwards.

Patrick
Old Sep 17th 2003, 1:04 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

I've just noticed on the homepage for the UK govt. website in the US that they've set up a couple of emergency phone numbers at the US Embassy in DC for British nationals who are affected by Hurricane Isabel:

http://www.britain-info.org

Don't know what help they think they can provide though!
Old Sep 17th 2003, 4:50 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Update from Central NC (on Isabel) -->

- The local news reported on preparations over here.

Isabel is now a catagory 2 and not as worrysome as previous days, but of course there are reporters on the scene who are going to stay there when it hits land. (Dumb asses)

Coverage of a drainage crew cleaning out all the sewers for the expected flood water. (Seriously)

Lowes have set up a disaster emergency center - they are co-ordinating the sending of woodchip boards over to the coastal stores.
Nothing like commerce to bring the best out of people.
(Someone has to make a profit out of all of this)

- Local TV news sucks donkey balls big time.
Give me Stuart Hall and NorthWest Tonight anytime !
(Incedently BBC News have just given it coverage on the lunchtime news and as predicted by me the night before - the old man will be calling us soon, which he did at 8am this morning.)
------

How are things over in Raleigh ?
The capital should feel more of it than us.

I assume that Patrick has been ordered to hightail it to the hills - but if you are still there - give us a sign.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 5:14 pm
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by afosuk
Update from Central NC (on Isabel) -->

- The local news reported on preparations over here.

Isabel is now a catagory 2 and not as worrysome as previous days, but of course there are reporters on the scene who are going to stay there when it hits land. (Dumb asses)

Coverage of a drainage crew cleaning out all the sewers for the expected flood water. (Seriously)

Lowes have set up a disaster emergency center - they are co-ordinating the sending of woodchip boards over to the coastal stores.
Nothing like commerce to bring the best out of people.
(Someone has to make a profit out of all of this)

- Local TV news sucks donkey balls big time.
Give me Stuart Hall and NorthWest Tonight anytime !
(Incedently BBC News have just given it coverage on the lunchtime news and as predicted by me the night before - the old man will be calling us soon, which he did at 8am this morning.)
------

How are things over in Raleigh ?
The capital should feel more of it than us.

I assume that Patrick has been ordered to hightail it to the hills - but if you are still there - give us a sign.
Raleigh

We have no TV here so I can't watch the rediculous farce that is going on. I have been keeping an eye on:
http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tr...rmdetails.html and
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov
to keep abreast of developments.

It looks like we will get a tropical storm at least and may well get the full impact again, if like Fran it turns at the last minute.

The stores here sold out of generators over the weekend and most stores have been having emergency deliveries of water, batteries, etc. daily.

The radio is playing the risk down but all the residents who were here in '96 and went through Fran are preparing for the worst. The schools are considering their options for tomorrow but it wouldn't surprise me if they shut for the day rather than risk having to get all the kids home early.

Looks like our friends in Morehead City have a greater chance of being in the place it comes to shore than Patrick in Wilmington, but I wouldn't want to be in either place right now.

Looking out the window though, it is a beautiful sunny day - talk about calm before the storm - if you had no news you'd never know it was coming!

Are you around Patrick?

Emm.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

What cracks me up about the news reporters that cover these weather events, is that they stand outside when its pissing down with rain, nearly getting blown off their feet, just for the sake of showing us how bad it actually is. Its like dude, we can see its pretty windy and wet, now step back into the TV truck and finish off your report.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.