Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Irish born boyfriend with American dad

Irish born boyfriend with American dad

Old Oct 19th 2014, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Lololvvs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Irish born boyfriend with American dad

A bit of a back story, my boyfriend's grandparents moved to New Jersey back in 1928 from Wales and had my boyfriend's dad who was born in 1930.

When my boyfriend'a Dad was 2 years old they moved back to Wales where he grew up. My boyfriend's dad married my boyfriend's mom (an Irish citizen without any American ties) and my boyfriend was born in Ireland.

My question is, does this entitle my boyfriend to any American citizenship/visa/green card/anything if his dad is an American citizen and born in the US?

Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 19th 2014, 4:46 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irish born boyfriend with American dad

I sure someone who knows more about this than I do will answer shortly, but I thnk in order to answer they will need to know if your boyfriends Dad ever returned to live in the USA. If so at what age and for how long.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

No, he never went back to live in the US after he left at 2 years old. He has visited many times though.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lololvvs
No, he never went back to live in the US after he left at 2 years old. He has visited many times though.
Then you are out of luck.

Your boyfriend's father would have to have lived in the US for at least 5 years (2 of which must be after the age of 14) in order to be able to pass his US citizenship to a child who was born outside of the US - and that is if your boyfriend was born after 1986, which I assume that he probably wasn't. If he was born between 1952 and 1986 then it is 10 years and if he was born before 1952 I am not sure what happens ...

Citizenship Through Parents | USCIS

Last edited by md95065; Oct 19th 2014 at 5:18 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

I figured that might be the case. Is there any chance my boyfriend would get a visa or green card even for a limited amount of time? Ie. 2 years
Old Oct 19th 2014, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I figured that might be the case. Is there any chance my boyfriend would get a visa or green card even for a limited amount of time? Ie. 2 years
He can get a visa if he is qualified for one.

Since he was born in Ireland he should be eligible to enter the green card lottery - the chances of getting a green card that way are very small but it would still be worth applying since, if you don't apply, the chance is zero.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Marriage it is then!
Old Oct 19th 2014, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marriage it is then!
... and that would help because ... you are a US citizen. perhaps ...

If you are a US citizen then, yes, absolutely, marriage is likely to be by far the easiest way for your boyfriend to be able to get a visa and live with you in the US.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your help! I am an American.