Wikiposts

IRS and Tax

Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

robUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: IRS and Tax

Originally Posted by nun
While you remain resident in the UK your wife should file "married separately". It will avoid lots of complications. Don't open yourself up to the IRS and US until you have to. Once you are in the US you and your wife will need to decide whether to file jointly of separately.

Before you join your wife in the US make sure you fully understand the US tax implications of your UK business and any UK investments you hold as when you become US resident the IRS will tax you on your worldwide income. In many cases it's a good idea to sell your investments and move them to the US as there are complex and potentially expensive rules about holding foreign investments and accounts. If you decide to keep them make sure you understand FBAR, FATCA and PFIC rules......any UK pensions, stocks and shares ISAs or unit trusts will be particularly troublesome. You business will also be a complication.
Thank you for your reply.
I am a partner of the UK business and a director but I shall be resigning as both before joining my wife so hopefully that won't cause any issues?

I do have an ISA but I can close it before also.

Rob
Old Nov 19th 2012, 11:48 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robUK81
Thank you for your reply.
I am a partner of the UK business and a director but I shall be resigning as both before joining my wife so hopefully that won't cause any issues?

I do have an ISA but I can close it before also.

Rob
If you maintain any stock options or shares in the company you'll have to file both US and UK taxes. Do you know how you'll invest your money once in the US? Do you have any UK pensions? Will you be working in the US and are you going to pay voluntary Class 2 NI contributions? What are you going to do for health insurance once in the USA? Just some of the questions you should research.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

robUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by nun
If you maintain any stock options or shares in the company you'll have to file both US and UK taxes. Do you know how you'll invest your money once in the US? Do you have any UK pensions? Will you be working in the US and are you going to pay voluntary Class 2 NI contributions? What are you going to do for health insurance once in the USA? Just some of the questions you should research.
Thank you for the info. That gives me more to consider

Rob
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Do I need to inform HMRC that I'm married to a USC?

Rob
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 7:03 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

No. Your taxed under a personal allowance if you are emplyed, your marital status is not relevent.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
No. Your taxed under a personal allowance if you are emplyed, your marital status is not relevent.
Thank you

Rob
Old Jan 20th 2013, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Hi guys
My wife is just filing her return as Married-Individual but she can't post it electronically with out a tax ID number for me. I'm a non alien resident waiting for her I-130 petition to be processed and am currently residing in the UK. Please can someone tell me if this is right or not?
Old Jan 20th 2013, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is just filing her return as Married-Individual but she can't post it electronically with out a tax ID number for me. I'm a non alien resident waiting for her I-130 petition to be processed and am currently residing in the UK.
I've really no idea about this, but she can print it off and simply mail in the tax return. There's no obligation to file electronically.

Ian
Old Jan 20th 2013, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I've really no idea about this, but she can print it off and simply mail in the tax return. There's no obligation to file electronically.

Ian
Thanks Ian. It appears to be a limitation within 'TurboTax' and indeed I think she needs to print off and write No SSN/TIN.
I don't want a TIN yet, it will only complicate matters.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 1:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

It appears to be a limitation within 'TurboTax' and indeed I think she needs to print off and write No SSN/TIN.
I guess the alternative is to enter 000-00-0000 and then file electronically... but I've no idea if that's kosher.

Ian
Old Jan 20th 2013, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I guess the alternative is to enter 000-00-0000 and then file electronically... but I've no idea if that's kosher.

Ian
She's going to call the software people tomorrow and then the IRS if she really must.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys
My wife is just filing her return as Married-Individual but she can't post it electronically with out a tax ID number for me. I'm a non alien resident waiting for her I-130 petition to be processed and am currently residing in the UK. Please can someone tell me if this is right or not?
Do you mean that she is filing "Married Filing Separately"? If that is the case, then your name and social security number is not required. She can't file "Married Filing Jointly" to get the tax benefits unless you opt to be classified as a "resident alien" for tax purposes and then you will need either a social security number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) which can be requested when the tax return is filed but the return must be filed via snail mail.

If an ITIN is requested, then your worldwide income has to be included on her return and taxes owed to the IRS may be able to be offset by foreign taxes paid.

Last edited by Michael; Jan 20th 2013 at 5:00 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Michael
Do you mean that she is filing "Married Filing Separately"? If that is the case, then your name and social security number is not required. She can't file "Married Filing Jointly" to get the tax benefits unless you opt to be classified as a "resident alien" for tax purposes and then you will need either a social security number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) which can be requested when the tax return is filed but the return must be filed via snail mail.

If an ITIN is requested, then your worldwide income has to be included on her return and taxes owed to the IRS may be able to be offset by foreign taxes paid.
Yes sorry "Married Filing Separately". Apparently TurboTax in the past had an NRA option where the SSN is required but due to new IRS guidelines this is no longer a feature of the software. Software support pages have advised to type NRA and allow the program to report an error as it is expecting numerical values, then print the pages off and manually add "NRA" and file the return via snail mail as you suggested.

Thank you all for your valued input
Old Jan 21st 2013, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

She cannot file at all yet as the IRS is not open for business yet for 2012 returns.

She can put NRA in the box for spouse SSN until you have an ITIN or SSN and file MFS.

You will want to compare with making a 6013(g) election and filing jointly if this saves you tax overall.